CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: killing to many coons?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I dont understand it.There are a LOT of coon hunters and trappers in my area.I think to many coon being killed! Seeing coon right now is darn tough. Does any one else Experience this every year?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:53 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I see it EVERY year.All you can do is get some land(even if you have to lease it) and look out for yourself.It will turn into a full time job to keep tresspassers and predators to a minimum,and for GOD'S SAKE,don't take ANYBODY to your spot,but you gotta do what you gotta do.We got alot of people around here that shoot and trap every coon they can and just leave them in the woods,then gripe and complain that all their hunting spots are hunted out and they can't tree a coon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:12 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

People are just stupid . No need to shoot every coon they see . Let them go and just kill a few as possible . Drive any back road and you will find them just throwed out .
When We hunt we skin them and either eat the meat or give it to a couple that does

Sam's Creek Kennels
Home of
"PR" OLD TENNESSEE'S LITTLE LADY

"PR" Hayes' Little Treein Buddy

Jasmine "the over hyper Shih Tzu"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:34 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

seems like here in south ga. the population is on the increase , however seems this time of year every year coons just get smarter , harder to find and see less ........ they are still there , we just knock 1 out every now and then , and we are the only 1s coon hunting .... puzzling to me ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:15 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i don't see many coon here either. i'm beginning to see more as road kill, and that's a good sign, maybe they're making a come back. there are few coon hunters around here, maybe because there are so few coon. i still want to hunt them but i'm not that keen on killing them. i'm getting old and soft. maybe if they were over populated it would be different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Here in Indiana , I have noticed a large decline, In the summer I see alot of road kills , very few in the winter time.......durning the running season spring through summer and early fall have seen alot of coons ( mostly in the city ) , but here it is kill season, I`ve killed a total of 6 the whole season.. It seem`s that there is alot of nights that are either den trees or small / younger coon that you can`t get nothing out of so I don`t bother with shooting them......The biggest thing that Pisses me off and I see more and more of it every year, is people who kill just to kill , I had 2 really good woods that I use to hunt every year that produced lots of coon in the past , and apparently there has been others that hunt it too without permission, being during the running season I have found alot of dead coons in these woods that someone has already shot out of the trees to train there pups, and now can`t even buy a coon in these woods,....if you have good dogs you don`t need to shoot every coon you see.......just like rabbit hunting , how many times do you all go out and can`t seem to find any rabbits, alot of people I know blame the yotes and house cats, but I do blame alot of the hunters for killing everything they see when out hunting always trying to limit out when they go ...Has anybody on here been to a put and take pheasent hunt, at the end of the day all the birds are either left in the field or there`s a pile of birds in the parking lot......and hunters wonder why the animal lovers out there keep attacking our rights...............What ever happened to good hunting ethics that alot of us were brought up on ???????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:33 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

In southern illinois there are there are plenty of coon. not many coon hunters anymore. The only hard part is to find some one to hunt with

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I live in east Tx weve ben treing a good many coons this year but I hunt with a young guy that wants to kill every one we tree I told him Iwouldent hunt with him if he wanted to do that I dont care for that I want to save coons to train with and places to hunt here are few and far betwen I like to save all I can I wish everyone a happy new year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:47 pm 
IP:
all of our coons died out last year there was no mass so iam seeing hardly nothing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:45 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Say what you will but I keep all my spots low in the coon department. It keeps distemper down and everyone with a crappy dog away. I want my dogs to get deep and have a coon. It does not impress me to go 50 yards and tree. I'd rather tree 2 coon in a night where they had to go look for it and earn it then just fall over one everytime they walk in the woods. I'll shoot everyone they tree in the kill season. But only one out of each tree. But I seem to have just as many the next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Well in my area we dont have enough trappers and coon hunters to do so but i mean ive seen woods get thinned out though. The thing that stumps me is why the rat population has hit a landslide?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We kill our share, but they all get skinned and carcass is frozen for dog food. We hunt and trap for a living during the kill season. Same places every year. I agree on the disease prevention and the hounds. In my opinion, it doesn't do a dog any good to lose a track, take three steps and hit another one. Make them work for it. Two or three coons nightly is a plenty.

Only thing that really burns me is the lights we see flying around off the roads. Last night we hunted up a river about a mile and a half, only to run into a pickup with no dogs skinning coon. That was touch and go for a second, fortunately, my buddy is level headed!! Check into your disappearing coons, and I'll bet you will find more spotlights then hounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:04 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Reedblue -- I have been a Trapper for many years and in my area the muskrat population has gone from plentiful to hard to find one in about 10 years time. I have thought about why the population has dropped and the only thing I can come up with is this. What do you see more of now than ever before?? Red-tailed hawks, eagles, birds of prey basically. Now this is just my opinion, not scientific by any means but I am out in the ponds and rivers just about everyday during the Trapping season here and I see Hawks everywhere I go. Drive down the highways around here and you see a Hawk on just about every other fence post, they have to eat something!!! Our quail population has suffered because of them too. Flying possums is what I call them! LOL

Like I said before this is my opinion only --- and I have no proof to back this up other than being out there and seeing what goes on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:59 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

cch2995 come over to kokomo area and hunt with me ill show you that the coon population around central inidana is just fine we are up to around 115 this season i couldnt agree with guys more on the distemper situation you have to keep that coon population in check and the jack lighters nothing burns me more then those jack lighters around here i know for a fact that they kill 500-600 a season year after year what fun is it to shine a light see a coon sitting in a tree somewhere shoot it out to yourself no dogs all for a 5 dollar coon sounds real rewarding to me i just dont see the fun in it or the degree of dificulty just seems like something anyone can do not every dog can tree a coon just my opinion right or wrong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

[I think to many coon being killed! Seeing coon right now is darn tough.]

I agree 100%. I had killed a few last year, but not enough to make a difference. Then starting about September I didn't see any coons at all. Then a rancher that lives about a half mile from me called and said that coons had gotten into a bag of rat poison that he had in his shed. About a week later I started finding dead coons all along the creek that I hunt.
It sure made me regret killing any coons in the area! I just pray some more coons move in quick!