CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:02 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Houndsmen in Pennsylvania please click the link below and read! If this anti-tethering bill passes it will be detrimental to hunters, field trialers, and sporting dog owners across the state. Contact your local representatives and encourage them to vote NO on SB373

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/leg ... 73&pn=0288

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:39 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I read the law & the way I read it, you can still teather a dog as long as it's chain is 10' or 3 x's longer than the dog. You can still have them outside as long as their dog houses meet the criteria & proper bedding.

I really don't see it as a bad thing & my thoughts are... Most houndsmen I know all ready meet the criteria they underlined. It looks to me more like it would effect people that buy the cute little puppy & when it gets big they kick it out of the house & tie it to a box only to be fed & no attention the rest of its life.

I personally hate to see scraggly dogs just tied to a box & never get attention. Don't get me wrong my hounds are tied to a box but they get tended to at least 2-3 times per day & they get hunted year round. They're never laid up more than 2-3 weeks at a time & that's only when the females are in heat.
I personally like chains more than kennels because in my experience I give them more attention because it's easier when I walk by to stop to scratch their ears on a chain then open the door of a kennel.

I'm not against kennels at all, I just prefer chains.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I actually just sent an E-mail to my State Senator to understand the specifics on this Bill. If I don't get a reply within a few days I will call.
It never hurts to let them know how you feel & that I DO VOTE!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Jef Futscher wrote:
I read the law & the way I read it, you can still teather a dog as long as it's chain is 10' or 3 x's longer than the dog. You can still have them outside as long as their dog houses meet the criteria & proper bedding.

I really don't see it as a bad thing & my thoughts are... Most houndsmen I know all ready meet the criteria they underlined. It looks to me more like it would effect people that buy the cute little puppy & when it gets big they kick it out of the house & tie it to a box only to be fed & no attention the rest of its life.

I personally hate to see scraggly dogs just tied to a box & never get attention. Don't get me wrong my hounds are tied to a box but they get tended to at least 2-3 times per day & they get hunted year round. They're never laid up more than 2-3 weeks at a time & that's only when the females are in heat.
I personally like chains more than kennels because in my experience I give them more attention because it's easier when I walk by to stop to scratch their ears on a chain then open the door of a kennel.

I'm not against kennels at all, I just prefer chains.

If you want to side with the HSUS on this one, that's on you. I really don't think you're understanding the bill in it's entirety. I would hope any one of us who would call himself a houndsmen would agree that we don't want to see dogs neglected, in poor conditions without adequate shelter and space. But this poorly written bill is over the edge. One way or another under this bill, if you leave dogs chained out, you will be in violation of the law. Even so much as tying a dog to a tree in a night hunt while you are shining another dogs tree will be against the law by this bill. I suggest you re-read this section of the bill before you get behind it.

(c.1) Tethering of dogs.--
14(1) Except as otherwise provided under subsection (c)(2)
15or paragraph (2), a person commits a summary offense if the
16person tethers an unattended dog, by use of a physical
17restraint, to any stationary or highly immobile object unless
18all of the following apply:

19(i) The tethering is not for a longer period of time
20than is reasonably necessary for the dog or person to
21complete a temporary task that requires the dog to be
22physically restrained.
23(ii) The dog is periodically monitored while
24tethered.
25(iii) The tether is attached to the dog by a
26nonchoke-type collar and is attached to the object by
27swivel anchors, latches or similar devices in a manner
28which prevents the tether from:
29(A) becoming entangled around any object so as
30to limit the dog's freedom; or
20150SB0373PN0288 -2-

1(B) entangling the dog or any of the dog's
2appendages.
3(iv) The tether used to restrain the dog is of a
4type commonly used for the dog involved and is not
5thicker than one-eighth of an inch
6(v) The tether is at least three times the length of
7the dog, as measured from the tip of the dog's nose to
8the base of the dog's tail, but not less than 10 feet in
9length.
10(vi) The dog has easy access to potable drinking
11water, edible food and adequate shade and shelter within
12the tethered area, unless the dog is being directly
13supervised.
14(vii) The dog is not tethered outdoors:
15(A) during any period in which a severe weather
16warning has been issued for the area by the National
17Weather Service; or
18(B) for a continuous period of time greater than
19 30 minutes if the temperature is below 32 degrees
20Fahrenheit or above 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Post subject: Newest changes! sb481
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Here's the newest revision of the bill. Still over the edge and uncalled for IMO.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/leg ... 81&pn=0539

