CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: wont hunt by herself
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:55 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i have a 2 year old redtick female. I can go with my buddy and she will stay with his dog and occasionally split from his dog and run and tree, but if i only take her by herself , she will not get out of seeing distance from me and just slowly prowl around. I've hunted her quite a bit by herself and can't get her out of it. Is there anything i can do to get her to hunt better and harder??

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:12 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

anybody had this situation or have any suggestions???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:25 pm 
IP:
has she ever treed a coon like that or just prowl around

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

my old walker dog does that occasionally, he'll just stay at your feet and walk with you, i usually just grab him by the collar and kinda push him out in front of me and he will go on usually but other times he just wont hunt, but when i take him with another dog you'll not see him for hours, i dont know how to fix it but i thought id let you know im havin the same problem...lol

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

has has never treed when i've took her by herself. where i hunt its sortof hard to get a real close strike . she doesn't get out far enough to get a strike. she won't let me walk her because she is doing her own thing but she usually wont get out of seeing distance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:02 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:26 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

LCK , chet, do you all have any problems with this or is this uncommon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:11 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Sounds like she would rather lay out on the couch and watch jay leno or something. Honestly, It's hard to say what the problem can be. I've had dogs to go out and just simply burn it up and then again I've had some to just be stuck under my legs and then run to the truck. I never really did understand why but then again if one of my dogs did that more than 4-5 hunts in a row, then I would look for someone who wanted to buy a coon dog that really dont know much about coon dogs or coon hunting. (Ya know, that's kinda messed up now that I think about what I just said.) Anyways.... GOOD LUCK!! and spend all the time you can with her. If she goes with other dogs and is able to tree then that's great. But it kind of sounds like a confidence issue and a finding and tracking a scent issue. I would definitely try in some way to introduce her to coons more. Drags and trapped coons, anything to do with tracking by scent. I've seen a lot of dogs do better when they have other dogs with them. They seem like they have that encouraged, competitive attitude. But it's a confident, good tracking dog that will do it on their own without the encouragement and help. A lot of work involved. Keep trying to work with her for a while it will get better. Be confident and think positive and it might wear on her. lol. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:22 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

my 2 yo gyp does that. i mean she gets gone and trails for a long time, but rite when you think she ought to start getting hot on it, she'll just quit and come back to the truck. im just hoping she'll grow out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:04 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE THIS DOG HAS ALWAYS BEEN HUNTED WITH OTHER DOGS? IF SHE WAS MINE I WOULD FIND A PLACE LIKE ALONG CORNFIELDS TO HUNT. THEN ON THE GOOD WARM NIGHTS WHEN THE COON ARE REALLY MOVING ID TAKE HER AND HUNT HER THERE. ID BE WIILING TO BET IF SHE GETS ON SOME HOT TRACKS SHE WILL START HUNTING HARDER. IT SOUNDS LIKE SHE LACKS CONFIDENCE. GOOD LUCK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:26 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

she hasn't been hunted alot by herself but she has had her oppurtunities. she has had alot of coon on her and had alot of drags and cage coon when she was younger. she is a little shy and scared by herself. i dunno. i'm hoping in age she will get out and hunt better by herself. she is doing really good another dog and isn't the first bit trashy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:45 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

A lot of drags may be the dogs problem it may be waiting on you to get a coon going for it. I would hunt it alone for a while don't let it stay under your feet if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:59 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

she has been on her own coon and knows how to track and tree , she is a laid back sortof dog and she doesn't get out far by herself and is slow doing it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got an older dog who is use to huntin with other dogs.what can I do to make him hunt better by himself,the dog will hunt but isnt too sure of himself without another dog there.Is there any advice on how to handle this dog,dont really have any other dogs to hunt him with.how ca i make him do it alone?

Post subject: Re: wont hunt by herself
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just got done dealing with this problem.What i did was just went out there and sat there till the dog got boared.It will take a while of just sitting there butt will learn if it dont get out and go it will not find any coons.You may sit there 2 hours before dog might go awy from you.It may take a few times.I started my dog before i ran him with others.GOOD LUCK