CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Circle'in around
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a problem: took my B&T 14 mos out last night and he opened real nice, started trailing well and when I heard him over and over again with big bawls in the same spot I walked in to where I could see him. He was just circle'in around these hardwoods bawling like he was dying. He never treed and I didn't shine the trees (don't want that bad habit) but I am fairly certain a coon was in one of those trees he was circle'in around. I ended up pull'in him out of there on lead. Any suggestions?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:12 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Is that the only time he's done it?

Chetek Bulldogs- Playoffs Level 4

Calkins- #11 on Coondawgs post list.

Home of:
Calkins' Northern White Raider

Signature Edit by Admin and Reason Account is Now Banned.

A dog is only as good as the man's word that's selling it.

Post subject: circle'in around
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

No he actually has done it several times, when other dogs tree he still tracks, can't locate tree or something?

Post subject: circle'in tree
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:29 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

He isn't putting two and two together that the tree is the end of the trail and that he should stop and tree or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:02 pm 
IP:
Maybe running bobcats. By circling are they tight circles. Like on say an acre or relatively loose circles?

Post subject: circle'in the tree
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't think bob cats are in the area, I live in Indiana.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:39 pm 
IP:
I've never hunted in indana. However. I believe bobcats are in all of the lower 48. Bobcats also will sometimes run in circles. If he's staying in like a couple acre radius I'd say he's not running bobcats but if he's running big circles its a possibility.

Post subject: bobcats
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I never thought of Bobcats I will keep my eye on ground for tracks.
I did have some progress last night he opened and tracked well good death bawl every 16 to 20 seconds. ( I have been counting the time that passes between them for future competion hunts, I think once they open they have to continue on track silent for no more than a min. at least thats the way I interpeted the rule), when he started treeing I was close enough to yell the command "STAY" now I know in the world of competion hunting this is wrong, probably in most regards it's wrong. But it worked he stayed at the bottom of the tree banging away with great choppy barks, trying to climb it as it was slightly bent over. I tied him at the base of the tree and looked for a long time to find the coon. there were vines and cross logs everywhere I couldn't find the damn thing and really wanted to reward him. It might have been a slick tree but the light I have pretty much sucks and I probably missed it in the tangle of branches. I packed it in after that (I need a new light). anyway maybe time and patience will prevail. "Train" definately has talent at least in my opinion based on some of the dogs I have hunted with in the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:22 pm 
IP:
Here give this a read and it will tell youa bit about the Indiana bobbies
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/publicat ... bobcat.htm
Not many around but there are a slight few.Bobcats are starting to thrive in Illinois.We ought to see some of it sooner or later.

Post subject: circle'in
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks techno, I am really surprised to hear that Bobcats are in Indiana. by the looks of the map they are outside of my area but the could be up my way. thanks again.

Post subject: Bobcats
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't know exactly where Avon is but I live in Southeastern Indiana and the past week I know my old redbone has treed three of them. I saw two of the three bail out on her and the chase was on again. I dont really know about the third time but every time I would get close to the tree I would shine up to see what tree she was on then Bam she took off on another track. This old female is right about 8 or 9 years old and is a absolute stay put tree dog. So I know for sure there are a bunch down here!!

Good luck with figuring what to do cause I cant seem to!! Just Kidding!!

John Livingston

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:49 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

If you're running a bobcat, you will definitely know it. Your dogs will bust out of hearing and they will be treed. As you are walking into them, they will bust out again and tree again. If you don't catch them right away, you may be in for one of the longest nights of walking you ever had in the woods lol. It's hard to get close to a treed cat with lights and if you do, most likely it's getting tired and going up every 100 yards or so. You will definitely know it if it's a cat (atleast after you walk in 3 or 4 times and your dog is gone LOL)

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:20 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

maybe our dog is windin a lay up coon but ant sure wich tree his in

Post subject: circle'in
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:35 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for all of the help I am new to this sport and this web site and everyones input is really helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:32 pm 
IP:
"He was just circle'in around these hardwoods bawling like he was dying. He never treed and I didn't shine the trees (don't want that bad habit) but I am fairly certain a coon was in one of those trees he was circle'in around"

Is shining the trees a bad habit? When my dog trees, or when he is circleing a few very close trees I shine them to see if his treeing is correct, or if he is at least close to doing the right thing. I don't praise him unless he is accurate, but I wouldn't know if he was accurate if I couldn't see the coon myself.