CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: wolves
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just wonder u think of or lovely wolf problem in Wisconsin. My 2 cents is save a coonhound kill a wolf

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: wolves
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Takedown wrote:
Just wonder u think of or lovely wolf problem in Wisconsin. My 2 cents is save a coonhound kill a wolf

I'd say there isn't a wolf problem. Its all a matter of perception. I prefer to think of the benefit to the states lands that are reaped by having wolves running its forests and fields. Wolves kill livestock and they'll slam your dogs, that is no doubt, but they also control yotes and foxes, maintain deer moose and elk herds, increase the number of upland game birds and waterfowl by killing and eating nest predators and help reduce erosion from hoofstock which would otherwise reduce stream quality in trout waters.

I'd be angrier than you can imagine if my Walker got nailed by a wolf on a hunt, but you can be darn sure I'd still support the DNR and their decision to keep em.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

kinda sounds like what a tree hugger would say.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:02 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yea, but they'd be saying it out of some misguided bambi syndrome emotional argument. I say it as an outdoorsman and wildlife manager.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

nope lost to many dogs to those darn things, every wolf u c with a 44 mag bullet in its but uk tht, tht wolf came across me!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:25 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Takedown wrote:
kinda sounds like what a tree hugger .ould say.

yup, i'd have to agree with this. Maintain Deer and Moose populations? Why not allow man to harvest more? Open up on the yotes and other nuisance animals. I don't want the wolves to go away but to give them too much protection doesn't make sense.
And no pun intended, but this guy seems like he may be a "wolf in sheep's clothing".

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:48 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hah, come on, you guys are killing me here. Wolf in sheep's clothing, I kind of like that. Seriously though, There is a big difference between being able to recognize the benefits of top down predation by reintroduced wolves or thinking there should be total protection on wolves or no wolves at all. I've got friends working in the National Park Service right now doing predation studies on wolves, folks that spend all day following packs in weather 90+ to -30, categorizing carcasses and sawing open femurs on kills to look at how healthy the animal was before it died by looking at the marrow. I think they're great animals to have in a place that can support them, there aren't many places that can though, not indefinitely. Not even the Appalachians, and I've seen the reports on that myself.

You've gotta understand though that decisions in wildlife management aren't made without good reason. Now I could take the bait here and try and argue this or argue that and folks could keep on with this "treehugger" business, I've been called worse, but I won't. What I will do is gladly talk to you via pm if you'd like to talk more about wildlife management. As far as I'm concerned, the more people that understand wildlife management the better. Would give me a chance to hear from other folks about what they see and understand about the wildlife and woods they hunt too.

And if you wanna give me an earful, well, now is the time. I'll listen.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:52 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

they shoud have a wolf season because there is too many dam wolves killing some darn nice dogs but there isnt so if i encounter a wolf im going to kill it any way cause i am all about protecting my hounds i strongy agree with takedown kill the darn things

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:29 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

redbone4me wrote:
Takedown wrote:
kinda sounds like what a tree hugger .ould say.

yup, i'd have to agree with this. Maintain Deer and Moose populations? Why not allow man to harvest more? Open up on the yotes and other nuisance animals. I don't want the wolves to go away but to give them too much protection doesn't make sense.
And no pun intended, but this guy seems like he may be a "wolf in sheep's clothing".

a friend of mine who is into this sort of thing ( Federal Parks Naturalist) would tell us that the presence of top tier predators like Wolves, who weed out the sick and weak from herds, create healthier populations and will actually increase the number of healthy animals.
thus increasing the available animals to hunt.
I think what was meant here is that the presence of wolves might actually benefit the human hunt.
I am not a scientist tho...just passing along what I have been told by those who are.

If I am asked to make a choice between my dog and a wolf...the wolf looses.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:52 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

we have some here in tn, i hear them often, they have never came to within sight on me, but come in close when my dogs tree. personally i see them good for nothing, id defiently take a shot at one if it cross my path

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:05 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Just a question here but how many dogs actually get killed by wolves? I would think more would be killed by bear or big cats. What about cars? should we get rid of them too? just a few things to think about.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:19 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

@ ghost hunter what kind of wolfs have u been seeing in tn , red wolfs or what yotes howl like a wolf sometimes but I'm pretty sure there are none here I could be wrong out west though just curious I'm going to watch my step if so lol

Post subject: wolves
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

smokehunt4140 wrote:
@ ghost hunter what kind of wolfs have u been seeing in tn , red wolfs or what yotes howl like a wolf sometimes but I'm pretty sure there are none here I could be wrong out west though just curious I'm going to watch my step if so lol

Twra released red wolves here in Tn. They are not much bigger than our yotes and actually cross breed with em. I have seen one and that all ive seen here.

Happy huntin,
Brandon Parrott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:27 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I hurd they tryed turning some loose in the citico/tellico plains area but they wasn't surviving !! But I have no ideal don't like the thought of it for my poop eaters lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:14 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't know about wolves but my buddy lost a good dog to a couple of coyotes not too awful long ago.