CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I currently do not have a hound, i have 2 lazy couch potato mutts, But i am very interested in buying/training my own hound. I live in Wyoming and i was gonna train him/her to be a lion/bear hound with a few other hounds i know of. He has 2 blueticks and a redbone. Every opinion would be greatly appreciated. And also, if anybody hears about any hounds for sale in Wyoming, please let me know. Thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Without a dought in my opinion a plott is what i would hunt if i were going to hunt bear i dont know much about lion my buddy is a hog hunter and his dogs come from bear stock and they are hunting some on lion to with great results.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:47 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Myers Bred Walkers out of California are some of the best for dry ground trailing. They are really fast on track and nice hard tree dogs. So far I have not hunted with one yet that back tracked, seems to be a real nice line of dogs from the ones I have hunted with.

Home Of World Champion OMCBA Gr.Sq.Ch. Culbertson's Wild Rose
Nt.Ch. Tree Time Galloway's Burley
Sq.Ch. Fowler Creek Stacy
W.Tr.Ch. Tree Time Maggie

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Plotts and walkers are some of the best.A guy i hunt with hunts 3/4 plott 1/4 walker and theyll run a bear like crazy.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:24 pm 
IP:
Walkers for me. I may know where there are some for sale, depending on what you're looking for. I'm not big on the plotts but there are some good ones for sure. Whatever you do buy dogs that are well bred from HUNTERS not from internet puppy mills. Or buy the dog under the tree. There are good dogs of every breed just get one that does what you like.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:01 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I use to have a waiting list from guys in Utah and Navada wanting my Little Joe bred english dogs for Lion.

Dennis "Marty" West
westshounds@yahoo.com
Yahoo msgr:westshounds

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have had them all from curs to plotts and I have not yet found a dog I like better than a cameron bluetick for bear and lion and also bobcat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:37 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

There are lots of good hounds out there that will run and catch lions and bears, and I have all colors in my back yard. In my opinion, a guy should get a breed or color he likes and from dogs that have made pretty good lion and bear hounds.

ike

Last edited by Ike on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:29 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Dawghouse you said you are going to train them yourself and truthfully more will hinge on the job YOU do than the differences between any breeds. I am not at all putting you down either. What you want to do can be very rewarding. But I will say more bad hounds are caused by how how they are handled than by genetics. By the way I favor the old style blue dogs!!
Best of luck to you!!

Mel

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Get yourself a Cameron Bluetick, cant go wrong

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have owned just about every kind of dog you can and I like the ones that get the job done. I keep hearing about these Cameron blue ticks and I would like to try one. Does anyone know somebody that has some good Cameron dogs in Florida or South Georgia? We mostly hog and deer hunt. I like a dog that has at least a 10 hr nose and will bark every breath. I also like to hunt a dog that can hunt everyday some dogs just have it. I have at times had over 50 dogs at one time. Now I try to keep it between 12 – 20. In the winter I will run 4 out of 7 days every week and take 3, 3 week trips of running everyday. That is why I keep so many dogs to rotate them and allow some rest. But you always carry your best trail dog just in case. My best dogs have always been a Walker crossed with something. (Blue tick, beagle, Plot, Redbone, Black n Tan and even Bloodhound but they were slower). The walker’s have the hunt and crossing them seems to give them a better nose and some sense. One of my best Deer/Hog dogs now looks just like a walker but has beagle in her and she will run every bear in the woods very fast and will trail anything the moved the night before. if you see a hog or deer cross the road on your way out of the woods you can put on that track the next day at noon and she will jump and run that deer or hog. i have found over the years if they dont have the nose you are just jummping blind hoping for good luck but a dog with a nose gives you the chance to pick the game you want to chase. in my opinion you need at least a 8-10 hr nose. So make sure of 2 thing when you get a dog. 1 the seller actually hunts and their dogs do what you want and 2. they cull their junk dogs that dont work out and dont sell them to people that dont know any better.

I have heard how dogs are breed and should make good dogs a million times. but I beleive you are ahead of the game by spending a little extra money and buying a started or finished dog from someone you trust and has dogs you like.

I am sure there are lots of ways to dog hunt that is just the way we do it where i hunt. good luck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

there was a guy that had cameron bred blueticks in florida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

12-GAUGE on biggamehoundsmen.com has some in florida. Well they are part Cameron and part his own. He made his own cross breed, they are damn good looking dogs though. Might want to try him out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks BuckNAze.

Ithink alot of the problem with the hounds today is the fox/coyote hunting has created a dog that covers alot of ground looking for a fresh track. They are great for competition hunting but when hunting in the big woods they don’t want to slow down and trail and that has become the standard most of the dogs in my area are out of. It is hard to find someone that breeds for nose anymore.

Ps i love fox hunting also i just use a different dog when i am fox hunting. using the same dog for all types of hunting did not work for me.