CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

That dog has some good blood in it, camphouse breed their dogs to get the job done. a "splash" of july could be where they get their speed from. could have a "splash" of redbone in there too? the camphouse julys look to have a touch of plott in them as well? I have had a couple of their julys and they can really do the job!
Rick

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

aardemar wrote:
That dog has some good blood in it, camphouse breed their dogs to get the job done. a "splash" of july could be where they get their speed from. could have a "splash" of redbone in there too? the camphouse julys look to have a touch of plott in them as well? I have had a couple of their julys and they can really do the job!
Rick

I'm not sure Rick if were talking the same folks, as i know there is a camphouse in mi also, kin to Don. I never knew of Don to have Julys, he was from the state of Washington, came here in the summer to hunt. Hard core hunter, with good dogs, but the last time I seen him in the woods was probably ten or more years ago, and he had all black plotts, i think we kept his line going more then him at the end. The last I heard, he quit hunting bear completely. I can ask the guys in that area, but I dont think he has been back either.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:00 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am not familiar with skittles, but will ask about her and see. I think most of them have a little july, and a little red bone in them but dont know for sure. I know I sure like the tight smaller dogs like the plotts they have. I have some camphouse running dogs and they are red like the plotts, I know they have some plott in them as well. fast dogs with a lot of grit
Rick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:10 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Don and Jim are brothers, I live up the road from Jim. I was thinking skittles was a different dog alltogether. I do know the blood is a little different between the michigan hounds and dons dogs, but not a lot. I think it is a lot harder to get the local hounds as they dont want too many people to get the blood they have. I also know Don sold some hounds around the country. I know when I have hunted with the camphouses that their dogs get it done and I have a lot of fun hunting with them. None of the fussing, fighting, your dog did this or that kind of crap.
Rick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I hunted with don and skittles back here, a few times, she was older but a legend. Everyone agreed, if there was a bear dog hall of fame, she would be there. That came from don, van johnson, my grandfather, they all hunted together here in the summers. We got a young dog out of skittels and buck. A legend also. I think grandpa gave don 10k for him at a year and a half old. worth every cent. We also owned buck in his last years. This male I have is a grandson. He is become a legend, producer. Fast, cold nose, bear catching fools for sure. They get it done everytime. My hat is off to Don for these dogs for us to enjoy. Yea, were tight with pups and where they go also. I have spoke with Jim on the phone years back, you got his number? If you could pm me, I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well,the pups hit the ground, i got ten of them, Cant wait for them to get to three months old to start fooling witht them on stuff

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I wondered what you ended up crossing your dog with? I have been running my camphouseplott/july a lot recently and she is a lot better dog with the snow off. She lacks a bit of grit and dont have the hours that my running hounds have but can keep up for 5 hours or so anyway. I have noticed her feet are quite tough and she can run more days a week than most dogs, but like I say she lacks in hours a day

Rick

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I crossed him with a trigg line of bear dogs, that is all the guy hunted. If this dont work, I wont try again, I know what my male throws, but I have good feelings it will work. I'm not sure of your cross of july, I know one thing, the camphouse plotts dont have back up in them. LOL.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

She dont have a reverse, but wont go out of her way to put teeth to a coyote. She took a nasty bite to the top of her eye last night, and may have ended up with a rupture. I will know more when she comes back from the vet in a little while
Rick

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:12 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I know a few guys that run running walker/treeing walker crosses. Some run em on yote some run em on bear.. They seem to tree game good where a straight running dog doesn't and on the yote runs they are more mouthy so you can have extra people hear the hounds and stay in the chase. the running walkers I've had are less mouthy than the cross hounds.. Their feet seem to hold up pretty good but the treeing walkers never really had foot issues here ice, crust, snowmachine trail, or powder so I can't give ant comparison on the foot issue.. Happy hunting...T