CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:11 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My grandpa got me started into coon hunting. He would always tell me stories that sounded really fun. until about 10 years ago he always hunted walkers but then went to mountain curs though cuz he is getting older and can hunt them in day and they handle real good. Me and him would go out squirrel huntin with his curs and a couple years later would take me coon hunting with them. We hardly ever caught any coon but always had a good time. I started hunting by myself a bit and the curs were getting better and getting me some coon. I was really.starting to like it now. One summer my grandpas friend talked to me about hunting. I told him I liked it and wanted a dog of my own but a hound. He said he would let me hunt his 1.5 year old redtick. I was excited and hunted every night. That dog didn't do much at first but started turning on quick. I kept him for a month and gave him back and he could trail and tree like a champ. My grandpas friend was impressed and so he said if I could get his littermate to that dog going that good, he would buy me a dog. So I hunted his female redtick for a month every night and she turned out alright. She wasn't as good as her brother though so I was nervous about what he would say. He took her hunting and next day wrote me a check so I could go get a dog. With that, I went and bought a walker dog and ever since then, I've been hooked!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:43 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My uncle used to take me back when I was a kid. I'm talking like 4 or 5 years old. We lived down around Nashville at the time and he lived in Southeastern Kentucky. Well every time we would come in to visit the family I would have to go. Well in 1997 he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and died in 99. When he got too sick to hunt he gave his Walker and his Redbone to me. We took them back home to Murfreesboro with us. We had them in kennels in the back yard and somebody poisoned them not 2 weeks after I got them. Well about 4 months ago I got a hold of a a B/T cross and just recently started back. I do it because it was something that all the boys in the family used to do but once he passed everybody quit. I feel like sometimes he's right there with me at the tree.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am just getting started coon hunting. I have always enjoyed hounds here In Deep easttexas we used to hunt deer with hounds till early 90 s Texas officials decided they wanted to outlaw a traditional sport of tru honest americans. A crime if you ask me. anyway thats a whole other forum. For years we went To La. then the cost of it all being out of state was overwhelming. So we watched them slowly disappear we gave dogs to friends and buddies who would use them. moved on to fox running for a while. Then i went to work The last 15 years with work and all just havent hunted at all. Kinda old school I bucked the system with my dad dont support the folks that took our dogs away from us he was hard core and always laughed and joked its ok cause all these folks that are anti dog they will pay for it in club membership just watch in a few years and sure enough it very little public land to hunt and lease's 1000,s and over per year. I have a Treeing walker about 4 years old he Is a good dog, and he has me excited like kid at christmas time a feelling of something I really enjoy, and i have missed for years. The passing of my father a few years back has kinda had me in a deep rut for a while, not having intrest in nothing, but this loud mouth walker and the good lord is bringing me out. Kinda strange to some, mabey but my dad loved those hound dogs and so do I. It is a dying tradition that we need to support and keep alive. Good too see a site like this. Houndsmen The Minority these days at least here in southeast tx. thanks and god bless you all

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:10 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I've always hunted coons with my uncles and grandpa, but when I was about 14 I had a step dad that came along and we got to be really close and he became a brother/bestfriend/stepdad.. Well my grandpa got to old to be out there huntin and he had an ole walker female just in a pin.. Me and Mel decided we was gonna take that ole walker out,and wee didn't slow down none huntin every night untill Dec.05,2009.. I got a phone call that my step dad had past! Tore me up from head to toe! I decided that I wasn't gonna hunt anymore. Well a year later I went and picked up my blue tick and said that if he couldn't Hun that I was gonna hunt for him!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got hooked on coon hunting just this past season, I'm only 21 and have been an avid hunter and fishermen since I was little, but had never experienced coon hunting. That day I had just attended a funeral viewing of a close friend and mentor of mine, I was in a terrible mindset to say the least. That night one of my hunting buddies asked if I wanted to go coon hunting and I thought it was a good opportunity to get my mind off my loss. As we were hunting I learned that the walker and black and tan we were running were both named after my deceased friend. Talk about not helping with the healing process ha. Well it was midnight, and we had been hunting since dark and had not hit a track all night. I was not very impressed with coon hunting, but I decided to not lose hope and I decided to say a little prayer to my deceased friend. Not 20 minutes later, we heard the dogs were treeing in another section, and by the end of the night we got 3 coons out of that one tree. Never has my present mood been so dramatically uplifted. I was deeply proud of those dogs, and I was grinnin ear to ear worse than a opossum. I'll never forget that night, and since I have been thoroughly hooked by the sport.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

