CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Coyote
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:23 pm 
IP:
Is there any way we could get a coyote hunting section under the Big game section here? Big game seems to mostly cover bear and lion hunting. I know there's guys out there using coonhounds on coyote. If ya'll haven't tried it yet you don't know what you're missing. I had bought my dog with the intention of coon hunting him, although he was advertised as "big game bred". A fella here introduced me to coyote hunting with hounds. What a blast! He uses mostly running Walkers, or foxhounds as they're often referred to, but my Bluetick runs pretty good with them. Here is a pic of a treeing walker we also use. Had to pull this dog off this yote (we were training in a 400 acre pen). So how bout it administration? Any way to get a coyote forum going? Or how about medium game, for coyote and bobcat? Anybody else out there like to see this happen?

Last edited by cityboy on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:30 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I would like to see a section on yotes too. I run all plotts and they are bred for coon and bear but, I use them for yotes and bear mostly and they can get the job done. Where I live there is so many people hunting coon that finding good places to hunt is hard cause everybody is woried about the darn deer so, that is why I turned to yotes and bear. Everybody wants the yotes dead and will almost bag you to hunt them. IAfter I started hunting yotes and bear I have loved every minute of it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:23 pm 
IP:
I don't see my pic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:07 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

yes !!! i would love to see a section devoted to yote hunting ... that is a great picture .....

Last edited by bob2799 on Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:07 pm 
IP:
I absolutely love that pic! I have been given the yotes the old college try with some of my tree dogs. Talk about FUN. I think running yotes is going to catch on as other hunting seems to just be getting harder and harder to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:52 pm 
IP:
Yeah - I was really surprised. I thought what we were doing was a kind of unique thing. last week i picked up a copy of The Hunters Horn in my buddy's garage. It's a mag put out by the same outfit that does Full Cry. It's not much of a read, mostly hunt results. What surprised me is that are a TON of guys running fox and coyotes with foxhounds. They are registered running Walkers. Smaller than a Treeing Walker. They have a shaggier coat and pointier noses and run about 40 lbs. They sort of yip when tracking. Boy can they run! Lotsa guys have good luck with the Coonhounds, but I don't think you can enter them in the competition hunts. Coonhounds don't run the coyote as fast, so they generally run smaller circles or just try and trick the dog. The foxhounds put so much pressure on the yote that alot of times they just get outta town. Like i said, it's great fun! Ya gotta give it a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:12 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I love giving them yotes a hard time. I would like to see a forum for coyote hounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:20 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I also along with a bunc of other guys find coyote hunting almost more fun that hunting bears. Get to shoot at coyotes more, everyone has an unlimited tag, adn we shoot a few a day, most ever was 11 one weekend. THere are some many of them around here we kill 50 a year and there is never a shortage of them. Talk about a fun way to spend a day. Its the best when we get about a foot or more of snow though. The dogs catch them and that really gets the young pups going!

REMINDER...

Go to the store and get more shells, i always seem to run out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:55 am 
IP:
you do seem to always fun out of shells lol! are you sure our record was only 11? remember the day you went in to the ditch 2 or 3 times, we got a 6 pack that day....i thought we got more than that just that one week but i could be wrong. anyways yes coyote hunting is a blast and i truely enjoy it almost as fun as bear hunting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:18 pm 
IP:
If you want to vistit a site about hunting coyotes/fox with hounds there are plenty of them out there......www.speeddogs.net, www.masterfox.net, www. foxdawgs.com.....just to name a few. I think that as many people run fox/ coyote as there are people who coon hunt. Some choose to run them in the Pens/ Encloseurs, some choose the outside. I grew up fox hunting and still have dogs I hunt regularly. I would say that 'Pen hunting' is the easiest version of coyote/fox hunting out there, all you got to do is turn them loose and let them run around on fresh game all night. I think breaking a dog to run coyote/fox on the outside is one of the toughest things to do. I have had far more dificulty breaking a running walker from running deer than a treeing walker. Also most people who break fox dogs on the outside are trying to catch the fox, which is a much harder task than running a coon up a tree. You were right that the 'hunters horn' has alot of field trial results, but dont we see that in alot of hound hunting magazines? Alot of the walkers are smaller than treeing walkers, I would say normally because they are in tougher shape, more long full speed races are required. But I have a few hounds that are 26 1/2 inches tall and alot that are 25 in tall. When you let them get a little heavy they seem to weigh the same as most treeing walkers i've seen, (not including the monsters). I never have shot anything in front of my hounds, but I know when i pull the trigger the race is over, all of mine are gunshy as I use ratshot to break them from running deer. It would be neat to see a section on here for 'meduim game' but just wanted to let ya know there are some sites for Fox/Coyote enthusiast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:08 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i would love to see that happen. i love runnin these blue dogs on them yotes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i know some of you guys are already on my site, but for the others i`ll post it down below. lck, i`d love for you to stop by and share some of your stories.
this site also covers coon,cat bears and more.

Last edited by kc on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We run yotes with foxhounds and sight hounds (greyhounds) alot of fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:38 pm 
IP:
i would also love to see a yote section. i have five running walkers and just got a new lurcher pup that i can't wait till she is big enough to start running.

Post subject: Re: Coyote
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i would love to see one. we could all talk about our hunts. i hunt with buddies that have 5 running walkers and 8(not bad for 1st litter eh?) new pups born a couple days ago.