CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: chewin at the tree??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I've been perusing this forum for awhile now and I've seen a few mentions in various posts to dogs "chewing" at the tree. I'm guessing this means chewing a branch, the bark of the tree, or maybe even the lead when its on? This is my guess since my dog does the same thing. I have a 2 y/o B&T male that does this on occasion. In prior posts that I have read I have gathered that this "chewing" is a bad thing. Why is it? My dog has never missed a track or tree, never torn up a coon after its been shot out, never anything like that. My question is what are guys referring to when they say "chewing at the tree" and why is this bad?

My second question involves treeing also. My dog is known to slick tree on occasion. I notice a difference in his chop when he is slick treed as opposed to when he knows he has the coon....its an entirely different bark. I know, and I know HE knows, just by his bark whether he has the coon or not. The problem is this. When he's slick treed, I'll go to put his lead on to lead him from the tree and he nips at me. He's never done anything serious. He did get my forearm in his jaws once but didn't do any damage at all. I called his previous owner and he told me that when the dog would slick tree he would cut a stout switch and cut into the dog with it. My dilemna is this. I dont want to cut into my dog with a switch, lead, my hand, etc when he's treein for me just because he nips at me on occasion. By the same token I dont want to allow this nipping to continue. How do I correct this nipping behavior without discouraging him from treeing? He never nips at me, or even shows any signs of wanting to, at any other time other then when he's slick treed. Even when he's treed with a coon he never shows any signs of this. I know his behavior is due to the fact that his previous owner certainly didn't "spare the rod," and while I dont entirely agree or disagree with what he did, I know I dont want to continue down this road of wonderin whether or not this will be the night/tree when he decides to tear into my arm and not let go.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:18 am 
IP:
My dog sometimes chews the tree and will even try to climb it. Climbing I punish immedietly because it's dangerous. Chewing I've never cared about.
As far as nipping you at the tree, though you've said you don't want to switch your dog, I would. I have zero tolerance for aggression, even if it is aggression that doesn't cause me physical harm. Sometimes the aggression wears itself out, sometimes it never gets worse, but sometimes it does get worse. If you switch your dog the instant he nips at you, he'll understand that it's the nip and not the tree that is bringing down punishment. In the instance of aggression I personally use my hands, because I want the dog to know it's me who is angry. Some people use shock collars or switches for aggression, and they work, this is just what I do with my own dogs. For dogs with a history of being beaten then using your hands may bring out more aggression, in which case I'd use a shocker. Gotta play it by ear for each individual dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:26 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Guys who say chewing is a bad thing are referring to a dog that chews soooo much that he doesn't actually tree bark... because his mouth is on the tree. Many chewers will bark for a while, stop and chew, and then bark again. IMO I feel that this is ok and honestly almost impossible to stop.

As for the slick treeing and the minor aggression, I would consider whipping him with the "rod" and even more so if he is nipping you. Whichever way you decide to handle this, one thing is that you MUST let him know that you are not AT ALL happy with his slicking and/or nipping. That is your call as a trainer. Good luck and happy hunting!

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:41 am 
IP:
I think it all just boils down to what your willing to put up with. I wonder if you suprized the dog when he nipped at you? Try letting the dog know your there before you reach in to grab him up. I think an e-collar would go a long ways towards working on this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

guys that complain and try to correct the chewing issue are most likely the dogs that chew more than they bark like Walkers said....your dog has to bark every....2? minutes on the same tree at a UKC nite hunt...if your dog is chewing for 5 minutes and you cannot hear him and prove to the judge and/or cast that he is there and just chewing, the dog can be minused...even though the dog is there and just chewing. my buddies hound i hunt with and run myself is a chewer. the 2 minutes hasnt gotten him thus far...verrrrry rarely does he go 2 minutes without tree barking even when pleasure hunting...i havent seen him chew with other dogs on the tree either...just when he trees alone as far as i know. i had him chewing at a nite hunt a couple weeks ago...only dog treeing and i declared him treed i knew he sounded serious and shouldnt leave and should have the coon...judge instantly says "whats that dog doing!?! he quit barking! hes moving!?!" i explained to him that hes chewing and if he quiets down, you can hear him whining and ripping stuff apart and that he should bark again...either way they couldnt minus him because he could clearly be heard(atleast i dont think so...) he barked more anyways..they just gave me a hard time trying to minus him for moving. seems that he only does that when he KNOWS the coon is up that tree...and has a much more serious sounding tree bark when he knows its up there...he dont show us many slicks at all...but when he does, or when he picks a den tree with a little scent on it, you can tell the difference in his barks. often times hes old and smart enough to know to leave...if i hear him treeing week i wont tree him at a hunt till right before the stationary rule is up...ive seen him leave enough times on slicks or dens that arent hot...also, at that nite hunt i TOLD the judge and cast that he often chewed before the hunt started.

