CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Tonight i feel wore out and a feeling of relief

So im still in high school i felt like i needed to run my 2 year old gyp tonight since she in a makin of a good hound. i told my momma i said ill be back at 8:30 im gonna go make one tree ill be back soon so i left around 7:00 hooked my dog up started walking down the road smellin the water since the rain hit western kentucky pretty hard a couple days ago the waters been up and didnt think nothing of it. i started walkin down the road all of a sudden i seen blood on the dogs foot looked down and her ear was bleedin again from where a coon bit her the other night i started checkin her out when all of a sudden she flipped her head up and started bawling and howlin i said awe man here we go so i lead her down into the flooded wheat field not thinking anything of it she led me to the field which has a creek that runs through it that comes out of the largest lake in my county i lead her out she starts pulling towards the woods i stop un click her lead and let her go i sat in the field watching the night sky and killing time as soon as i heard her tree i knew i had to go my wheat light was getting dim so i knew there was no way i could get through the woods with a dim light so i called me dad up to bring me my cajun light that doesnt have a long battery life but is very bright so my dad showed up and was williing to help me by the way my dad has never been coon hunting in his entire life so we decided to head out i hooked up my light and started makin our way through the briars and muck.

we both were stumblin our way through the woods and finally got down to the creek i looked up and seen it was flooded out and the current was up and could wash anybody away my dad was out there in sweats and a hooded sweatshirt i had my bibs on and two lights on my belt he had a spot light we seen my dog across the creek and seen where she crossed across a down tree but was too skinny for a man to cross over plus very dangerous we tried everyway to get across with cussin an spittin we couldnt get her no way we tried so we made our way back to the truck and drove up the highway and he pulled over i jumped out ran about a half mile through a flooded corn field to where i heard the dogs bell (thats my high tech tracking collar) she was treed i knew she was so i caleld him i said im almsot too her ill talk to ya in a minute. i made my way through the briar filled woodline so i feel down on to her there was old cars and trucks and trash down there under water from the flood my dog tiny was down there head stuck in a metal box of some sort i slipt down there to her grabbed her by her collar yanked her out and she jerked the lead outta my hand i grabbed her tail and yanked her back and looked at what she was doin inside the metal trash box there was a coon down inside there i could see all six rings on the tail she had him pinned back there i was tired so was my dad we both were wet and wore out he was back at the truck while i was down there so i petted her down real good and left the coon i walked her back through the field to the truck.

after tonight i know now i hate swamps winds and floods are not a good night to hunt i mostly hunt hills and hollers so for now im sticking with them not going to hunt by myself much anymore and everybody learns valuable lessons. but i know im sleepin well tonight that i know i still have my good coonhound and myself did not get swept away in the muck and flooded creek.

"PR" Rozies Tiny Dancer

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:36 am 
IP:
TinyDancer2164,

Good story well written and told!

Jack the Knife
Sandymay & Dukedog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you Jacktheknife it was my first good story i had something to write about it sure was a wild night its been a while so i decided to get on a write about it

Tinydancer,http://www.youtube.com/user/kybower2164?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/FvaDjYksNOQ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:40 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

great story ... but ull soon find out sumtimes you just have to hunt the swamp lol when ur walkin along and that dog lets out that long deep bawl and those chills go down ur spine you can help lettin em off there lead .....trust me i say im never huntin a swamp ever again every time i get out of one lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thank you and yea im the same way im just not huntin when theres floods and high winds yea i like huntin swamps when its hot its easier on the dogs but i love hearin them frogs holler and the dogs bawl at night so yea ill go back even though i say i aint its jsut im waitin on high water this time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Wow good story my friend, and Im very greatful to hear you ,dad and the hound are ok,man dont do that, and never ever hunt by your self ,life is to short my friend, one thing I have to ask is hows the feet and the ears ,and what ever happened to make the hound cross like that hmm makes me wonder as well,good story please be careful from now on , it could have cost you your life..