CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: wormers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:53 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

what all worms will ivermectin actually treat and what type of dosage is required for these treatments

Runnin' them hounds til' the sun comes up

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:59 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

pbfloyd wrote:
what all worms will ivermectin actually treat and what type of dosage is required for these treatments

I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO KNOW THE SAME THING AND GLAD YOU ASKED IT. MAYBE SOMEONE WILL KNOW.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:07 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Heartguard plus contains Ivermectin and Pyrantel Pamoate.

The Ivermectin is for heartworms.

The Pyrantel Pamoate is for roundworms and hookworms.

Since when you use Ivomec for heartworms, it does not contain Pyrantel Pamoate............thus the reason you also need to use a wormer in conjunction with Ivomec.

I use the 1% Ivermectin injectable Ivomec.

http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/274-Ivomec-1-.aspx

I give it orally at 1/10th cc per 10lbs -- 50lb dog would get .50cc. So a 60lb dog would get .60cc.

CC and ML are the same as some syringes have the markings of ML instead of CC.

After I draw the dosage, I fill up the rest of syringe with non-sugar fruit drink or a flat coke zero and squirt into mouth once a month.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:15 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

ok thanks.. my next quest is about safe guard. thelittleblackbook says that a 50 pound dog would require 69cc of safeguard with proper dosage. and a 65 poun dog would require an 89cc dosage.. thats more than double what my vet says at 2cc per 10 ounds once daily for 3 days.. i buy my own sae guard now lik you buckshot and mix it myself but still use my vets dosage.. so whats the proper dosage?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:25 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

pbfloyd, I use the dosage I posted back on 1st page of this thread with success with my dogs.........treatment is open to debate. From worming to shots, vet to vet, dog owner to dog owner, and etc....

Some vets recommend 3 year rabies shots and some states are even recognizing the 3 year rabies shot............my vet is still advocating the 1 year rabies shot.

Devils advocate here --- Your vet is a doc you pay for his/her services and his/her advise/opinion, TheLittleBlackBook is selling a book and DVDs -- both are tied to making money from their opinions.

You know your dogs, you know what works. Treat with what you know works.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:42 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

pbfloyd wrote:

Ivermectin will treat most rounds and whips, as well as heartworm, but will not get either hooks or tapes.

The dosage depends on the % of ivermectin per ml as well as what you're trying to kill.

At 1%, the usual dosage is ~ 0.1 ml per 10 lb, monthly, so a 60 lb dog would get 0.6 ml per month. At this same dosage, 1% ivermectin also treats sarcoptic mange.

At 3x the above dosage, given daily for a month, ivermectin will also kill demodectic mange. This could kill some breeds (e.g., collies), who for whatever reason can't take ivermectin (even at the regular dose).

The dosage for heartworm is much less than for regular worms, and this minimal dosage is what's in Heartgard.

I personally give twice the standard dose for my dogs.

Jack

Jack

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:57 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

pbfloyd wrote:
ok thanks.. my next quest is about safe guard. thelittleblackbook says that a 50 pound dog would require 69cc of safeguard with proper dosage. and a 65 poun dog would require an 89cc dosage.. thats more than double what my vet says at 2cc per 10 ounds once daily for 3 days.. i buy my own sae guard now lik you buckshot and mix it myself but still use my vets dosage.. so whats the proper dosage?

Well, I had previously posted a link to what the current Merck Veterinary Manual cites as the correct dosage for fenbendazole (Safe Guard). You can read it for yourself what the dosage is.

It's not a matter of "knowing your dogs," it's a matter of staying current on the dosages for the various medications. You can "know your dog" all you want, but that doesn't mean you will understand the correct dosages of the various drugs to give them. You have to read-up on these drugs to gain that knowledge. More than that, you have to stay current and realize that dosages change over the years.

Speaking of books, since I published my first book 15 years ago, more than 11 drugs have changed their dosages. Cephalexen, for example, used to be given 2-3x per day ... now it is given 3-4x per day. (Double-dosed.)
Pyrantel pamoate (at 50mg/ml) used to be dosed at 1 ml per 20 lb ... now it is dosed at 1 ml per 10 lb. (Double-dosed.)
And, as I relayed on the previous page, Safe Guard (10% fenbendazole) used to be given once daily, now it is given twice daily, at 1 ml per 4.4 lb, 3 days in a row. (Again, double-dosed.)

Your vet probably got his degree many years ago. His books of reference (and thus his beliefs) were probably created many years ago also. Back then, his dosage was probably correct. But now, it is no longer considered correct. Your vet has to stay current on medications also. If he has outdated reference material, his prescription amounts will be likewise outdated.

In fact, the previous versions of Merck Veterinary Manual likewise contain now-outdated information. That is why the company updates its own book every 4 years, to stay current! What was true and accepted back then for many drugs very often changes, even doubles. Again, this is why it is important to stay current. BACTERIA AND PARASITES CONTINUALLY BUILD RESISTANCE TO THE DRUGS WE MAKE FOR THEM. What worked last year won't necessarily work this year. Heck, penicillin (what used to be a miracle cure back in the day) is now ineffective for over 75% of the bacteria out there. The bacteria have built resistance to it, which is why scientists are forever looking for new and better ways. Penicillin is now all but useless, except to a few still-sensitive pathogens.

Just because a person has memorized a dosage he read a few years ago doesn't mean that dosage is still correct today. A person has to keep reading the latest info in order to stay properly-informed. That was the point of my original post.

Hope this clarifies,

Jack

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

at the feed mill around my house they sell valbazen 500ml bottle for 38.95 an u can give it to pups an grown dogs i use it on both. it kill every thing but heart worms. use 1ml per 10pounds . if dog is infested give it to them 3 days in a row then once a month as regular wormin its cost affective an works. and u can verfy with a vet bout heart worms this will save u time an money for heartworms give them an benedryol allergy pill wait a lil bit to start workin an then 1ml of ivemctin an put them in a crate for 24 hr the least movein around the better then the next day let them out for a lil bit then then repeat an they will be heart worm free that is all most vets do

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:07 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Buckshot wrote:
I buy a regular size tube of SafeGuard and put it into a puppy feeding bottle and fill up with water to 100ML.

I shake it up real well and treat 1cc per 10lbs body weight for 3 days in a row.

Been doing this for a couple years with no worm problems.

If you were to treat three 60lb dogs 3 days in a row would be:

Day 1
6cc + 6cc + 6cc = 18cc

Day 2
6cc + 6cc + 6cc = 18cc

Day 3
6cc + 6cc + 6cc = 18cc

= Using 54cc leaving 46cc in bottle.

Tube of SafeGuard for around $7.00 - $8.00 so spending $13.00 is pretty cheap too.

My question is how long will that extra 46cc or what ever you have left last mixed with water, 3 months, 6 months, etc.. & and how do YOU store it in the fridge or on shelf (does it even matter)Because when you buy as a paste it's just sitting on the shelf.
I'm guessing it'll last to the date of expiration as normal, but just wondering how you do it.

Cool Hand Luke