CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:30 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

hows it goin everyone?. my name is nick brlan i live in northern ohio i have a english/walker cross hes a year old and i got woke up this mornin to my pup just goin crazy normally hes pretty good on his box so i go out to em and hes up under his house bawlin his heart out i look up under his house and there was a big ol boar COON under it i flipped his box and the fight was on ... evenually he killed it it was crazy i dont no how this happend just wonderin if this has happend to any one else? be safe and happy hunting!!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:49 am 
IP:
fordcountry02,

Nope, I have never had a hound bay a coon right under his own dog house. That is a first. What could that coon have been thinking?
Maybe eating dog food and didn't expect the dog to be there, or if he knew the dog was there, wasn't expecting the dog to wake up, sort of a stealth, dog food eating coon. After all, the coon thought, he could always get under the dog house if things got out of hand. I'll bet the old coon was surprised when you flipped the dog house over. That was a new one for the coon but it was a lesson learned too late.

Good story...

Jack the Knife
Sandy may and Duke dog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

It's pretty normal for me to wake up to my dogs raising cane, but I can't say it's ever been because they've bayed a coon :shock: . Hahaha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My brother inlaw's red bone killed a coon that got to close to her box. He said he went out one morning and there laid a coon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:25 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

thanks fer all the replies guys ya its was a pretty crazy experience to say the least i mean i no he was more than likely sleepin and smelled that ol coon it kinda reminded me of fox and the hound where chief was sleepin and todd the fox was messin wit em lol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My uncle has a walker female and her box is right under this big oak that sits off to the side of his barn lot. At least once a week, in the fall and winter, He comes to feed the cows and she has a coon treed in that tree. I think they are trying to get to the barn and when she comes out of her box they jump up in the tree. It's made her really tree happy when you actually take her hunting. She slick trees a lot, and she didnt before. Never heard of one under the dog box though... Must have really surprised that old coon when your dog stuck his head out of the box.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engines

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:00 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

d barret ya thats crazy my pup aint gone to slick treeing an i hope never does lol i think they like the feed in my opinion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:18 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

That's the best story iv heard in a while. My wife did call me at work about 45 minutes ago and said I let your dog out to pee and she treed a coon what should I do?? I said hell shoot it out to her. She did refuse however. The dog was in the house cause she just welped a litter and its to cold fer em outside. Treed right in the edge of the driveway. Old coon must have been in the trash.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ha! Good story... Got one similar but not under the dog house! Thats crazy!!! I got up a couple a weeks ago and the hubby's dogs were raising hell, which is kinda odd.. They are usually pretty quiet in the yard. Their pin is fenced around a tree so i figured there was a squirrel up in it or something that had them all worked up? Watched them all morning. There was only one dog in the pin actually right around the tree, the gate was closed and the other pups could only get so close... But they all raised hell all morning! Hubby came in for lunch and they gave it a break i guess because they heard his truck pull up and didnt want to get in trouble. I made the comment to him did he go see what they were raising hell about and he said i dont hear them, so i guess he thought i was making it up!!!! So, he goes back to work and the young female goes back to treeing. The two young males could only tree up the fence cuz thats as close as they could get. Then, one of his hunting buddies just happen to come by wanting to show his dad my hubby's dogs so i tell him to go on back there, that they been raising hell all morning! He does, and looks up in the tree and sure as hell.. The meat was there. He said "Mam' did u know there is a coon in that tree" i said nope but thought there had to be something in it. Woulda never thought it would of been a coon!!! Hubby came in from work and knocked it out and them young dogs had a blast with it. Felt kinda bad after that cuz i had hollared out the door a few times telling them to hush it up and all along they had the coon! :)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:24 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

good stories yall :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Years ago me and the wife was asleep in bed and got woke up by a coon and my blue heeler in a fight right outside our bedroom window. I had a good walker dog tied out back about 75 yards from the house. I hauled butt out back and cut ol Highway loose. He made a b line right for them. Problem was he ran right pass them, Checked the truck tail gate, It was shut, Then went next door to a patch of woods and started hunting. Blue heeler and coon now on the back pattio still going at it. I hauled butt next door, Forgot to say I was Bare footed, Hollering for Highway. Finally got him to come,got em by the collar, took him around back too cut him loose on the coon. Darn blue heeler already killed the coon. So I let him loose and have a chew on the coon while I went and got some boots on. Took him back out and chained him up. Thats the way it went that night.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

If heelers would only tree thay would beat all other dogs. Mine chases coon and bobcat but wont tree.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:42 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i had a bluetick/walker hound that was my first hound. i trained him from a lil puppy and he showed every mistake i made in his training. i finally made ole bubba jake my house dog and retired him from "hunting". after yrs of him being my companion dog i was brought out of a dead sleep at 5am by what sounded like a dog fight in the bathroom. i jumped up yelling hey hey thinking it was a 2 dog fight even though i only had jake in the house. to my surprise jake had a big ole coon in the bathroom. i was yelling so loud when i came around the corner,both jake and the coon stopped and looked at me. i said come mere jake, he came and i shut the door. i had my wife take my son and go sit in the truck. i got the 22 and slowly cracked the door and popped the coon in the head. as he started the curly shuffle. jake blew the door open and grabbed the coon. he shook the heck out of it. in doing so he slung blood all over the walls,ceiling and all over a load of white clothes ready for the wash. the coon had gotten into the attic and then fell through the ceiling tiles into the kitchen,jake had him in the bathroom and thats when i woke up. true story.
at the time i had a old mail jeep i was hunting out of. the driver sat on the right side in the cab. i use to laugh at the looks i got with ole jake sitting in the seat where the driver normally was.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Had a blue heeler named Buffy[ wife and kids named her] darn good stock dog on any stock. Had a coon in acage 4x5 and 5 tall with 2 ft walk in door. I was trying to get that coon in a bucket with a piece of wood over the top and go let it out on a young walker I had. Had been working the pup on it in the cage a little. I finally got it in the bucket and got about 20 yards away when the coon came out. Shoot I thought that coon was gone,about that time ol Buffy grabbed that coon on the belly and coon balled up around her head. The fight was on. I tried kicking it off with no luck so I just grabbed Buffy and picked her and the coon, still on her head, up and threw her and the coon back in the cage. Got her by the collar and finally kicked the coon off. Boys she really hated them coons.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:44 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have a friend that has a litter of heeler/redbone pups. Wonder how they would turn out. He is giving them away in KY.