CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Advice Needed Please
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:47 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have a walker female that has been pretty tough for the last year. She had a great season last year as a young 2 yr old. She had a good spring and summer as well, and she also started out the season great too. She was treeing a couple of coons a night, and when she treed, she had the meat! Honestly, she was as accurate as they come. She hadn't had a bad night in 9 months at least, and I knew she was due to have one, and she did. No biggie. Well, last week she had two bad nights in a row. The one night I think the coons weren't down. She made a den and an obvious slick. Then Friday night, she looked really poor, we killed 3 coons and none of them she treed. She treed a den and a slick while an old bluetick treed two behind her that she went right past. She's been getting more wild the more I hunt her. She hunts fast, with her head up. She acts like she has to get through the country to find a coon. Could she just be passing up coon to bust through the country? Could the slick trees be because we're shooting coons out? That's never really had an effect on her before. However this is really only her 2nd season. I don't want this dog to go south on me, because she really is a COONDOG. Last season, at the end of the year, ground was frozen and coons were rutting, and she was the only one who could still keep on treeing coons. I just don't want her to go sour on me. I've thought alot about her since Friday and I'm losing sleep....sad isn't it? Sound advice would be great! :) Thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Hello?????
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:22 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Anyone have some good advice I what I should do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:49 pm 
IP:
I would hold off on shooting coon out to her for a while and see if that doesn't help. A lot of dogs look REAL good at an early age and then kind of fall apart once they meet maturity = around 2. How many nights a week are you hunting this dog and for how long on each drop? Has this gyp come into heat yet? A lot of dogs this age go through what I call the idiot stage. This is what it kind of sounds like to me. This usually happens right around this age as well. If it is just the idiot stage, they usually grow out of it. I generally lay them up for a while or at least not hunt them as much as they grow a bit more and get through it. Another thing to consider is the dog looking for something else to run such as fox or maybe coyote? Sometimes young dogs get to running other things once or twice and decide they like it better, so they go a hunting for it rather than coon. Just some suggestions. I know it is as frustrating as it gets. Too hard to tell for sure whats really going.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:04 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

LCK,
We've been hunting her 3 days a week a couple hours a night. In the 3 bad nights she's had, 2 of them have been with strange dogs or a strange person. I'm hoping its just an idiot stage she's going through. Last night, she treed one with the other dogs(it was a red hot coon), came into a tree with the other dogs and treed one, ran one in a log laying over the river and got bit :). Then slipped off and treed one by herself. She looked more like the dog I know last night. I don't think she's running anything fast, I'm not saying she's not, but it doesn't appear that way. Do you think I should lay her up for awhile and see what happens, keep hunting her, try and hunt her with dogs she's not used to and see??? She's a pretty decent hound, and I'm kind of proud of her.....maybe that's my problem ;) Thanks LCK.....let me know what you think I might need to do. I was planning on hunting her again tonight. Maybe I shouldn't??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:38 am 
IP:
Hunt her again tonight, and see how she does. She might do better with a day or two lay off between hunts. Sometimes dogs just kind of unravel if hunted back to back a bunch. I guess if it were me, I would push her pretty hard until she started messing up, like you desribed. Then I would only hunt her about every third or fourth night for a while and see how she handles it. It could go either way. My gut feeling is she might do better for now only being hunted every couple of days or so. At least until she gets through this stage. It's all kind of guess work, but I suspect time will tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:53 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

LCK,
Thanks for the help. We'll see what happens here in the next few weeks. Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:34 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

LCK,
Well, she looked like an idiot last night. We only treed one coon, but she passed right by it, and another dog come in right behind her and treed it. She was with 2 unfamilar dogs......do you suppose there is a correlation between strange dogs and her behavior. She's always been a little backward towards other dogs.....she just flat out blew by this coon. I'm going to lay her up on Friday and planned on hunting with a couple of old-timers that I haven't hunted with in a few years, which would be a new situation for this dog. Or is this a bad idea???

Post subject: dog
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm not trying to poke in here , but I read your post, it sounds like to me she's a oneway dog, I had one that would do the same thing yours does, b\c she does not like running with other dogs especialy strange ones. reason she past the coon up is jealousy she wants her own coon BY HERSELF, see what I'm saying, but maybe I'm wrong. Listen to lck he knows his stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:29 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I agree with you. I think she is somewhat that way. The thing I don't get is if she knows the dogs she's hunting with, she has no problem treeing with them. Also, she had a chance to tree that coon before the other dog and she didn't. It's amazing how she can look so good one night and then a pile of manure another.....she's young and I should cut her some slack, but I know what she is capable of. Thanks for your input. Don't feel you were poking in. I appreciate being able to talk about this. It definitely helps! And you're right, LCK does know what he's talking about. Take care