CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bobcat and yote dogs???
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:25 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

New to sport looking for a pup to train on Bobs and yotes. I was thinking a Redbone maybe. Any thoughts? Also how do you start to train a pup?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:23 am 
IP:
i can't tell ya nothing about the cats...

now yote... i really wouldn't run a red bone on them, now some people do, but i go by speed...i would run a july on them. *some poeple like walkers* far as training..its all on the dog, start him off in a pen, once every 2 weeks, then run him out of the pen, all of the other days, brake him off trash, and that will take some time, try and find a hot yote track, when running yotes its best 2 run with at least 3 dogs, cause they might run into a pack, and you need some dogs to kill em...at 1st your dogs won't run as long, then they will slowly work there way into more time..but the main thing is gettin them with a older dog, and hunting time. once they get a GOOD fight, they will hate it and run them, but don't run them with a older dog 2 much, just everynow and then...that way they learn to do it on there own..good luck, god bless, and safe hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll be back for more pointers from all of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ted,

The dog is up to you!! In some areas differnt types of dogs are used more than others. What I mean by that is sight vs scent. In some areas guys will deploy sight hounds after the get one jumped or if they get lucky to see one in a field. Mostly they are used in areas that are more flat and open. Scent hounds are better suited to more rough terrian which sounds like what you will be dealing with more. Not many bobs in those flatland states.

I run bear, cats, yotes and occasionally a coon. I hunt plotts and plotts only. In the group I hunt with there are mostly redbones. In fact of the 11 owned by them 8 are reds 1 BT 1 english and 1 walker. The reds do a great job. The bt was the fastest in the group before my plotts. Now the plotts blow the doors off. So basically the dog choice is up to your prefrence.

As for training it's going to be the same as any other hound game. Just a differnt animal. Training for cats will be the hardest if they are not plentiful in your area. Once you have down all that obedience, drag, and cage work. Run with an older dog a few times. Then start to run the dog alone. When it comes to cats if you dont have an older dog to run with walk the pup down the track. Hopeully you will jump it giving the pup a snoot full of hot scent making it crazy. Turn it loose and see what happens. then do it again. A good cat dog is the hardest thing to find. So don't get discouraged.

Don't worry about working the pup on a caged yote or cat. Coon will work fine, as it is only to get the pup game crazy, trailing, and treeing. My 10month pup was started this way and has now taken over the lead dog spot in the pack running yotes. Yotes are a lot easier to run then most game. So once that pup is ready to hunt, like bablin said find a hot track and run it.

We have almost as many yotes as deer in these parts. The only time I have had a pack get squirly has been when I was tracking a wounded deer. Have had a few come into the dogs running a bear. That usally will end up in a coyote chase. Even seen that with a pair of wolves once. Otherwise when running them even if they are packed up unless it's mating season will split real quick. When it's mating season the males seem to pick up the rear to protect the female. Will even stop and false charge the dogs. The usally do not want to fight the dogs even if solo. Even my 40lb gyp scares the hell out of them. If I am just looking to train a young dog I start them alone. Later on I will pack in other dogs to it. If you get to many dogs in there the will run much bigger circles, and at times head for the next state. With just 1 they will make small circles trying to trick the dog. Giving you a better shot oppurtunity. Although when training young dogs I often elect not to shoot, and just let them run for awhile. Heck, sometimes the yote won't let you make that choice staying far away from you no matter what you do.

Hope this helps you a little.

Good hunting,

Steve

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:01 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

where i live and the type of terrain that i don`t have the need for a speed hound. here`s a couple of pictures of my redbones.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:30 pm 
IP:
Great pics KC! Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Great pics for sure!