CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tips on Loading!!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a six month old walker female, she will lead good and has a whole head full of sense. I can just about tell her to do anything and she will do it. But she will not load up for nothin, when i lead her the the tailgate she just kinda cowls down. I dont want to put too much pressure on her being that young, but i dont like a dog that wont load up on its on. Any Suggestions??

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

id say just keep workin with her i had a dog like that we used to have to pick him up and put him in but now he goes right in it'll take a bit but shell get in there

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:32 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Take ahold of the lead about 6 inches from where you have it attached to her collar. Start about 5 feet from the tailgate and quickly walk her towards the gate. When you get to where she should jump, pick her up with the lead and kind of "throw" her up on the tailgate. After doing this for a while, she will figure out that it's just easier for her to jump rather than have u "throw" her.

Hope this helps!

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:26 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Maybe you have a retaining wall about three or four feet tall. Use that to teach her to jump "UP" or "LOAD UP" ,whatever command you use. The same manuever she would use to jump up on the tailgate. Those tailgates look scary to young dogs since there's air space under them. Something about that is spooky for them until they get used to doing it. Maybe take a tarp and hang it over the end of the gate so it looks solid, see if she reacts different then and goes on up. At six months old just give her time to figure it out or work on it in similiar type situations. They all seem to figure it out when they are ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I got a four month old superman pup that will load by himself after a week of doing this. Just feed him in the box take him for rides by him self. I went to mcdonalds and got plain cheeseburgers and after letting run around a feild for a couple hours I told him to load up. He would just put his paws up there and expect you to do the rest. Well let him smell a burger then throw it in the back of the box. Make sure he sees you throw it in the box then get out of the way cause he's goin for it. It may take a while but they usually get the idea the box is a good thing.

Last edited by BRANDON SOSACK on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:44 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i just got a plott that would hop in with the command "load" now i have to pick her back legs up each time......not sure why really.....but its like someone else told me........if she hunts and can find u a coon its not that big of a deal to help her in the truck.....plus then u dont have to worry bout them slippin or something and gettin hurt.......but i still dont understand i have had to climb trees to get this dog down yet she cant jump up to a tailgate anymore???? o well lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:46 pm 
IP:
I can lead my 8 month old up to the tail gate and he will put his paws up on the tailgate and then from there i just throw him in. Any suggestion on how i could get him to jump?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:01 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

LynchbpSC wrote:
I can lead my 8 month old up to the tail gate and he will put his paws up on the tailgate and then from there i just throw him in. Any suggestion on how i could get him to jump?

read my post above...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:04 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I think you make a good point for thinking about what motivates a dog and using their natural interests to get them to do what you want. I find that if you have a dog that wants to please you then really your only limit on training them is your own time and imagination. And some dogs are much easier than others. LOL You can use cheap hotdogs cut into small bites. Microwave the snot out of them until they get rock hard and dry. You can keep them in a small bag in your car and have them on hand. When they are dry they will not spoil. Dogs love them and you can use them to get to a goal behavior on basic obedience then taper off as they master the result. And I am less likely to eat them than the cheeseburger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:50 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

For a Pup I always park my truck backed up to a Hill so the tailgate it is a Much lower jump for them. Maybe 1 foot or something very easy for them.

Once they learn to jump up 1 foot or 2 feet, Then They naturally start to jump up the full distance.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:39 pm 
IP:
Alright Im going to try these out.

Post subject: Tips on loading!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank all of you for takin the time to give me tips on this. This is my first time raising a pup, i have a dual grand male and i think that had spoiled me lol. I just get so used to havin him around who does everything i want him to and i sometimes forget that i am training a pup. I dont want to do anything to ruin her because like i said she has a full head of sense. Thanks

Post subject: loading
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I had the same problem until two nights ago, had to help my hound onto the tailgate, so My "friends".... started bust'in my stones, telling me I should build stairs for the dog, said I was babying it. I asked my friend to show me how to get it done and he grabbed the lead about 6 inchs above the collar started running about 6' away from the tailgate and pulled up when he reached it. the dog went up and in. now I do the same and each time I do it he loads easier and easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:39 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Just my 2cents,,I noticed my dogs getting a little spooky about loading when they couldnt grab traction on the tailgate,spookedem pretty good when they fell back out after a good try,So I got out some contact cement and glued some auto carpet to the tailgate seemed to help a bunch,also if you are hunting in day time,and summer, and the tail has been down for awhile, try putting your hand on the gate for a sec or 2 you wont like it much,, :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:08 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Try putting a snack in the box make the box feel more comfortable.Mine get vienna sausage as a reward for hunting correctly if they don't act right no reward....They surprise me regularly and get them happily.But make transporting as easy and friendly as possible.I open my kennel gate tell them load they are sitting in in the box ready to ride and same when we get home I tell'm kennel they are sitting ready for me to open the K-9 buffet.JMO

Heath Ferguson
706-568-4658
706-527-7886