CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Biggest coon ever
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:54 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

My biggest two ever for South Carolina was a long time ago, about this time of year. The corn was muttoning. It was probably out of season but my cousin wanted coons killed. My young buddy and me each had a dog. We had some good cornfield races and some that the dogs just treed on the edge. By the time we got to the end of the field we had six in the old proverbial crockus sack and it was getting heavy but we could drive the car around to that point. A little creek and culvert was not far ahead so we pointed the dogs in it. They got on a decent track that went up the creek about a hundred yards, then one dog went right and one went left and made a loop coming back at us. The dogs got back together in the creek close enough we could see them good with two cell flashlights. Then up the creek they went again on a running track. In short order they were about out of hearing and we decided to get the car and go around after them. We had to cut into another farmer's lane so we ran in and told him what we were doing. We knew him good. We had both picked watermellons for him. Anyway, the dogs were treed not far behind his house in what we call a Gum Pond. Might be knee deep in winter but was dry then. The little gum sapplings were hardly 6 inches in diameter. Another first for us was that the dogs were split treed about 200 feet apart. Both had coons. We stopped back by that farmer's and asked if he wanted to give us some money for them. He got his wife to bring out the bathroom scales and we'd hold one and then subtract our weight. One coon weighed 32 pounds and the other weighed 28. Altogether he got over a hundred pounds of coons for $5. LOL The trick was, we found out, those two coons had been using the cat hole cut in the door of my cousin's farrowing house feed room.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:10 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

lol,that sounds like my cousin that went and cut down a christmas tree on dr.hoppes land,then he went and sold it to him lol.i dont know the biggest coon ive ever got.i remember i knocked a biggin out and my 3 cur dogs couldnt finnish him off,so i had to.i would guess that one weighed in the 20s.the big coons around here usually go bout 15 lbs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:23 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
lol,that sounds like my cousin that went and cut down a christmas tree on dr.hoppes land,then he went and sold it to him lol.i dont know the biggest coon ive ever got.i remember i knocked a biggin out and my 3 cur dogs couldnt finnish him off,so i had to.i would guess that one weighed in the 20s.the big coons around here usually go bout 15 lbs.

We could ride our bicycles around the village and get enough jumpdogs together to take some short drives on family land. A white pootal came along and did fine really he did. I liked short drives with rip dogs and that is probably what turned me off on sitting up in a tree waiting and waiting. Us boys could make a couple drives an hour while the Big Drives would take all dangum morning for 15 minutes worth of action. Anyway, we never worried about the dogs doing it the way we did it. They always got home by sunrize. BUTT, Aunt Lewcille's pootal was just out for a Potty Break when he rant off with us. By the time we got done skinning deer she already had a $5 reward out for him, all distraught. Dang if her nephew didn't go catch the dog in her yard headed home and charge her the $5. Boys will be boys I recon and some are just plain smarter than others and some are just plain crookider.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:03 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

lolllll thats funny.poor lucille like to have had a heart attack worrying bout her poodle,thank the lord for her honest nephew for finding then returning her poddle just for the love offering of 5 dollars. would that poodle run them deer with the other dogs?i figured there as fast as a beagle.fist deer i ever got a stray begale ran a buck right past me.me and my buddies tried our hardest to catch that dog,but everytime we got close to him he would run oft,so we never caught that poor looking dog.i aint got the patients to hunt deer no more,they want let you use dogs,so if i cant hunt with a dog i aint hunting.these deer hunters raise cain with me for coon hunting during deer season,they say dogs will run their deer off,i tell them my dogs dont run deer and besides i was hunting hear before yall was born.lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:26 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
lolllll thats funny.poor lucille like to have had a heart attack worrying bout her poodle,thank the lord for her honest nephew for finding then returning her poddle just for the love offering of 5 dollars. would that poodle run them deer with the other dogs?i figured there as fast as a beagle.fist deer i ever got a stray begale ran a buck right past me.me and my buddies tried our hardest to catch that dog,but everytime we got close to him he would run oft,so we never caught that poor looking dog.i aint got the patients to hunt deer no more,they want let you use dogs,so if i cant hunt with a dog i aint hunting.these deer hunters raise cain with me for coon hunting during deer season,they say dogs will run their deer off,i tell them my dogs dont run deer and besides i was hunting hear before yall was born.lol

THAT'S HOW COME NORTH CAROLINA IS SO FUULL OF DEER. Cause a Tenneassee deer hears a dog bark some where and he has got to migrate and bee gone. De same wit SC deer. dey got to haul as too but where are they going???? Lets place a add in a deere hunter wildestedest imagination comicbook magazine that say they all headed to NC ??? Then maybe those rich Floridah Boys would leave us alone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:19 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

lollllllll i wished they go to north carliona to hunt or somewheres away from here.for what ever reason i aint seen a deer on the mountain in over a year and just a couple of tracks,but i have seen a few on the side and down in the valley.i think them deer got smart and left the top where they was getting shot at,and went to safer grounds down here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:07 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
lollllllll i wished they go to north carliona to hunt or somewheres away from here.for what ever reason i aint seen a deer on the mountain in over a year and just a couple of tracks,but i have seen a few on the side and down in the valley.i think them deer got smart and left the top where they was getting shot at,and went to safer grounds down here.

