CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:23 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

I posted this story today on another forum where I was trying to find the orginal story but could only find this one that mentions the shelter that this happened to. This story explains how dog feed can be hazardous if not stored safely.

Quote:
Many of us are pet owners, and that means bags of dog food or cat food piled somewhere in our home. It seems harmless, but it could be an accident waiting to happen.

Happy Hills Animal Shelter in Liberty, N. Carolina recently burned completely to the ground. What sparked the fire should serve as a warning. Investigators say exploding dog food was the cause. And local officials say it could happen to any pet owner.

"Wwhen these substances break down they put out heat that can actually ignite the very substance it is breaking down," said Oklahoma City fire spokesman Brian Stanaland.

And when the heat can't escape it causes the bags to spontaneously combust. Local animal shelters are aware of the problem.

"I've heard of it," said Lynn Smithson. "If it gets wet and hot that's a bad mixture and it can explode."

Fire officials say anyone who stores any dog food needs to be aware of the danger and take precautions.

"Make sure you keep your dog or cat food dry," Stanaland said. "Make sure it's stored in a well ventilated place. You don't want this stuff to get really compacted and tight."

And if you buy it in bulk take extra precautions.

"When you buy new dog food make sure you put it on the bottom and the older dog food you can put on top," Stanaland said.

Officials say the safest thing you can do is not buy pet food in bulk, because then you'll use it before it's a problem.

If you do stockpile pet food, experts say you need to check it from time to time to make sure it isn't wet or rotting.

http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=1822175

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:58 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

This is very interesting, Buckshot, thanks much for posting. I'd never heard of it before, but it is chemically quite possible. For you farmers and gardeners out there, you are, in effect, composting the dogfood. the microbes that get into the damp/wet dogfood break it down and in turn, release a large amount of heat and waste byproducts (the "compost" part of composting), enough heat, in fact, that the pile of composting material can begin to smoke. (ever see a large pile of mulch smoking away??) When that heat hits the very dry food, it could ignite it. Even if doesn't, these microbes release toxins as they break down the dog food, so even if the material doesn't ignite, it will be hazardous to you and your dogs. Keep your feed cool and dry and if it gets wet, ditch it. It really isn't any good anymore.

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:06 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Who would ever think that?? I usually buy about 4-5 bags at a time and dump them into a large plastic garbage can to keep. Whatever excess is left gets used up first and when I get to the bottom I pour whats left into a bucket and put that on top of the new.
but just to be on the safe side
I'll have my wife feed my dogs from know on !!
Thanks for the info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:47 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Sounds just like spontaneous combustion that happens when you put moist hay in the barn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:21 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

good thinking conway, good thinking