CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Keeps treeing possums
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My 7 month old walker keeps treeing grinners. I normally just leash him up and tell him NO, BAD DOG! and drag him away from the tree. Should I shock him a little maybe on a low setting or would this be a bad idea.
On one side of the coin I'm glad he's trailing and treeing like he is, but on the flipside Im tired of it being possums. I know he's only 7 months old but what can I do to break him from this. Two nights in a row he's treed possums within the first couple of minutes out of the box.
Thanks,
Bojack

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:17 pm 
IP:
Possums are easy to break a dog from. If this dog has JUST started I wouldn't worry about it for awhile. If he has been started for awhile I would catch one in a cage and release it for him to trail. Do it in a large open field so that he will catch it before it can climb. As soon as he catches it and gets the fur in his mouth press AND HOLD the transmitter button on the highest setting. Do this to him a couple of times(if once doesn't do it, which it usually does), and I would bet good money your possum treeing days will be a thing of the past. Whatever you do DO NOT shock a dog this young for treeing, regardless of what it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:24 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Razordogs wrote:
Possums are easy to break a dog from.

i have allowed young dogs to tree possums when they were first learning to tree then i broke them off of possums later after they discovered coons were more fun ... breaking them from possums is easy .... good luck with your dog ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:24 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

take the dead opossom and hit your dog in the face with it a couple times and through the opossom in front of the dog and if it show excitement let em have it again and by now it shouldn't want to look at it. it kinda mean but it works that is how i brake my dogs from running trash. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I would pay to see that last trick done with a deer!!! LOL!!

Seriously< I don't have any grinners around here to worry about. An e collar does the trick on deer though. Some dogs I have to give full juice to get the point across. A friend uses a break box for this.

JMO,

Steve

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:12 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

He just has the wrong scent right now. Get some coon scent or get him on a fresh coon trail. He'll catch on eventually. Hey at least hes doing something he's only 7 months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just went thought this with my young dog. The first thing she treed was a possum. The first time I lead her off. Then worked her on a caged coon. The next thing she treed was a coon. After that any possum she treed got her a light dose of the e-collar and a scolding. I also caught a possum in a cage and walked her by it. Each time she looked at it or started to smell I lightly used the e-collar and jerked the lead. I kept walking her by the cage until she stopped paying any attention to the critter. My buddys dog treed the last possum we treed and although mine was there she was just walking around and not treeing.

I have always loved coon hunting since I was a child. My dad and I mostly hunted walkers and always did great with them. However, I dont even own a walker now. I have fell in love with blueticks. Happy Hunting Everyone!!!

Post subject: oppums
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:53 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

might be wrong here ,but i would rather my 7 month old tree one than be leaving the country with a deer,i don,t correcy my pups for treeing anything at this age

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:03 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I'd like to see Schember's method in practice breaking a dog off skunks. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:15 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Yep, a skunk would be much more fun to watch. At least from a distance up wind!

Steve

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:41 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I like blueanddemo's idea, but be careful. You dont want your dog to completely quit treing all together. Try and caged coon get her back on the scent and excited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:36 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Mrwildman wrote:
I would pay to see that last trick done with a deer!!! LOL!!

Seriously< I don't have any grinners around here to worry about. An e collar does the trick on deer though. Some dogs I have to give full juice to get the point across. A friend uses a break box for this.

JMO,

Steve

what is a break box?

PR Miller's Mountain Moonshiner (Moon)
Give It All You Got With Plotts.
John Miller

Post subject: oppusum
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

:idea: I use the little grinner in a live trap in the woods let the dog stumble on it the use the e collar .Just enough not to much .But thats me I think each dog is different. Deer same way seem in the feild drop dog out in the area and then the e collar . I think the break box is like the barrel trick ( :twisted: )

Coondog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

A brake box, Oh boy here we go!!! First let me say that this is not a method I much care for. Although I have seen it work, I jsut don't care for it. So here goes.

Firs what he does is makes a wooden box about 12-15" wide, 3ft high, around 5ft long. open on the top the long narrow way. The box will sit on ground the long narrow way. On the one skinny side you can add hinges so it opens like a door or just put the dog inside it. On the inside oppisite of the door if you do that option add anohter chuck of plywood the width of the opening about 14-18" high depennding on the average size of your dogs, about a foot back from the front. above that about 4" add 2 eyebolts with snaps. these are to double hook the dogs collar to keep from moving, the board below also helps them from moving.

Now you have a brake box built.

Insert dog. Then using sock place it over the dogs nose. Then add a few drops of deer or other animal scent to the sock. In most cases the dog will react to that as if they want to chase it. At that point is when you hit them with the cattle prod. This is repeated until the dog wants nothing to do with that scent. As a note this does not work welll with timid dogs.

Agian let me say I DO NOT LIKE THIS METHOD!!!!!! It works most of the time for him. I try first without anything, but voice correction when catching on the hot track. About 50% of the time that has worked the other 50 get the e collar. In the past used scents with moderate success. The e collar has had a 100% success rate for me. Although like any kid or husband they may need a reminder once in awhile.

Steve

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:10 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Everyone's ideas sound great. Just give one a try.