Truthfully, the biggest Bucks lay up closests to the dogpens so that they get a good warning from the dogs if somebody is coming around. But I have opened a can of worms with the "wilderness" cartoon magazine reading deer hunters with that one I bet" Ha ha . You got any "wilderness" around you??? I don't. We got plenty of planted pine rented for "wilderness" though; LMAO...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:34 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i never knew that about bucks doing that.i know the biggest bucks ive seen are close to houses,theres a buck behind my house that has so many points i cant count them quick enough.i want never bother him cause i dont like to deer hunt,and besides they got to many silly rules when you can and cant kill deers here.we dont have much pines here,but we got i dont know how many thousand acres of hardwoods,and when you get lost by ned your lost.lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:42 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

You really get lost or just kind of turned around for awhile?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:21 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

well i reckon you would call it turned around, so ive have been turned around for 3 or 4 hours before and turned around for a hour or so more times then i can remember. got caught in the fog one night and was turned around till daybreak,then that time i got caught in a tornado and it nearly turned me around lol. iam proud to admit that i was scared that night and so was my dogs,blame redoaks falling all round me and rain so hard i couldnt see 30 feet in front of me,i reckon you can say i was lost that time.lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:20 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
well i reckon you would call it turned around, so ive have been turned around for 3 or 4 hours before and turned around for a hour or so more times then i can remember. got caught in the fog one night and was turned around till daybreak,then that time i got caught in a tornado and it nearly turned me around lol. iam proud to admit that i was scared that night and so was my dogs,blame redoaks falling all round me and rain so hard i couldnt see 30 feet in front of me,i reckon you can say i was lost that time.lol

Skeets you know I ain't there no more.But I bin hanging out here writing my long meanderings. Just so, I sometimes hang out ar SC Out Door news. It is more or less boring because the site has been took over by dear Hunters that patrol the thing . LOL Anyway i started a thread over hyar about Strange encountes . And Low and behold they are ready to have me committed which is getting about fine by be and my compliments to the shereiff for dees fine green eggs and grits. anyway te long short story I wrote about frost on the ground and fog in the air con vinced the pack of Choirboys that I was a loonytick.LOl they just don't have a clue how to handle me yet. I ain't that bad in my opinion, What you gona do when you pike fishin down hyar in the swamp and get attacked by yellowflies and choirboys at the same lick? You stand your ground and explain or wrap your line and hauL it cause the trench Coat maffia boys have claimed the Dear rights to HUNTING as their own?? What cause most of the Gufaw was when I said I was turned around in the fog under a powerline cause I couldn't see the line in the high fog. Then I fessed up that when I figured out I was going the wrong way It seemed by brain turned half way around in my head and made me stumble till it got straightened back out. THESE DEAR boys must ain't ever bin out after dark is all I can recon , They all jumped on board the Choir Train and said , " look hyar; , He admitted to his brain turning around in his head" .They so dang smart they ought to a bin holding the hearings at the Salems witches brew convention. LOL I sho do wish my SC Dear Hunters would get out sometime at night to find out what is going on in the world. Most of the lnfo/news they gits is from Mossy Oaks cartoon magazines LOL which they dwel on every word like it was some kind of a bible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:17 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

lol deer hunters here only get out in the woods maybe a couple times a year and i reckon that makes them a regular daniel boons to hear them tell it lol. my buddy let a big time deer hunter hunt on his property, my coon hunting buddy took him out in the woods and showed him were hes been seeing deer and as he was talking to him he looked around and saw the deer hunter was on his knees,my buddy said the deer hunter had found a deer track and was feeling of it with his fingers.my buddy asked me why was he feeling of a deer track,i told him i have no clue as to why lol.alot of deer hunters stop by the house and want to know if iam seeing any deer and where,i told them the best way to get a deer in the mountains is to stay in the woods all you can and youll find where there at.there was a big deer i had been seeing a deer nearly every time i went to my dog when she treed,sometime i would walk right up on top of him,and this is the truth one night that deer followed me nearly all the way to the tree,the blame thing was a pet or something.i told a deer hunting buddy about it and i dont think he believed me but i told him where ive been seeing that deer.a month later he stopped by and told me he got that deer and he showed me a picture of him and that deer in a mag.lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:58 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

LOL Back when tree sitting was just catching on here, Before that it was all dog drives. Anyway a fellow had a big piece of land and he caught a fawn and raised it in his back yard. It got agravating when it grew up and his wife made him put a cowbell on it before they turned it loose so that maybe a hunter wouldn't shoot it. Anyway he decided to try out still hunting behind his house. There is a time of year when bucks hang together. He was sitting and sure enough Sonny Boy had come across his trail and was following him. He could hear the bell coming. He had 3 bucks with him. He said he got more bucks that season than ever. Sonny Boy got run over before the next season.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:11 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

lol poor sonny boy.there was a old moonshiner that i knew lived out on the mountain,he had him a little fawn and that thing would follow me everywhere everytime i went to that old guys house.one day me and some buddies went to his house to squirrel hunt,as we were walking in the woods that little deer came up and started following us,one the guys said ive seen everyting now.that deer stayed right with us,in fact he was makeing so much racket hopping and skipping thru the woods that he was scareing the squirrels off lol.i went back up to the old guys house a little later and i asked him wheres your deer,he told me that somebody had done murderd his deer,i said who murdered your deer he said i dont know but i think it was a deer hunter.i told him i hate that,he said i bet somebody got my cowbell i had on him to.i went back a little later and he said i found my deer,i said you did,where you find him at,he said i found him dead in my outhouse,he got in there and couldnt get out lol.the guy had several outhouses and i reckon the deer went in the one that wasnt in use much lol. true story.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:44 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

There was one country store about a half mile when I was growing up. It had a loafers bench out front and a real outhouse out back. The owner went to do his business and when he came around the corner there were two kids about 10 and 12 years old on the bench. The owner patted his bibb overalls and his back pocket and said out loud to himself, "I hope I didn't drop my as billfold". He went back out to see if they had taken the bait and sure enough, the bigger kid had the little kid by the ankles down in the seat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next