CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: wormers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:04 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

ok so i have read on here the differnet types of wormer everbody uses including panacur/safeguard, valbazen, and strongid. my vet charges 12cents per cc of panacur. so for three 60 pound dogs at 2cc per 10 pounds would be 12x3x3=108cc. each time i worm it costs me $13. so what im getting at is this seems kinda expensive and was wondering if there is a cheaper method i can be using without losing quality? i use ivermectin for heartworms so thats taken care of. thanks

Runnin' them hounds til' the sun comes up

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: wormers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:32 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

I buy a regular size tube of SafeGuard and put it into a puppy feeding bottle and fill up with water to 100ML.

I shake it up real well and treat 1cc per 10lbs body weight for 3 days in a row.

Been doing this for a couple years with no worm problems.

If you were to treat three 60lb dogs 3 days in a row would be:

Day 1
6cc + 6cc + 6cc = 18cc

Day 2
6cc + 6cc + 6cc = 18cc

Day 3
6cc + 6cc + 6cc = 18cc

= Using 54cc leaving 46cc in bottle.

Tube of SafeGuard for around $7.00 - $8.00 so spending $13.00 is pretty cheap too.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:02 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

buckshot i recently bought a 290g tube of the safeguard paste and figured that that would give me 1160cc of wormer. the tube cost $40.25 and is alot cheaper than to buy 25g tubes every time.. just a thought. just trying to see how everyone else does it to save money. thanks buckshot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:29 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have bought the bigger tubes in the past. I just buy the smaller tube nowadays.....just preference. Don't have to adjust notch and correct dosage to fill bottle. Load and go.

Are you treating monthly?

I treat every 3 months.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:00 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

well i was but i decided that was overkill.. i now treat every other month, but have been thinking of going every three months too.. you dont have any worm problems?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:50 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Only worm issues I get is the occasional tapes from dogs eating animals....which the regular SafeGuard worming schedule won't get so I have tape wormer on hand to treat for Taenia Pisiformis tapes.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:58 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

ok well i may just start worming every three months

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

the only time i ever worry about wormer is when ther pups. is it really necessary to worm even every three mos??? got some old dogs never had a problem.only when they were puppys. just my opinion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:50 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

thats how some people do it but i feel if better safe to worm and prevent it then have to treat a severe case of worms or heartworms

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i am a vet tech and our doctor recommended that i tell our club members to deworm every 3 months. parasites can rob the nutrition from your dog, cause intestinal bleeding problems, cause diarrhea, and sometimes they can travel to the lungs. all dogs at any age are at risk for parasites (especially pups and old dogs). some parasites that dogs get can be transfered to people and being that we are hunting and handling dogs more than usual people, not mention showing or competing with other dogs and people, we should deworm on a regular basis. fenbendazole (panacur) is a good dewormer that deworms for 4 types of parasites and should be given 3 days in a row. pyrantel deworms for 2 types of parasites and needs to be given in 1 dose. praziquental deworms for tapeworms and needs given in 1 dose. the dewormers that i just mentioned do not need to be purchased through a veterinarian and you should be able to get them through an online pharmacy or a local farm store.

good luck!~

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:15 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have heard of people using Safegaurd for goats on the dogs. Has anyone doing this and does it work good? How do you use it too? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:42 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Buckshot wrote:
If you use the search feature and search just this section, you'd find those threads that list the brand, dosage, and how it is used:

Panacur and Dosage
viewtopic.php?t=37258

Liquid Goat Womer/Safeguard and Dosage
viewtopic.php?t=37258

Safeguard and Dosage
viewtopic.php?t=29312

Ivomec and Dosage
viewtopic.php?t=33233

Zemectrin Gold and Dosage
viewtopic.php?t=54654

These are just a few on the subject........All I did was use the search feature and searched only this section with keyword "wormer".

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:45 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

People forget to factor-in worm resistance to the equation.

Safe Guard is a very broad spectrum wormer ... but it is also very expensive ... very weak (this is why you have to give so much, for so long, is because of how weak is).

