CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey all,new to this forum,to start I'm not a hunter,well I do hunt,but not with dogs.I adopted what I'm told by the adoption agency is a "failed hunter".He was bred and raised for 2 yrs as a hunter in Tennessee and given up for adoption.He is a Black and tan coonhound and is a great dog.Dont know exactly why he failed as a hunter,but not important to me.He is the best behaved dog I've known.....usually.I am trying to train him off leash.At first he was very good,not going too far from me and coming back when I called.I take him every day to a "park" nearby,really just a tract of farmland about a mile long by a half mile wide of mostly open fields.He has began taking off I assume on scents and he ignores me when I call till I get louder and louder til I have to scream to get his attention.He will then stop and come back reluctantly.I assume he is just doing what he was trained to do in his first 2 yrs of life,he is now 3 1/2 yrs old,I've had him for a year.My question now is are there common commands hunters use to get a dog off a scent? I assume he was trained to hunt coons,since he reacts strongest when he scents a coon and has treed coons twice since I got him.He is interested in the squirrels in the back yard,but mildly compared to when I have him near coons.I dont intend to hunt him,but thought if I could use commands he is likely used to it would be less confusing for him....and easier on me.Thanks in advance for any insight from you guys who know these dogs best.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:06 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

most trained hounds wont just quit a good track when you tell them to come. None of mine will come off a good track unless I go get them, but some people train their hounds to come no matter what. This usually involves a shock collar...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

jeeppro wrote:
most trained hounds wont just quit a good track when you tell them to come. None of mine will come off a good track unless I go get them, but some people train their hounds to come no matter what. This usually involves a shock collar...

I was afraid that would be the case.I have a feeling what he is "tracking" is other dogs.He tends to stay on the groomed trail where everybody walks,many with dogs.When he is with the other dogs, he runs with as many as 5 others sometimes,he seems to be more compliant.He stays closer and will come when called,then run off to catch up with the others.The problem is when nobody else is there with dogs,he just wont listen.I thought about trying a shock collar,but I'm not sure about how that would work out.I'd have to read up on using them,I guess.Thanks for the reply,jeeppro,I was hoping maybe there were some commands that are used by hunters that would make it easier for him,thought I may be confusing him,but I guess thats not the case.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Use a shocker collar if my redbone doesn't come to me I shock him real good until he comes back to me just make sure to pet him up real good when he comes to you so he don't think it's a bad thing to come to you. For my commands I teach him come, sit, stay, heel, get up, get the coon, and tree him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

redbonesforever69 wrote:
Use a shocker collar if my redbone doesn't come to me I shock him real good until he comes back to me just make sure to pet him up real good when he comes to you so he don't think it's a bad thing to come to you. For my commands I teach him come, sit, stay, heel, get up, get the coon, and tree him.

How do you train him to understand that the shock means to "come" or whatever other command?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I would be awfully careful with a shock collar. Far more dogs are ruined with them than "fixed". I have seen people shock their hound when it won't come, then shock them when they wont leave to hunt. The dog has absolutely no idea what it is supposed to do!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah,jeep,thats kind of a concern.Although I dont intend to hunt this dog,he has already been deemed a "failed hunter",that is why he was given up for adoption.Whoever had this dog,trained him for 2 yrs and decided he wasnt up to snuff.He's a great dog,for my purposes,as a companion/pet.Around the house and in the yard he is very obedient.When I let him loose in the fields it takes a lot to get his attention.I have to call at least 3 times and get louder and louder each time to get him to stop.He seems to be looking for other dogs to run with.Funny thing is,when he is running with other dogs,he will respond and come when called,he will run back off after I pet him and say "good boy" but at least he will obey.Very frustrating.I'm thinking I may try a trainer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

your basically trying to do a pretty hard thing, its bred into the dog to hunt and run scent, a hound seems to shut a lot of things out when they are tracking and just focus on the scent which is what normally you want them to do. what your trying to do is basically like having a Lab and not letting it swim if hes near water. That said I have a walker and the alpha shock/tone/vibrate collar, it is super helpful in training if used right. I can tone the dog and as long as he has reception he will stop and come back no matter what, no shocking needed. you may need something like this to snap him out of it when he gets locked into running a scent trail and wont listen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah,I figure he needs to be "de-programmed" from his first 2 yrs of life.I'm not crazy about using a shock collar,and if I do,I would get a trainer to be sure I use it right.As it is now,I cant seem to correct him.When he does finally listen and come back,I can only praise him,since he did listen,finally.Any other behavioral issues I've had,such as staying off the couch or my bed,it took very little correction,he catches on immediately,so he is very trainable.I just cant figure out how to get it across to him when he's so far away running.He is definately chasing scent,cause he runs with his nose to the ground all the way.When he runs with the other dogs,he responds immediately to "hey","stop","come" even stops and pays attention if I whistle.I'm pretty sure when he's running on a scent,its other dogs he's tracking cause he stays on the trail,if he seems like he wants to go into the woods or off the path I say "no" and he goes back on the scent on the trail.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:07 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

An e collar is a very powerful thing in my opinion, it is not hard to use them either. If your hound is smart it should only take a few times of shocking before you can just tone him and he knows you mean business. you can adjust the level of shock also so its not like your frying him when you push the button is just basically something to break his attention away from the track he is running. It can save the life of your hunting dog say he is getting ready to cross a busy road on a track or is getting into a property where a landowner is not friendly and you don't want your dog to be you can tone them back and keep them out of harms way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

stokes wrote:
redbonesforever69 wrote:

How do you train him to understand that the shock means to "come" or whatever other command?

All I do is when he runs away from me I tell him to come but if he don't come then I press tone then vibrate then he gets shocked it makes it so they can't run from you because you got control of him by giving him pain they learn real quick when to start listening

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:31 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Some people should not be allowed to own a shock collar or a gun

Frog