CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a black and tan and a walker both males. i want to hunt them together but as soon as i walk the black and tan up to the walker he gets real mean and starts growling and will attack my walker. does any one know how to break that?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:22 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

E COLLARS WORK BUT YOU GOT TO HIT THEM THE FIRST TIME THEY CURL A LIP AT THE OTHER DOG AND ABOUT EVERYTIME AFTER THAT ATLEAST A GOOD 20 TO 30 DAYS IN A ROW ....AGE OF BOTH DOGS???? MAY CONSIDER NEUTERING THE DOG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:59 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Most folks don't like to hear reality, but the only cure for an agressive dog is a .22 magnum.
An agressive dog will cause all your good dogs to go bad, and all your hunting buddies to disappear.

Home Of World Champion OMCBA Gr.Sq.Ch. Culbertson's Wild Rose
Nt.Ch. Tree Time Galloway's Burley
Sq.Ch. Fowler Creek Stacy
W.Tr.Ch. Tree Time Maggie

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:36 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

yeah i like an e collar but its alot of work and like he said u gotta do it for a month streight and like he said again ur huntin buddies will b gone by then i had a pup do that and i only gave her a pop in the mouth and next time i took her huntin she REALLY lit into a dog luckily it was a lead dog so id didnt wreck him cuz it woulda wrecked a pup so i got to her and wrecker her ##*%* i mean monkey stomped that dog till i could see her depression in the ground and i had to do it once more after that and now i gotta keep an eye on her but i havent had another problem so remind him your in charge and beat that fucker for it and if it dont help i hate to say it but sell her or shoot her cuz its only one step from biting a dog to biting a kid and after they bite a person or a kid thats a dead dog in my kennels it could b my best dog and if he turned on some1 for nothing hes in the ground with a hole in his head

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:03 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I agree with MountainMan. Put the dog down. Don't sell it or give it away. If you absolutely have to keep it have him neutered so there's no possiblility he can reproduce and keep him away from other dogs. I would just put him down and start over.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

x2 cull the dog.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

CULL....Dont waste your time or wreck your other dogs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:35 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

hell man get u a good strong tree limb and whoop him when he goes to getting mean if u do this about 2 times and it doesnt bother the dog at all put a bullet in him there are to many good hounds out there to wast time with a mean one i had a big bluetick like that once

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:36 pm 
IP:
I dont know a lot about coondogs im just kinda trying to get into but I have work other dogs a little bit. I dont know how it would work in the woods at a tree when your not around them and it sound kinda silly to someone whos serious about working dogs but the dog whisperer stuff works good on dogs around the yard or house. If that dog sees you as doninant or whatever you want to call it he wont see any need to fight the other dog. The other thing is everyone says dont sell it or give it away because it will cause someone else problems but I think if your honest with whoever you give it to it would be just fine. I know I would be happy right now to have a dog that I had to hunt alone as long as he was a good dog otherwise because I dont really plan on having a bunch of dogs and im sure there are other pleasure hunters who are getting started and feel the same. It would be wrong to lie about it or give it to some kid who doesnt take the aggressive dog serious.

I know ill probably get some crap about the dog whisperer thing but whatever. Dont knock it till you try it I guess

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a 7 month old pup right now and was trying to fight with my buddy's male dog. My pup got tore up a good bit by his dog once and now i whip his ##*%* everytime he tries act agressive. He is fine around females, but not the best with strange male dogs. He aint been trying fight much anymore, but i think after i beat him enough, he will get the message. im not sure about the whole dog whisperer thing, but i reckon it sounds right. He will know that i am dominant and if he steps out of line, i will beat his ##*%*. i never used a e-collar, but they are good for trash breaking and things like, if u dont want to get rough with the dogs. If you got the cash, you could try one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:16 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am going to give you guys a different view on this from the other side of the spectrum...
We run a rescue for Coonhounds. We get dogs out of shelters, or come in as strays, that have temperament issues.
some dogs are fixable, some are not. Only YOU can answer that for yourself. I would not sell or trade him. If you want to work with the dog, do it yourself...or put the dog down yourself.