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

So your dog can be chained out under a shade tree in the summer, coolest place on the farm, the temperature breaks 90* and now you're an outlaw. The national weather service calls a severe thunderstorm warning while you're at work, you're an outlaw. Under sb481 they have the right to come and take your dog, and slap you with a fine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I guess maybe I'm not real worried about HSUS following me in the woods to know if my dogs tied to a tree while I'm shining another tree.
And I all ready have my hounds in a 20'x60' building so it would be tough for them to take my dogs even under that bill if it gets passed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Jef Futscher wrote:
I guess maybe I'm not real worried about HSUS following me in the woods to know if my dogs tied to a tree while I'm shining another tree.
And I all ready have my hounds in a 20'x60' building so it would be tough for them to take my dogs even under that bill if it gets passed.

I guarantee this bill won't effect me and my dogs, I live in Maryland, I don't hunt PA, and my dogs are well cared for in a good kennel. Just trying to look out for my fellow houndsmen here. If you give HSUS and PETA an inch, they'll take a mile. If you are charged with animal cruelty in any state, there's a very good chance you are going to be convicted, rather you were in the wrong or not. That's just the way it is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:09 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I actually had a very lengthy conversation with the women who introduced this bill today. She assured me that tethering only applied to people tying there dog to a tree or pole unattended. You/we are perfectly ok to have dogs tied out year round provided they have a dog house of good construction that meets the criteria they underlined.
You can have them chained as long as it's not a chain that gets easily tangled( like those cheap dog chains) & they don't want to see heavy log chains.
If you have a well constructed dog house with straw & a flap over the door or some means to break the wind, you don't need to pay attention to severe weather warnings.
This new Bill is proposed for & exactly what I thought, for the people that tie a unwanted pet outside to their deck or tree & only feed them & have no regard other than that.
There is all ready a law in Pa against the Old dreaded Blue Barrels with a hole cut out for a dog house. It's been in the books for many years. I'm sure now thou it will be enforced harder than it previously was.

Everything she told me was exactly as I understood it to be so I guess I can safely say I am behind this Bill to become Law. And as I stated before, it will not effect any houndsmen I know because they all ready show that much regard for their hounds.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Jef Futscher wrote:
I actually had a very lengthy conversation with the women who introduced this bill today. She assured me that tethering only applied to people tying there dog to a tree or pole unattended. You/we are perfectly ok to have dogs tied out year round provided they have a dog house of good construction that meets the criteria they underlined.
You can have them chained as long as it's not a chain that gets easily tangled( like those cheap dog chains) & they don't want to see heavy log chains.
If you have a well constructed dog house with straw & a flap over the door or some means to break the wind, you don't need to pay attention to severe weather warnings.
This new Bill is proposed for & exactly what I thought, for the people that tie a unwanted pet outside to their deck or tree & only feed them & have no regard other than that.
There is all ready a law in Pa against the Old dreaded Blue Barrels with a hole cut out for a dog house. It's been in the books for many years. I'm sure now thou it will be enforced harder than it previously was.

Everything she told me was exactly as I understood it to be so I guess I can safely say I am behind this Bill to become Law. And as I stated before, it will not effect any houndsmen I know because they all ready show that much regard for their hounds.

Mr. I don't mean to be rude to you, but you have just had the wool pulled over your eyes by a slick politician. If this thing passes, that nice lady on the phone isn't the one who's going to write you a ticket, or give you your sentence, and she's certainly not going to be there to testify on your behalf. There are plenty of bleeding heart liberal judges in your state just like mine, and they would all be happy to put the screws to you if they find out about your poor little doggie chained out in the cold. Organizations like HSUS and PETA are well funded, and a serious threat to our sport. If you want to take their side on this, you go right ahead. Just don't fuss about it when your kids or grandchildren can no longer keep and hunt hounds.

Good day sir.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:23 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Im starting to get the picture; your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired doesn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Jef Futscher wrote:
Im starting to get the picture; your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired doesn't it?

No need for insults. My reading comprehension is just fine, apparently you're the one having trouble reading and understanding this bill. I was just trying to help out my fellow houndsmen. You sir, can GFY.
That is all.