about the agression....i dont know how to fix that...but it needs adressed. exspecially if it gets worse. you need to discipline him and let him know slick trees are bad...my buddys dog understands NO! BAD! and a light 1 finger tap on the nose and being led off the tree...thats the advantage of having a older dog with some brains..and i think it helps that he lives in the house and undertstands english better than most kids do lol...

but if it got serious i could tell you that dog would be gone..and he wouldnt be sold or given to anyone else. its not uncommon for some dogs to just "snap" and get mean as they mature...ive heard of it happening a couple times with different dogs...all treated well..just snapped.

im not into beating and being rough with a dog either...a tap on the nose or a little snap of the lead on his back and verbally telling it NO! and BAD! is all it should take...beating a dog badly or shocking the heck out of it almost always results in a ruined dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:33 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Well that makes sense. I never noticed any problem with him chewin cuz it seems there hasn't been a problem. When he's treed he never chews for more then 5...maybe 10 seconds at a time. I noticed he would quit choppin for about that long and figured out that that is when he's chewing....but again, never for more then about 10 seconds. Thanks for the input.

As far as the nipping goes, I think I'll just try the verbal reprimand as well as smacking with my hand. If that doesn't work I'll try the e-collar. I can absolutely see how I could train that out of him with an e-collar while not discouraging him from treeing....so I'll try this approach.

On a side note, do any or all of you switch your dog when he slick trees? Or do you just absolutely pay no attention to him when you're pulling him off that tree and then go on? Or maybe you deal with slick treeing another way entirely? I dont think my dog has gotten in the habit yet of slick treeing but I sure dont want to allow him to GET in the habit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i cant remember what dad did, if anything, if our Walkers slick treed. i remember hunting all the time...but cant remember what happened if they slicked.

now that im hunting with my buddy and his walker, he verbally tells the dog NO! and BAD! and lets him know he isnt happy at all and will usually tap him on the nose. its a 1 finger tap while hes saying NO! and BAD!

honestly, that dog is really pretty accurate. we were just talking about how we cant remember a slick tree since atleast sept or earlier...then i took him to a hunt..he hunted great...then my buddy hunted him all week while i was at school and he slick treed like he was never hunted before! finally showed a den and 2 coons later in the week...friday and saturday he ran like a champ...7 trees, 10 coons and a den tree...he ran like a true champ for us both nights. hopefully he runs good all week and runs great for me saturday..pretty sure im taking him to another nite hunt.

like i said before, im not all about beating dogs badly and all that...theres other ways to get your dog to know hes doing bad if he has some brains...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:52 pm 
IP:
The couple times I've known my dog has slick treed I've just scolded him lightly and pulled him off the tree and ignored him for a couple minutes. My usual stance has been do nothing though, just because I am not 100% certain there's no coon in the tree.
'Course, my dog has a hard time finishing the track (or staying at the tree long enough for me to get there) so we aren't talking about all that many trees I've had to check...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:10 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have the same problem as alot of you guys. My dog will chew to the point where he is not barking...AT ALL. But he only does this by himself. when he's hunted with other dogs. He trees like a champ and his mouth doesnt even touch the tree.

And also my dog will nip at me when hes treed by himself. Hell grab my hand or arm, but he wont bite at all. Ive been correcting this, by just firmly and loudly saying NO and smaking him in the head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:37 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

the chewing on the tree is a bad habit but like they said as long as the dog still trees enough that u can get to him i wouldnt worry bout it at all

now the snapping at u is the ig problem i would not stand for that at all but like someone said earlier on the post it all depends on what u will put up with ur self

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

if u can tell a difference in the bark of ur dog when its tree'd and know if its slick treed or not, then if u can tell that ur dog is slick tree'd...DO NOT GO TO THE TREE...wait, the dog will leave the tree and usually find where the coon tricked him...

i have a dog the same way...every now and then he'll tree and i know he dont have a coon, so i'll just wait, and within a couple minutes, he'll leave the tree and pickup where the coon tricked him and usually tree solid next time and have a coon.

Kevin Allen

'PR' Allen's Shaker Creek Luke

'PR' Allen's Ragin' Roxie

'PR' Allen's Always Curious Clover

Profile  WWW