CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

does anyone have any advice on breaking a dog from coyotes and fox?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:55 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Find someone that's got a fox pen near you and turn them in there with the ole electricity on em!

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

If you dont have a shock collar, you can use an electric fence. kill a fox, cut some of the fur off next to the foot, wrap it in the electric fence, and let your dog on it.

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1Timothy 3:16.

(706)889-5083

Wrights Midnight Blue Kennels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If ya dont have a shock collar im not sure what you could do, my grandpa always used to tell me when I was little that if my dogs ran trash, mostly deer to put the dog in a barrell with a deer carcass and roll it down a hill, the dog would never want anything to do with deer again. Never saw it done before but if it works im sure it would do the same for fox and coyotes. Not sure if thats just a tale he told me or if they really did the days before shock collars lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

sometimes r grandparents did stuff we shouldnt do anymore........not to mention it seems like a good way to break your dogs trust in you and in barrels......here i got one.......y dont you put a muzzle on your dog then put a choke stick on him and stick him in the catch circle of a pist off yote, i bet that would work! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Got to make it uncomfortable for him to chase em'. E collar all the way...

I will say this. Here is my advice for using any negative reinforcement on your hounds. If you aren't willing to subject yourself to it, then don't do it to your dog. If you will not walk up and grab an electric fence yourself, then don't subject your dog to it. Now obviously I'm not saying you should wear an e collar, but I think everyone should be willing to hit themselves on the leg with it. I know a lot of people won't agree with me on this, and that's fine. Maybe I've grown too soft. I think it's just the decent way to be.

I've seen a lot of little "tricks", many of them the wrong ones, from when I was a younger hunter. I've seen a hound leashed and beaten with a chain lead for over a minute over treeing a possum one time. I wasn't an experienced houndsman then (okay, I still would not think of myself as an experienced houndsman, but...), but I didn't think what the boy was doing was right. It was his dog and I was along for the ride. I look back and I wish I would've said something to him...

Joey

Post subject: breaking them
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have had some success with breaking scents, however the dog must be by themselves. It is always easier to train a dog when it is by itself, (unless you have a really good finished pup trainer) or else it will pick up all the horrible habbits a few things I found is to have a carcass or skin of the animal you want it to break and run it like a drag, around your house. you hide behind the corner of the house and everytime the dog runs past yoke him up and scold him no beating or shocking necessary. Then repeat the steps with the desired game animal and instead of yoking him up praise the hell out of him. if your dog has any brains and loyalty it will pick up faster than you think. but breaking scents are not expensive and very easy to use get them at cabelas, bass pro, gander mountain or online
good luck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

wheeler,
if you dont beat a dog, its never gonna learn.
thats my opinion, but you have yours.
you have to let it know that thats not what its after, i bet that dog never had a false tree that whole season.........