CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:23 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hi Folks,
I'm going to try a trigg, treeing walker cross, these winters, have changed, and this ice is terrible on feet, I've been thinking of a trigg cross, anyone had any?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:08 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I would like to know more about this cross you have planned.Do you have both dogs and if so what can you tell me about them are they cold nosed,what do you hunt with them as I would be interested in a pup or 2 out of such a cross and where in Wi do you live as I'm next door to you in MN thanks Steve
P.S. any pics of these dogs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hi, yes, I own the male, cat and bear with that line, and also cold nose dogs,I've hunted or owned five generations, they fit me well. I just got a trigg female, line bred for the same, so we will have to see. My male is older, bred twice, with high success, this cross should be good, sorry, i wont put pic's for theft reasons, stay in touch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:19 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

sent you a PM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:42 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

the trigg is a foxhound and foxhounds tend to have tight feet. your gunna breed nose and speed into the trigg with the treeing walker then again a trigg is basically a running walker but as u know aa treein walker and running walker arent the same. good luck :D

Tanner's Get-R-Done Eagle (yote hound)
HHH Run The Beachs of Cheyenne (yote hound)
HHH Chubs Run Em' Down (yote hound)
HHH Checkers Did It Again (yote hound)
GVH Driver (retired mounted foxhunting hound)
Tanner's Wild Raf (yote hound)
Heather's Little Sammy (beagle)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:57 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for the imput guys. Still searching, I did pick up a trigg female, which comes from a line that have hunted bear with them, and cats with them. This is an experiement as much as anything.LOL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:28 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

There's a guy out in Washington that's done that several times . Supposedly with very good results . They wanted the track speed for cat dogs . GOOD LUCK!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:31 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've heard of several triggs going west. I would guess, speed, and endurance for the mountains and rock is big. I have spoke with several folks from the trigg world. They are very helpful, in helping what I'm looking for. I also spoke with a guy in wv which uses them on bear, he really likes the half cross. I'm going to try it, see if it fits me LOL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:58 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Not to be cantankerous but I have never understood someone wanting to cross breed dogs for hunting. I feeling has always been if you needed to cross breed for better dogs you didnt have the right dog to start with. There are plenty enough breeds out there to handle any game you can think of. Just my thoughts. But to each his own. Maybe it will work for you.

Psiskjr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:40 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

crosses are some of my best hounds!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:17 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You know I have to agree, because I have a three quarter walker, quarter red plott, which is the best balanced hound I have ever hunted over or owned, he is a living legend, If he cant jump it, there isnt anyone else got nothing in the trucks that will, and I've hunted with some great cat and bear dogs,which I didn't own. I've hunted over or owned five generations of this line. I guess, you would call him a crossed up dog.

My main gripe is the walker breed is dominated by coon hunters, breeding for what they need to win trials. That works for them, I get it, but taking two steps back, in my opinion, the walker breed is really lost its nose, and feet. Us big game hunters, are really a select few, in numbers, but trying to run and also represent the walker breed in big game, we are challenged by keeping papered dogs to get the job done. There is a few lines that work for us. Folks out west breed papered dogs, for lion etc. nance breeding as an example. Harry dogs work for bear pretty good, got the grit, but no rigging that I owned. Noses were ok. Sacket seem to work for cats, but not bear. Or at least the ones I owned. As I write this, i realize maybe out list of needs is longer, then coon hunters, I'm not sure, but I'm very satisfied with what I own and run, but I know two things, these winter ice storms have been hard on any dogs feet. And you can never have enough speed and endurance in a dog. So, why not try a trigg to breed into?? If anyone has a line of walkers, that feels would fit me, please contact me, no one time wonders, but a line. LOL

If I didnt want the challenge, I would run plotts on bear like everyone else. Been there, done that. LOL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You call that potlicker of yours a legend :lol: :lol: :lol:, why he can't even jump off the tailgate let alone jump a cat :lol: :lol:, just yanking your chain buddy. I think it will be a interesting cross, if it works I'll have my hand out for sure.

HUNT,FISH,TRAP!!!!!!!! Is there anything else???

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Budd Denny wrote:
You call that potlicker of yours a legend :lol: :lol: :lol:, why he can't even jump off the tailgate let alone jump a cat :lol: :lol:, just yanking your chain buddy. I think it will be a interesting cross, if it works I'll have my hand out for sure.

Hey Budd, its my story, let me tell it the way I want to :D :D . That is why I hunt alone :lol: :lol: I know one hand will be out for his pups, better put the other on your wallet :lol: :lol: besides, you know my dogs are the sorriest dogs you ever laid your eyes on, why would you want a yard full, of tailgate dogs :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: I could probably scrape enough money together for puppy price on that dog of yours, I would even leave that as a standing offer :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have some good half running walker half blue dogs that do a fine job running. They do not make great cold trailers, but are great turn in dogs. They tend to get to the front of the race fast and can fight game extremely well. They have better feet as well. Another problem comes when you try and breed them again for their likeness, all of the pups I have ever seen end up in the scrap pile as when you cross to add to one breed you are breeding away from what the dog was originally intended for. It is better to keep the original cross if it works and start over from scratch the next time around.
That red plott, is that dog have camphouse breeding in it? if it does you probably already have a july/plott cross, kind of the same idea
Just my opinion Rick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey Rick,
Yes a splash of camphouse. skittles, would have been a great great grandmother, I never knew of any july in them, especially with their noses, if so, i need julys)))LOL