CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: First Comp Hunt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I put my almost two yr old Blue dog in Our first comp coon hunt. With mixed results but Definently learned a lot!
Started out with three dogs in our cast. a Male walker and a Female english. Cast off, and Argos goes in about 50 yards, piddles around and comes back out! Im thinking WTH, not Now! He goes to the other side of the road and starts running back and forth behind us on the road. Nose straight up in the air. After a Few minutes of this the other two guys look at me and the only thing i could say is "maybe he dont wanna hunt tonight?!" We all had to laugh at this. Just then he hits the creek, strikes a trail and is treed within minutes. And my boy is Just a Singing! Im nothing but smiles at this point. We wait the five minutes and go look at my boys coon. 175+ points. Alright we're in the lead. Their dogs treed but no coon. Drop out the second time and starts off the same way... a lil fooling around and he darts off in a dead run. Strikes and is once again Treed in minutes. This time there is no coon and we're back down to -25 and we're out of hunt time...
Didn't win, but i feel like we didn't loose either. :D

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: First Comp Hunt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:11 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

if your dog treed a coon it was a great night, thats the only reason i hunt is to see them eyes lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:48 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

yep congrats

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:29 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I had my first comp. hunt last friday night. 2 walkers and a bluetick. 1 Gr'Nitech and 2 nitech. Of course, just my luck. Well we made the first drop and called my dog struck 2nd. He treed with the bluetick on a split tree. Well the blue dog left and he just couldnt handle the pressure and went to the other tree... So -125 right there. The gr'nitech was a real independent dog, so of course he left the tree... Ran a mile and treed. Then a coyote ran by and the dog ran it for, no lie, 3.1 miles, so the cast took a time out. He wasnt back in an hour so he was scratched, and the blue dogs owner withdrew his dog. So just me(mr.newby) And a Nite'ch. We made our 2nd drop, and rock ran with the other dog, turned, ran across the road and struck! Oh, by the way.. the other dog was -25... He treed first to! So we went up and we didnt see the coon! It was a bigh leafy oak so i told my dog good job and i came out of it with a good mindset! Sorry that was so long guys.