CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bear hunters in Maine???
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I was wondering if there were any bear hunters in Maine that live close to Eastport?? I actually live in Edmunds but thats a good reference point. I would like to try my male bluetick on a few bears. I believe he would do very well..

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i Live in freeport maine but i do know some people who hunt bear and do pretty well. I am training my dog on bear and coon right know.

Is your dog trained on coons?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:15 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yes, there are quite a few of us around your area. I could name 4 or 5. I live in East Machias. How old is your Bluetick and what do you hunt with it now? If you are who I think you are, your male should do very well on bears. Do you drive? Our coon club is having an event the 24th of April at Howard lake in Charlotte if you are interested. Field trials, bench show, Etc. Its usually a good time and we are trying to get the club back up and running. Membership has been way down the last few years where its been held in Brookton.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:40 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yes, I have two blueticks, and they are both trained on coon. I would like to try them both on bear and bobcat. I tried this past winter to hunt bobcat but they couldn't figure the track out. The snow was a little frozen plus the track was made the day before. I should of walked it with one to get it started but I would of gotten it started i would of just kept going. I don't have any tracking equipment so I would have to follow them by hearing or tracks. I'm hoping to get the garmen system this summer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:47 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I do drive. Treesadie, I think I might have gotten the dogs from you. They are going to be three on October 14. They are both very aggressive on a coon and have killed many conns that I have knocked out to them. If I didn't have them tied back so they could run it again. They are still getting the track down but have still managed to get coon up a tree. I'm very happy with them And love hearing them trail coon. My male is the most aggressive out of the two. As a pup he was bitten and scratched as a pup, probably about 4 or 5 months old and ever since then he has killed every coon infront of him. The female has been good from the start. She will also jump on the coon. I didn't drive far before because I didn't have a box and was afraid they would jump off the truck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:00 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The only thing is that I never registered them. I have the paperwork but I haven't sent them in yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:08 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

All of the pups out of that litter are doing very well. Yeah, the snow conditions this past winter left a lot to be desired for cat hunting, especially here along the coast. Once we did get some good snow, it got very crusty. Not good.
Like I said, we are having an event on the 24th of April in Calais. It would be a good place for you to meet some other hunters and get your dogs out. Since you didnt register them, you wouldnt be able to participate in the registered events, but you could see what its all about and have some fun too. I am sure you can still register them with UKC, but it will be more money than if you did it before they are a year old. I am glad you are happy with them. Thats all that matters. The female I kept is making a bear dog. This upcoming season should finish her out and hopefully her male littermate will come around too. He loves to run a hot bear track, but I havent given him many chances as I was concentrating on her. With the 6 dogs this year, it will be alot better. Anyway, if you wanna go to our event on the 24th, let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Where's the event at in Calais? The Rod and Gun Club?
This year this pair will be hunted more cause I will have more time. The past couple of years I played allot of sports and stuff in school so they just hunted once or twice every two weeks but that didn't stop them. The male that I have loves to strike off the box a made two weeks ago. I road them around a few weekends to get them used to it and he loved being on the box. He has struck a couple of coyotes this past winter but I didn't want him running them because it would be very hard to keep up with them in the woods and without tracking collars it would nearly impossible to tell where they were going. Anyways I might be able to make it up to the event. maybe my Uncle will come along with me. He has been working allot and hasn't gone hunting much but helped out with the live trapped raccoons I've caught.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Our club event is at Howard Lake on the Charlotte road. Signs will be out for you to follow. I would love to see those dogs of yours to see how they turned out. Your dogs mother loved to ride the rig. Thats how I hunted her most of the time. I always found that her and I could cover more ground and have more strikes since the coons were thin.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah...Last year between the two dogs they put up 6 coon. And I started in July. I do some walking with them too. I walk along the river when its low tide. I struck some coon but they weren't very long chaces cause the track was usually hot.