CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: breakin tree aggestion
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:15 pm 
IP:
dose any one know if you can break a dog from bein tree aggesive

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:16 pm 
IP:
o and how would go about doin that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:38 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

read the posts on face barkin, ....................TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:36 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

is it a male? you could try getting him nueterd and some descipline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:58 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

if it is a young dog maybe. but i have never had any luck stopping a tree fighter once it starts. could be bred into it, some times a ressesive gene pops up in a litter , breeding faults can't be stopped and man made faults can sometimes be corrected. i've had them neutered and seen thier teeth pulled and it never stopped a tree fighter.the dog lives a horrible life being traded around and sold to this guy and that guy and everyone tries to break it. or you can only hunt it by itself and by your self usually. i've even seen them try to hunt them with a muzzle on em. i've had 2 dogs casterated or neutered and it did'nt slow them down a bit.its not usually a testosterone issue , it seems to be more of a mental problem with the dogs brain functions... i finally gave one away as a pet and he lived a long life with a family that loved him to death. the other came to the death part alot sooner.............TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:06 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Speaking in general terms,does this problem occur more in the males?? The reason I ask is that I have a little female walker that Im beginning to worry about..She is fine with my other 2 females,but around strange dogs she seems to single one out that she doesnt get along with,,She doesnt fight to kill,just nips and is a general pain in the butt..She seems to be trying to climb the pecking order of the pack..All I can figure is that my other 2 females already kicked her rear and she wants up the ladder a bit..any opinions?? she is a year old ,,,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:00 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

yes 1st hound , it is seen more in the males but i've seen some females the would fight a dog off the tree just as fast as any male. some females have the need to be the matriarch bitch just like some males have to be the alfa male.dogs are pack animals and the pecking order you described comes into play when you hunt them in a pack.i had males that would only try and boss their kennel mates around in the woods and around the tree and not strange dogs.your female may just need some socializing w/more strange dogs .at one yr she is still a puppy with a puppy mental capacity.if its there she will show it sooner or later.i would not start to worry just yet though ,she has alot of maturing to do .i have noticed over the years that the rough dogs seem to be more lovable and crave the handlers attention more. i don't know , it could be them being jealous of the other dogs getting attention. i still believe it is a malfunction in their mental functions.look for it in the blood line-parents-grandparents..............TC

Last edited by toe cutter on Fri May 23, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:39 am 
IP:
I love your signature toe cutter :D

I can't imagine hunting a hound with a muzzle on, he'd have no ability to defend himself against other dogs, coyotes, or even coon.

Easy for me to say though, since my dog and I hunt alone 99% of the time. If I were to not control my dog around town he'll take a chomp at any dog that crosses his path (heck, he'll make sure to cross THEIR path), yet the two times he's hunted with other dogs there's been zero aggression. I like to pretend he knows the difference between coonhounds and those "others."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:15 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i've seen that alot,mtcoonhunter, at the trade days at kenton ohio i've seen people leading their yard dogs and the hounds go crazy trying to get after them, but the people walking the hounds past .the hounds don't bother them at all........................TC

Last edited by toe cutter on Tue May 27, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:53 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

bluemann, i've seen kennel mates do that before and would not bother other dogs at all, i think it is kennel pecking order being carried into the woods,a friend had two littermate brothers that would try and kill each other on a tree but you could hunt either one with out the other with other dogs with no problems at all...............TC