As a kid i loved the book and movie where the red fern grows and was fascinated with the idea of coon hunting. While in college i met some coon hunters and one of them gave me an English he didn't care for. The 1st time i took Smoke out he treed 2 coons, iv been hooked since.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:01 pm 
IP:
I grew up in an area that was very against hunting. Moved to Montana when I was 19 and saw what hunting was really about and got involved. I had a coonhound, only because I like how the breed looked, and one day the idea crossed my mind that why not set him off on coons. I didn't know a single coon hunter so nobody helped me; just had a "why not?" thought one day. Now I have no idea why I believed all the anti-hunting propaganda when I was growing up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Old Mr. Babington lived down the road when I was a kid. I would always ride my bike by his house on my way to and from the creek fishin. One day I was on my way back carrying a big carp like a football and he was sittin on the front porch. He hollered at me and I stopped and talked. I was probably 12 or so. That was the first of many afternoons I spent at his house sittin on the porch. He had coonhunted since he was a kid but was long past his days in the woods. He used to give me his old full cry magazines. Some were dated back to the 50's and 60's. Sure wish I had those mags now. Rest in Peace Howard Babington....you were a good friend.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:14 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

my dad always talked about his earlier coon hunting stories, thats what got me interested. then i went with a buddy one night, ever since then ive always hunted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:12 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My grandfather got me started when I was 7 years old, he had an old Redbone, I remember my first night in the woods with em, and as soon as I heard her tree, I was hooked from there, at 8 he bought me my first Walker pup, Jake, we trained and trained that dog, after he lost Lady he quit hunting when I was almost 10, I'm 18 now and training a Redbone pup and wishing I could hunt with him again..I miss it like something fierce

CH "PR" Nichols Sweet Sugar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:12 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i started with my great grandpa when i was about 12 and went with some friends and wanded a dog sooooo bad but momma wouldnt let me have one so i ended up goin behind her back and hiddin her back behind the barn well as all of yall know a 3 month old hound aint exactly the quietest thing around and she found out.... got my tail tore up but she was and is worth it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:33 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have been hunting with a friend of mine for 6 years he has 6 coyote hounds this inspired me to try and get my own hound so i decided to get a redbone because i have always loved them he is now 4 1/2 months old and doing well

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got into coonhunting about six or seven years ago and a friend of mine knew i loved to hunt and kept begging me to come see what coonhunting was about and after that first night i was the one who wanted to go out constantly and finally he turned to me and asked if i was going to buy a dog and he told me about a guy up the road who had a walker kennel and had some pretty good dogs and i went down there to talk to him and he told me that i had two choices with him either one buy a pup that he had and see what i could do with it or spend a little more money and buy an already broke dog and let the dog teach me about coonhunting well i ended up buying a female pup for 50 bucks now back then i didnt have no money but i can say this now i have had that female pup for almost three years and that is probly the best 50 bucks i have ever spent i spent almost 80 percent of my time training and working that dog she is what you would call one of the very few special dogs that you will ever own in your life and i lucked out on my first coonhound i already made her bench champion and now im working on nite champion then grand nite and possibly make her a dual grand but shes out of the buck creek walkers and i wont hunt any other type of coonhound except walkers no matter what anyone says every dog has a chance to be a world beater but its up to the owner to bring out the best of their abilites

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:13 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I got started by going with my dad, grandpaw and great uncle. We never had the high dollar dogs and sometimes the ones we did have would tree an old possum but we had some great times. Now the memories of those great times is all I have as my grandpaw and dad have died. I hope to be able to teach my kids the way I was taught.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have an older brother of ten years. When I was younger he would take me coon hunting with him once in a while. I wanted to go every time, but he was 19 or 20 and I was 9 or 10. I had a real nice beagle I trained from a pup back then, and one hot summer day that beagle crawled under my brothers truck to find some shade. He used to park his truck on a hill so he could pop start it. Well.....he jumped in his truck, shoved in the clutch and rolled right over my beagle. I was devastated.......but you could imagine how bad my brother felt! He felt so bad he gave me his Bluetick hound. I hunted that dog for many years until he died from old age and treed countless coons with him. I can still remember the sound of Andy's bawl mouth today.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next