CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 2 yr. old walker female who i finished at the end of last season......about two nights ago she took off straight for a deer.....right now i have a breaking scents on her collars for the past five days.....my question is what would make her run them out of nowhere as in all of the sudden.....and what would you suggest.......to get this in control....3 weeks till kill season.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:01 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

SHOCK COLLAR is the best way to break her. wear it on her everytime you hunt her until she is broke. never let something happen too many times cause it will make it WAY tougher to break. GOO LUCK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:17 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The breaking scents.If you ask me is a waste of money..Get a shocking collar........Some dogs will only run a deer once or twice a year.Its usually during deer season when bucks chase does.Both smell a lot stronger then..Then you have other dogs that will run a deer all the time.Because its fun......A shocking collar is the only way to break them.It can still take years to do it.For some dogs if they are real hard headed.

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:59 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

She most likely jumped one, and could not resist chasing something that just ran away from her.

Read the other thread below this one. It has just about every idea on braking dogs off deer.

Good luck,

Steve

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:34 am 
IP:
Well, I think the real truth of the matter is this. MOST dogs will run a little trash every once in a while no matter how "broke" we think they are or how broke they really are. There are a trillion reasons why a dog takes a little spin down trash alley every once in a while. The thing to keep in mind is this. Be ready to remind them this is not a good idea. An e-collar is generally the best way to do it. I like to take my dogs deer and elk hunting every once in a while. I look for them to cross a road or watch for some out in a field. I will then set my so called "broke" dogs up for a little temptation. If they show a little interest I am ready on the button to remind them this is not a good idea. Dogs is dogs and they all will remind us of this fact every once in a while.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:42 am 
IP:
BRAUN wrote:
I have a 2 yr. old walker female who i finished at the end of last season......about two nights ago she took off straight for a deer.....right now i have a breaking scents on her collars for the past five days.....my question is what would make her run them out of nowhere as in all of the sudden.....and what would you suggest.......to get this in control....3 weeks till kill season.

The odds are that the dog didn't run it out of no where. She's probably been dabling with deer for a while. I'm with LCk in that most dogs mess with trash every now and then. I also think breaking scents are a waste of time. Use a collar and take her out for a deer hunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for all the responses.....i have the shock collar ready to roll i guess well have to light her up this weekend.......thanks for the input

Post subject: deer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:30 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

deer are coming into heat.................dogs will give chase more then ever at this time of yr. use the e-collor for a refresher