CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:32 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

A book written by an OLD COUNTRY VET, Dr. James L Busby DVM.

You might be interested in my new pet care book How to Afford Veterinary Care without Mortgaging the Kids. I'm 68 and am still in very active practice, but am disgruntled over the way my profession is pricing routine (and often unjustified) procedures beyond the reach of middle- and lower-class pet owners. Many of these are not only unnecessary, but some even border on being unethical in my opinion.

http://www.oldcountryvet.com/

Vet 101: Vaccinations

Vet 101: Heartworm

Vet 101: Lyme Disease

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:12 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

So this man disproves the myth about using ivermectin to treat a dog infected with heartworms will kill them. This is very interesting I want to see how this goes, anyone see other vets shutting him up to save their income???????

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:22 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Wish i had the $700 i gave to a vet for heartworm treatment about 14 years ago.Didnt know any better back then .If i had that money back i would buy seveal of his books and just give them to friends .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:13 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Thanks Buckshot, I began getting suspicious of vets a number of years ago. I am also suspicious of dentists and people drs. so I pick them all very carefully and will pass on some extras. There's been a number of times when I was needing stitches for some finger or something on me I cut. If the stitching is any where in the same number as the pokes needed to numb it I just tell them start sewing and skip the pain relief, I won't yelp or twitch, just get it done. The docs aren't real used to that but I tell them the stinkin novacaine shots hurt as bad as anything your little sewing needle is going to do so lets just keep the piercing total low as we can. They aren't used to patients who can think that through.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:35 pm 
IP:
1gonered wrote:
So this man disproves the myth about using ivermectin to treat a dog infected with heartworms will kill them. This is very interesting I want to see how this goes, anyone see other vets shutting him up to save their income???????

Ivermectin can treat heart worms but if too many worms die too fast they will clog the lungs.The chance for death is not actually the chemical but the dead worms.

Edit:The heartworm video debunked what the vets have been telling.

GREAT POST!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:17 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

1gonered wrote:

ivermectin ive been told is in all the heart worm preventis i use enterceptor way i look at it why wait for them to potentialy catch heart worms OR ANY WORMS they guarntee there product against ALL THE WORMS if they catch worms while on there medicine THEY PAY FOR THE TREATMENT AND VET BILL i use it and have yet to c them pass any worms

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The heartworm video is not present, just two of the same lyme disease video's and the vaccination video ??
sure would like to see what you all are speaking of.

Thanks,
Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:29 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Is this book any good???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

TByrd wrote:
Is this book any good???

Yes, well worth the money, I own it and find it very useful.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

CMW wrote:
1gonered wrote:

ivermectin ive been told is in all the heart worm preventis i use enterceptor way i look at it why wait for them to potentialy catch heart worms OR ANY WORMS they guarntee there product against ALL THE WORMS if they catch worms while on there medicine THEY PAY FOR THE TREATMENT AND VET BILL i use it and have yet to c them pass any worms

For the people wondering what he recommends for treating heartworm yourself......Heartguard OR Ivermectin given monthly(dosed for their bodyweight) for 18 months will cure an animal of the heartworm infection. Like I said in my other post, I believe this book is worth it's weight in gold. I bought mine from e~bay, an they're well worth every penny.
Hope this helps,
Sincerely, BDL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Wow, that's exactly what vet told me. Said he couldn't give me heart-worm meds with out a heart -worm check. So Ive been waiting til i could afford the vet visit and my dogs have went without treatment this month. What a crook!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:15 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I really hesitated on replying to this post because I was afraid people would automatically think Im biased, and I quit posting answers over a year ago because I was afraid I was being taken the wrong way...but please do a little research on things before you think its completely true. Some of the things Dr. Busby says are exactly right and some of the things he says are exactly wrong. Keep in mind that while he says he is trying to save you money, he is also trying to sell his book, which also has a lot of good info and a lot of misleading info (promise Ive read it). Some of the things he says to do are no doubt less than whats considered the "Standard of Care" for veterinary medicine and if you would like particulars I would be happy to talk to anyone about that on PM. But thats not surprising considering Dr. Busby is no longer practicing veterinary medicine and has had multiple run-ins with the MN State Vet Board, one of which can be seen for public veiw if you google his name and MN vet board.

The point of this is not to discredit him, but just to ask everyone to make sure you look at a few different sources before you form an opinion on something that could mean life or death with your dog. And when you find a source of information, ask yourself if that person has anything to gain by telling you what they are telling you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

==========================

==========================
It seems as though, many people don't thank about the deference between; Heartworm preventative and Heartworm treatment!!! The Ivomec formula { 1/10 cc per 10 Lbs body weight } is for prevention. TREATMENT Is a whole different ballgame!!! Its not absolute<but very possible > That Ivomec could cause death to a dog highly infested with Heartworms>If the dog receives a full preventative dose and kills too many worms at one time. Ivomec would be at fault indirectly!!! If you have a dog with Heartworms; Be very careful!!! There's a big difference between treatment and prevention!!!

I agree on books, Most, ARE wrote to make money!!! Some are wrote by Authors who don't know any better.

The Swamp Guide