In fact, Safe Guard (fenbendazole) is so weak the dosage has changed: it is now dosed at 1ml per 4.4 lb, twice daily, for 3 days in a row. The old dosage for once daily is no longer valid, and in some areas the worms have built such a tolerance to Safe Guard that the drug no longer works at all. Therefore, most experts recommend NOT to use Safe Guard routinely ... but only for a confirmed case of whipworm.

Probably the most economical wormer is either pyrantel pamoate, or ivermectin, but a person needs to know what worms he's dealing with in order to dose them correctly. The dosage for hooks is different (and more) than the dosage for rounds.

And there is no need to worm for tapes unless you have a confirmed case (which, if you're up on your flea control you won't have).

Jack

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:51 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

TheLittleBlackBook wrote:
And there is no need to worm for tapes unless you have a confirmed case (which, if you're up on your flea control you won't have).

Fleas are not the only way a dog can acquire tapes.

The two common tapes most deal with are the Dipylidium caninum (usually what a dog has/ caused by fleas) and the Taenia species.

Taenia Pisiformis tapes are not caused by fleas.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:36 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Buckshot wrote:
Fleas are not the only way a dog can acquire tapes.
The two common tapes most deal with are the Dipylidium caninum (usually what a dog has/ caused by fleas) and the Taenia species.
Taenia Pisiformis tapes are not caused by fleas.

Good point, and this is true if the dog is actually eating raw kills.

Regarding what I said about Safe Guard (fenbendazole), here is a link to support what I said:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 191507.htm

Here are two selected quotes:

"However, with the widespread development of resistance and the availability of more efficient and easier to administer compounds, their use is rapidly decreasing."

"In dogs and cats, mebendazole, fenbendazole (Safe Guard), febantel, and flubendazole are used for treatment of roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworms. However, treatment must be given BID (twice daily) for 3 days. Fenbendazole has been used in a divided dose regimen in bitches against tissue-dwelling larvae of Toxocara canis and Ancylostoma caninum ; daily administration of 50 mg/kg to bitches from day 40 of pregnancy through day 14 after parturition resulted in pups free of both parasites, although this has limited application in practice."

Since the dosage for Safe Guard is 1ml per 4.4 lb, and since you have to give 6 doses to use the drug properly, and since the drug is so expensive, you really have to pour a lot of money down the drain (and hassle with administration 6x per dog to boot) to treat a yard of dogs.

Considering a 50 lb dog would require ~11.5 ml of Safe Guard to worm it properly (1 ml per 4.4 lb, given twice daily, for 3 days in a row) ... this means ultimately you must give a total of 69 ml of Panacur for each dog ... and since Safe Guard is so expensive (~ $100.00 per 1000 ml bottle) ... this means you're spening ~ $7 per dog. If you have a yard of 10 dogs, you'll ultimately be using 690ml to treat the lot of them (more than half a 1000ml bottl) ... and spending about $70 ... just to worm ten dogs.

Compare that to spending only $0.21 (twenty-one cents!) per dog using either pyrantel pamoate or ivermection, and you quickly begin to realize you're only spending $2.10 to treat a yard of ten 50-lb dogs by comparison. (Not to mention you don't have to hassle with the Safe Guard for 6x in a row either.) That is roughly a $67 difference in price to worm your dogs, not to mention literally 5x less hassle.

Safe Guard really should only be used for whipworm. So if you got a confirmed case of whips, sure, go ahead and use the Safe Guard. But it really is a waste of time, hassle, and money to use Safe Guard regularly for roundworm and hookworm, as there are better (and cheaper) ways to do this. And even for tapeworm, the preferred method to handle these is Droncit (praziquantel), which also is cheaper, more effective, and less hassle to give for tapes than Safe Guard ... especially if you know where to buy the generic, off-label equivalents 8)

Hope this helps you and others save some time and money ...

Take care,

Jack

Profile  WWW