CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i got a redbone given to me a month ago, she was 2 1/2 yrs old and had been started on caged coons and hunted a little. She is the first coon dog I have trained (i have trained 3 labs to hunt pheasants and ducks and i have coon hunted 2 years with other guys and their dogs) I have been hunting here several times a week and she's really turned on pretty good. At first she didnt want to leave me but 2 weeks ago she treed 13 coons in 3 short hunts and last week she treed 9 in 3 hunts.
I am pretty excited- I think she is gonna do pretty well this season. She is quiet on a track unless its really hot but she trees really loud and she stays at the tree good too.
a couple nights ago i couldnt find her so i used my tracker and found her up on a road chewing on a roadkill coon! I'm just glad she didnt get hit by a car out there.
last hunt i went with a guy with a leapord cur and blue tick. the other dogs split treed, then both left their trees. I was pretty happy when my hound locked up good and stayed treed. then the other dogs came in and we had a good time listening to them bark.
im gonna take her out again tonight and hope for the best!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

bailey is progressing nicely- took her out this week and got 5 coons one night and 10 the next- i love to see her get better and better every night!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:11 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thanks for sharing. What lines your dog out of?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:35 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Glad to hear about that dog mine is coming along real well also

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

not sure what shes out of. She has a black nose that fades into red halfway across her head and the tips of her ears are dark too. rest of her body is red. I got her from someone that told me she is from a redbone breeder named clyde??? anybody heard of him? i want her papers:)
Bailey gets better every time out- Friday night she got me 7 coons with no help from another dog and she also helped another hunting group tree 2 others! She is a really strong tree dog now. still semi-silent on track. She has no problem running coons in the snow or across water either.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:21 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

here are some pics of bailey during season and the last one is her sister i just got. She needs some work but she will track and tree a little. has a good nose, just wont stay at the tree long.

Bailey is on the left, Belle on the right

im looking forward to a good 2013 season!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:59 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I know you got lot coons in Iowa,so get you a fur buyer lined up to buy green fur,with a dog like that you can make some money .[tree and skin keep walking,]you can carry 10 hides easy,but have the buyer lined up before season and make sure you get fair price.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:03 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

this last season i got about $600 from coons bailey treed- that pretty much paid for food for my 2 bird dogs and coon hound all year. This year is gonna be better with 2 hounds, but Im getting married in 3 weeks so I might not spend as much time in the woods as I did last year! My fiance' likes hunting some but only in warm weather(she is from alabama)... but we dont get much warm weather during season up here is northern iowa/ illinois!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:02 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Looks like your hunting days over

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:30 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Had a good thing going and now you are going blow it.

[kidding]

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:02 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thanks for all the encouragement guys!
I haven't signed the marriage license yet LOL!
But I have been running the hounds several nights the last few weeks just because I know when we get married I won't be able to hunt as much!

Post subject: GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:38 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I never wanted to have to end this post this way, but Bailey was hit by a car and killed 8/20/14.

She had grown up to be an exceptional coondog, and nobody that hunted with her would ever dispute that fact!

She was truly a pleasure to hunt with- extremely accurate and nearly always beat the other hounds to the tree.

I've hunted with several dogs and I wouldn't have traded Bailey for any 10 other dogs...

I have spent more time with Bailey in the last 2 years than I have with any other friend I have except my wife. We were very, very close and I wanted to crawl in the grave with her:( I cried like a baby when I said goodbye and everytime I have thought about her since then.

I'm just so thankful I had her for the time that I did. She wasn't just a possession of mine- I didn't "own" her... she was my favorite huntin' buddy and I miss her greatly...