All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: INTESTINAL WORMS?
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:07 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS HAD ANY PUPPIES THAT
WERE GETTING POOR EVEN AFTER GOOD WORMINGS AND
GOOD FOOD AND STILL NURSING SOME ON MOM GET REAL POOR LOOKING WITH LOOSE STOOL?

HAD A LITTER A COUPLE MONTHS AGO AND THE VET SAID IT WAS
INTESTINAL WORMS AND GAVE THE LAST LIVING PUP A SHOT
AND SAID IT SHOULD BE FINE AND WE LOST IT.

JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA HOW TO PREVENT THIS
IN THE FUTURE?

Puppies & Started dogs available
most of the time.

GRNITECH BIG TIME "JOE"

GRNITECH PKC GOLDCH LUMBERJACK

2008 SUPERSTAKE/PERFORMANCE SIRES
AKC REGISTERED

We support the following:

United English Breeders & Fanciers
Kentucky Houndsmen Association
Hoosier Tree Dog Alliance
Georgia Federation Of Coonhunters

Check us out on the UKC
Breeders List

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:33 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

What kind of worms did the vet say they had and what kind of shot was given? Even "good wormings" don't necessarily kill all kinds of worms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:52 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Did your vet check them for coccidiosis?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:25 am 
IP:
I don't have experience with breeding, but I had a couple thoughts (that may or may not be valid). Was it the bitch's first litter? I've seen a few first litters not do well simply due to the mother's inexperience. Does the mother get fed a real solid high quality diet? I would think if she wasn't eating a high quality diet maybe she was lacking in some nutrients (or had too little) to pass on to the pups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

take a stool sample into the vet and have him check it for worms. That way you get the right wormer for the type of worms they have.

Daylene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:35 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Mike Donaldson wrote:
Did your vet check them for coccidiosis?

Yes Mike that's what he called it. I got shook up because someone said it would linger if I didn't clean up her area real good so, i bleached everything and told a guy what the vet said and told him i was getting rid of the female because the vet said she would pass it on to her pups forever and the guy bought her/

The mother ate Purina Pro-Plan and was given the Dog Bloom for females
due to have puppies prior to getting heavy and I don;t believe she could have been fed any better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:01 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

If it was coccidiosis then the best of feed and wormers would have made no difference. It is a microscopic parasite in the dog's intestines that sheds cysts in the dog's poop to reproduce. Another animal exposed to the poop can pick up those cysts-even flies, mice, and other critters can be carriers and contaminate the dog's food, water, etc. If your female even ate a mouse with coccidia she would have gotten it. A dog whose immune system is not strong, like a very young pup, a dog under stress or a sick older dog cannot fight back and the parasites can kill them. An older, healthy dog is better able to resist the effects of the parasites and it is possible to get rid of them with medication that stops them from reproducing. It takes some time but eventually the dog will be free of them as its immune system gets stronger. To help protect the pups and other dogs you have to be very careful to pick up all poop right away and keep the entire area very clean as well as medicating the dam if she has coccidiosis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:54 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Thanks for the information. As a rule my dogs are kenneled up off the ground in pens by themselves so, they usually are not exposed to other dog's droppings but, I have a place I dump all stool and it is possible for a pup running loose to get into, and my kennels are cleaned 2-3 times per day and bleached once a month. I will locate a different area to dispose of all droppings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:56 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

If I'm not mistaken, most grown dogs have cocci and it is passed on through feces as stated above. It tends to attack puppies due to the weak immune systems and the stress that they go through. I would not get rid of a nice female simply because her pups got cocci form her. The best thing to do is give treat all pups for cocci as a means of prevention. Albon is often used for this. Also sanitation plays a big role in the avoidance of coccidiosis in pups. In goats we tend to treat the drinking water with Corid or Sulmet, you may want to ask you vet about this and it may solve the problem with the dam over time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:00 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Is Albon available over the counter anywhere that you know of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:44 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

*Super Pups* wrote:
Is Albon available over the counter anywhere that you know of?

NO,you must get it from a Vet.I well say this its a very good wide range antibiotic. I can get it from my vet but it aint cheap.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:01 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

He is right,Albon can only be given by your veterinarian.But ya also have to sanatize the area as well.For example ya cant put a flea collar on your dog,and not treat the house,or the yard for fleas and think the collar will work.Also as much as I hate to say it,ya cant cut too many corners tryin to stay away from the veterinarian.I wouldnt try using store bought wormers,especially Hartz,or Sargents,etc.!!
There are many varieties of intestinal parasites such as,.. roundworms,hookworms,tapeworms,giardia,coccidia,whipworms,which are the more common type,but there are several other types of intestinal parasites.
Panacur,Drontal plus,Droncit,should cover more bases of worms,but they can be costly,but well worth it.The type of worms your dog may have will decide the treatment,not all wormers treat all worms.

Saint and Ticket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:41 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

My older hounds seem to stay in great shape and I rotate wormers so that I don't always use the same thing. Ivormec is the one I use mostly but I have used a variety of others. As far as the puppies go, I usually use RFD, Happy Jack and other brands but have never had the problem I had with that one litter. You cannot keep a kennel any cleaner than the way we keep ours!