CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: bear/hog bay in East TN?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:55 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

where and when is their som hog orr bear bays in East TN?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

No such luck pal. There hasn't been a live bear bay here in years and they outlawed the hog bays acouple years back.... well.. sorta.. you can have a hog bay as long as the hogs have 20 acres to run in. That would be fine with me. I just can't find anyone that has a 20 acre encloser that would hold a hog. That's the laws on it anyway. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:54 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I might be wrong, but i think they already changed that too, (20acres) i talked to a friend of mine that runs a hunting preserve here in e tn. and they was telling me that they changed it last year, you have to have at least 1,000 acres to get a hunting preserve liscense/permit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I thought about this after I read it and got to thinking. What's the difference in an Australian Shepard, Heeler or Black Mouth Cur working cattle? I mean a hog is considered feral if it's running loose in this state...Correct? If I catch a "feral" hog in my field and take it home to be fatten up and slaughter what are they called. And if I need them moved around from one pen to the other you mean I cannot use the aid of dogs to do such? I don't see the justification on this. I used to hunt some old abandoned farms in Hawkins county where the people had moved off and left all their livestock. We had permission from the new land owners to kill every "feral" chicken that roamed the woods.. and we did. On more than one occation the rabbit sherrif stopped us and checked bags and laughed at the dead chickens. No problem. At another place goats were done the same way and they were as wild as deer and we hunted them the same. The game wardens told us to do as we wished and we did. We caught them in snares and raised them, we shot them with everything imaginable because they would move in and clear cut everything within their reach. We never did kill them all off and finally they moved on to parts unknown. Bird dog owners can train their dogs with pen raised quail, pheasents, and piegons. There is no "training" season on rabbit or squirrel dog owners. Coon hunters must follow guide lines but, yet again they have the nights all to them selves 365 days a year provided they have private land. But, hogs. The states sets the regulations because in some areas they still control them with seasons and therefore there is revenue coming from them and that's what it's all about.......... isn't it? Look at your guide book... You can kill them year around with any weapon legal to hunt big game. Any game warden will tell you to kill them all. BUT, there is only a select few days that we dog hunters can run them and absolutely NO training for them. We are the out casts in the hunting world and sadly I believe that as far as the state legislature sees it it's because we most likely bring in the least amount of revenue (right there with trappers )for them and it's a "high profile" type of hunting. I hate saying it but, I don't think my son's or daughter will be hunting big game with dogs when they are my age.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:50 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

there is hog bays in tennessee but u need to know someone they r underground

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah, so are chicken fights but, we don't talk about it. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

my thoughts exactly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I no wher thers plenty a bear at. Cause my uncle shot a 550lb bear ther last year! If u no wher cleveland tn is u come towards nc n come up the river gorge when u get 2 the whitewater center ur ther.