CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Silent Treeing
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I can't find the answers to this so I figured I'd ask and get links or comments.

I have been putting out sunflower seeds to get the squirrels in my yard on the ground. I can see the squirrels when I come home from work and I will get the dog out of the kennel on a leash. I will sneak him to the corner of the house and let him look at the squirrels eating on the ground then take him off the leash. He will run the squirrel up the tree, jump on the tree, smell the ground, jump on the tree some more but never bark at the squirrel.

What am I doing wrong or will he just eventually start to bark?
Thanks for any suggestions. Craig

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:14 pm 
IP:
How old is the dog?

Post subject: dog
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Sorry, the dog is a blackmouth cur and is 13 months old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:41 pm 
IP:
See if you can get one in a cage and really encourage the dog to bark at it. Love it up good every time he barks. Have you shot any out to the dog? If he don't bark, I wouldn't give him any.

Post subject: ..
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I thought about getting one in a cage but have read alot about how a cage will ruin a dog. I havent shot one out to him yet but might try that soon. Your saying dont shoot unless he barks? Or should I shoot one out to him this afternoon??

I have another question. I have a lab that the bmc loves, he will follow him anywhere, only problem is when my lab gets in the bayou, the bmc will not get in past his ankles. I was thinking about throwing him in just so he knows he can swim. Any thoughts on this????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:04 pm 
IP:
The over use of a caged critter will cause trouble. The proper and limited use of a cage can do wonders for training. Using a cage just to see what the dog will do or for entertainement or too judge a dogs ability is not good. Curs are double smart dogs generally and learn the easiest way possible to get what they want. If you start shooting critters out to them without earning them, ie: barking, then they won't figure it is needed.

DO NOT throw your dog into the water. Just keep him around it. Let him gain confidence.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I appreciate the help. I'm a beginer in coon and squirrel dogs so I have a few questions.

So lets say I catch a squirrel in a cage today and show it to the dog tomorrow. He gets all fired up and I pet him up real good while he's barking. Should I leash up the dog and let the squirrel go in front of him waiting a few seconds then let the dog go?

Or should I shoot a squirrel today and drag it around the yard to let him find it in the tree? Should I have it tied in the tree and shake it when the dog see's it?

I've read about people tying dogs to a tree. What does this do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:10 pm 
IP:
Tying a dog who is treeing at the tree can help them learn to stay at the tree. It is a good practice.

If the dog gets all fired up and goes to barking good, turn it loose where the dog can see it run and let him chase it. If it makes it to a tree, and the dog tree's really encourage him to bark. If he barks good knock it out to him. Have you shot around the dog yet?

If the dog is already chasing them to the tree and staying at the tree, laying a drag isn't gonna help all that much. I think a few good hot caged critter races with lots of encouragement to bark ending at the tree will help more.

Post subject: shooting
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah, i've shot around him a good bit. he's not the least bit gunshy. I guess the next thing for me to do is get a cage and catch a squirrel.

After I think he's good on the squirrel, should I do the same on coons? I have a 5 gallon bucket on the back of my property that the coons tear up. Or should I just set him sniff around the feeder and take it from there?

Again, thanks for all the help. I'm sure you get tired of repeating yourself on the basic fundamentals of coon and squirrel hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:22 pm 
IP:
Might be easier to get the dog barking at a caged coon. They have a lot more scent and tend to really get a dog fired up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:29 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

LCK wrote:
Might be easier to get the dog barking at a caged coon. They have a lot more scent and tend to really get a dog fired up.

But if that coon has been in that cage a little while its a good idea to wet that coon a little...it helps lay a better scent trail IMO

Post subject: LCK
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:16 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Would you recommend that I start him on Coon or squirrel? Thanks Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:45 am 
IP:
At 13 months I would start with coon, but that really depends on what your going to hunt the most, and what you prefer. I am willing to bet you will get more progress with coon.