Our experience tells us that what happens to dogs with these issues ( all too often) is that they end up being passed along from person to person to person. Several guys try their own efforts to train the dog or break the dog, some are successful and some are not. Being passed along from person to person is not fair to the dog in my opinion.
Many times, by the time We ( rescues) end up with the dog the dog is completely ruined ( and we just end up putting the dog down anyway).

Personally...I am not sure there is time for "dog whisperer" techniques in the woods. Not saying they do not work, because they do, just not sure that they are feasible in an active hunt situation.
After having worked with Coonhounds the past 8 years...they appreciate respect and and a firm ( but fair) hand.
Personally I would not hit the dog and risk it becoming fearful...but there are alot of ways to let a dog know its behavior is not acceptable without hitting or injuring it.
Dominance is more about "attitude" and posturing than it is actual physical involvement. Watch a chihuahua work a dog 6 times its size. The chihuahua might never have physical contact with the other dog, and many times it never needs to.
Our Ranger runs this house and the other dogs like a drill sergeant...and he will TEAR UP a Raccoon, opossum, even killed a goat ( which is why he ended up in the shelter we got him from)...but he will not come within ten yards of the Chihuahua from down the street.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:26 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

im only 13 years old and have only been hunting with hounds for about a year now. i have 3 coon hounds. one 9 year old male which is a good dog. and i have a 7 month old female pup. but..... i have a 15 month old female just starting to run and tree a coon. shes fine around male dogs unless they mess with her. but i went with my buddy and he has a 4 year old female hound and when his dog came to mine mine kinda growled and snapped at his dog. and then another time i turned a cage coon loose for her and once i shot it out i let her have it then i got my 7 month old pup and let her chew on it with the 15 month old one. and she snapped at my little pup. but that might be cuz my little pup was jumpin and trying to play too. but i took the 15 month female and i put her in the box with a different female and they did just fine. sooo is it too late or do i just need to hunt her and if i catch her doing it again shock her and whip her.??????????????????????????? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Home of:

Nitech 'PR' Buck Creek Dan

GRCH 'PR' Sweet Tea Southern Suzi

RIP -- 'PR' Buck Creek Friendly 1-29-14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:04 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I have to agree with all the posts that say you can not fix the mean dog. Sure you can try the e collar and other things but more than likely you will only end up with a light broke dog. At least that is true from what i have seen. In my opinion that only gives you a few options. One is put the dog down, or find someone that only wants the dog as a backyard pet and that does not have another dog. I have tried different things but if a dog is really mean then i think that you will continue to have trouble with the dog. It will also cause a lot of you buddys to not want to hunt with you and it can ruin there dogs and your other dogs. JMO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:21 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

aggresion throughtout dogs is probly the most wide spread and most the time the hardest or impossible to break a dog of. Most coonhounds dont like being bothered around feed and some females hate a male riding her. But when it gets to point a dog will growl over a tree. Its usally time for bullet.

Beating a dog is not always the key. i have a female almost three. She decided to start treeing oppossums. Id tied her one night and beat the crap out of her with the oppossum. Less then 5mins later she had one killed on ground. Few weeks went by she still treed them was with a buddy one night and we knocked oppossum out with a stick and lite her up with a shock collor she got to pt if i picked it up she would squall and run like i was shocken her. Next nte she treed one. for past 3weeks if she trees ones i climb get it and tie her up and if she looks at it i just flick her in the nose ive treed 3 the first week and she has put one in a hole in last two. We hunt everynte.
So what my point is if a dog growls amd you just jump on him punchin a wacking him with a stick they mit not understand why your hitting them so get done on there level so your face to face if he growls he stating hes dominate and you need to state hes not.
And sometimes you just shot the dog or give him to someone if he or shes a good hound. that will hunt it alone and never mess with him as a pet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:32 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

why would a female dog not get mad at males and why would they only get mad at certain females? could it be the other dog tempting tthem or what.