CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well decided to try coon hunting tonight, load the dogs in the explorer and the windshield wipers are frozen down, go to break them loose and the wiper blade rips off of the passenger wiper and the wiper arm busts in half on the drivers side. o well not the end of the world, the vehicle is for coon huntin only. head to town to get gas and on the way there the odometer and speedometer quit, no big deal, i dont care how many miles are on the POS and the only speed limit that clunker is even capable of breaking is in town. get out to my hunting spot and pull over on the side of the road to park as all the field approaches are covered in snow, well i pull over to far and the flat smooth surface that i think is the shoulder is actually ice, ice that is on top of water, and my outside two tires break through. call my buddy to come give me a pull and he's at work, thats fine i'll just hunt till he gets here. start getting geared up and realize i forgot my snowshoes and beings i'm stuck i can't go get them, will just have to rough it without them i guess. i can hunt both sides of the road for about 1/2 mile each way. cast to the west first, well dogs didn't like going west so back east it is, and they decide that since we can hunt for 1/2 mile that they should go damn near to the line before being treed. finally make my way there and when i get about thirty feet from the tree i find out the snow i'm walking on is covering more ice and water, and by this time i've broken through and standing in knee deep water, jump out and run for higher ground where their treed. den tree, things aren't looking to good for tonight, leash them up and realize i'm surrounded by ice and water so back out the way i came to get my feet wet, again. walk all the way back to the road and this is when i should have quit but against my better judgement i casted them to the west. this time we go about 3/4 miles before being treed, on the other side of the open crik that i can't cross. i can see the dogs from the side i'm on so i shine the tree their on and i see two pairs of eyes, eyes attached to coons i cant get to to shoot. so i call my dogs back to me and make the long walk back to the truck and accept defeat for the night. can't win em all i guess. have to love the sport to put up with nights like this.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I know what you mean. Some nights it makes you wonder if it is really worth it, but the next evening you can't wait to turn the hounds loose again.

Home of

GRNITECH D&D NIGHTIME YADKIN R DEE DEE
BEANS HARDWOOD JAZZ
CH RED EAGLE ROCKO
DAWSON'S HAMMERIN TUFF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I think every time i go, i ask why i put myself through this, but i still go as well..

Tennessee Slick

Pr Mountain Top Thunder