CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: wont hunt by herself
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm having the same problem I have a he is bout 14 months old. The first time I got him the guy told me that he really wouldn't go out far to hunt. So I bought the dog anyways thinking that I can maybe fool with him and get him to go hunt but he won't the guy said that he hunts good with other dogs but, I'm not going hunting with other dogs all the time you know ! I want to be able to go hunting with him by himself I think he's still a puppy how can I get him to go on and hunt by himself? I'm willing to put the time and effort into to him because he's got great bloodline and I think he's got it in him I just need to be steered in the right direction. And I'm new to this as well with the dog training thing any advice would be great thanks !

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

and also is it wrong if I whip him for not going on and hunt or will it mess him up only done it once I just got frustrated with him I know I shouldn't have any advice on this will this one whooping mess him up?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:43 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

most likely will not know what the whiping is for.had the same problem with my 5 year old walker when he was young.i just walked him nightly and he started to come around.turned out to be a nice hound.he is now a pkc champion and ukc nitech.good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

stu9344: how long till he came around? was he still a pup or did it take a while? sorry to thread jack.seems alot of dogs do this

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:36 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

a whole lot of people think you should wait till a dog split trees or starts treeing ahead of the other dog before you should single it out. if you wait till then you are waiting too long. once it runs a track and trees at all it should be hunted alone.
a dog 14 months to 2 years old and still being hunted with others will take even more patients on you to get it to hunt alone.when you single most dogs out they are at the biginning level of track running. they have always had the other dog to find the loses.they also have got so they want to pack hunt and when turned alone they dont have a clue.
IF YOU ARE EVER ABLE TO GET IT TO HUNT ALONE. I HAVE ONLY FOUND ONE WAY TO DO IT. THE SAME WAY YOU WOULD A YOUNGER DOG. BUT ITS GONNA TAKE YOU ALOT more PATIENTS AND FRUSTRATION TO DO IT.YOU WILL HAVE TO BE THE PACK OR OTHER DOG . WALK THEM INTO A GOOD SPOT AND SIT DOWN.totally ignore the dog.dont pet it ,talk to it or shine your light on it.just sit there. sit there alone,dont bring a buddy , just you. be prepared to do this for a couple hours if necessary. after it hunts that area , move on in.sit down again.and plan on doing it many many nights.lead the dog on the leash to the woods to where you want it to hunt ,then turn it lose. do this every time you move after it hunts a area.you dont want it to walk hunt,you want it to cast in off the leash. you want the dog to learn when you flip it loose off the leash it means go hunt. eventually you should be able to cast it in from the road.
if you break down and hunt it with another dog after you start this training you will be bringing yourself back to the first step and you will be starting this all over.if you get it to hunting good alone then work back into with others and with out.leave the other dog in the box and try to ease your dog in to go hunt. if it wont go,put it back in the box and turn the one that will go and make yours sit and listen from the box.but your gonna have to get it to go alone with no other dog in the box before you ever have a chance to get one to go with another dog still in the box.if you cant resist turning in on a hot one that crosses the road you bring it all back to the first step again. you will get it to hunt the road doing that. if you whip it,it will go hide.you may have to go many nights before you see any improvement at all. takes a whole lot of patients.if the dog trees a coon alone SHOOT IT OUT for the dog.AFTER you pull him off the tree or hopefully off the dead coon and walk a few steps pet him and make over him like he just won the world hunt.then take the dog home and put him up. next night take him and do it all over. after it will hunt out and trees a few times. then insted of taking it home,take it to another spot and cast it again.if you got the patients and the dog has the hunt in it, this will bring it out and work with most.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I bought a 4 year old bluetick female about 8 months ago.She is independent with other dogs and will stray away from them and track and tree by herself then but if I just turn her out all by herself then she wont hunt.I have let a coon out on her.(more than 3 times)She'll hunt by herself then and only then but unless she sees a coon or send her out with other dogs she wont do nothing.i mean she just hangs around the truck or me.i've tried switching her but she cowards down.Its like she doesn't get her confidence until she sees other dogs or a coon..Anybody know what to do???

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:19 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

sometimes the best advice is what we dont wont to hear. a dog that old is pretty much doing what its going to do. sounds to me like you need to keep hunting with other dogs or start over with a new dog. good luck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah thats pretty much what i was afraid of but pretty much the only dog there is around is my male witch is 2 and im tryin 2 single him out 2.He doesnt have that problem though.but i do have another question that i havent seen on here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

How old should a dog be before you breed him.An old man once told me for me not to breed a male dog before he is 3 years old.If u do then all he'll want to do when he hunts with a female is breed her and also makes him mean towards other dogs and maybe even you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:34 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Hambone20 wrote:
How old should a dog be before you breed him.An old man once told me for me not to breed a male dog before he is 3 years old.If u do then all he'll want to do when he hunts with a female is breed her and also makes him mean towards other dogs and maybe even you.

the old man was right dont breed him younger than 3 or 4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:56 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have been around dogs for 15 years, bloodhound search and rescue dogs, police dogs and bird dogs. I would hate to think how many dogs have past through my hands. How many trainers I have worked with. I saw one of the best air scenting dog in my life was a rescue dog. When the trainer got her she would not come out of the truck, she would hide behind the trainers leg. He took a year to bring that dog out of its shell, now she will go out looking for lost people, dog loves everyone. Like toe said patience you got to have patience ! If you can't set in the wood alone with your dog without getting mad and hitting it give it to a kid and move on. But if you have what it takes take it back to the beginning and start over treat the dog as its a puppy and start over. When you buy an older dog from someone your buying the dog and the training its had. A lot of people think they can feed a dog all summer long turn it loose hide season and its a world champ.for some its like riding a bike but I can just about bet the good dogs get a lot run time in the off season. Don't switch you dog if he don't know what its getting switched for. It's always best to put your dog away if your losing your patience . I wish I had more room, I think I could make a lot of money training problem dogs.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:05 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I had this problem a few years ago with a young dog. I started taking her out during the day on little walks, after awhile she started going out little futher each time. I would gust hang in that area untill she returned letting her no that I would be there when she would returned. After a few weeks started going out about half an hour before dark letting her do the transfermation from day light to dark. This worked for her. I dont no how it would work on a an older hound. I hope this mite help out some, like I said she was young around 10 months old at the time. Jmo its gust what worked for me.

Pr big river midnight alibi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:57 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

put on a tracking collar drop dog where there should be coon and sit for a long time make sure you shut the tailgate or the dog will get back in after a while LOL I have took snacks and fell asleep before and woek up looked at garmin and dog was 700 yards running track. Some got it some dont though. Most are just as skeered of the dark as most kids are till they figure out not to be.It's gonna take awhile and will be frustrating but has to be done alone just you and the dog any freinds or anything else can be distracting and something for the dog to be interested in. Good luck