CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My Story~
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:21 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

This is my story that I submitted to John Wicks.. it was selected to be in his new book... thought I would give you all a sneak peak!! I found out last week that it was going to be published!!! Yipppeee!!

My First Coonhunt

When I was 6 years old I wanted to go hunting with my dad and the hounds in the worst way. Everynight I would beg to go. He always said no, you can’t go until your 10 years old. That was 4 years of waiting. A girl could die from all that waiting. On October 7th 1978 my 10th Birthday we went coonhunting. Just me and my dad. I was so excited. We turned out 3 blueticks on the first dump. It was a small patch of corn along a creek. The dogs went out and we walked out into the corn. I had a little flashlight that I was using to see. My dad was telling me to turn off that light. So I did. Then he moved over a few corn rows and I turned on the flashlight and I was following and he says SHHHHHH.. stand still. Shut that light off. So I did. The hounds opened up on track. I turned my light back on and dad was quick to tell me to shut that light off or he was gonna take me home. So off my light went and I put it in my jacket pocket. Didn’t want to risk my chances of never getting to go again after all this was my first hunt. The hounds were getting closer and closer. I was asking Dad what they were doing and he told me.. SHHHHHHH.. stand still.. be quiet.. So I did… I stood there like a statue. I was getting kind of scared cuz those hounds sure sounded like they were meaning business and they were getting closer and closer and it seemed like the corn got taller and the rustling of corn leaves and stalks were so loud it almost hurt your ears.. Then it happened.. I was in the dirt.. run over by a big ole Minnesota Coon.. I let out a scream that you could have heard in Texas. Scared me to death. As I was picking myself up off the ground it happened again I was trampled by 3 Blueticks hot on the trail of ole Mr. Ringtail. My dad came over to me laughing and said “ Why didn’t you get out of the way”. I was too scared to move. He laughed and just then the hounds treed. So I followed my dad to the tree (with my light on)… and he figured that if I could go through the trouble of getting run over by that big ole coon and 3 hounds I should be the one to shoot it out. He helped me hold the Ruger 10/22 steady and showed me how to look through the scope.. then BANG.. That big ole coon fell too the ground and the 3 hounds jumped in on it. The coon was dead and the hounds were headed back out for the next chase. My dad advised me not to tell my mom that I got ran over by a coon or hounds. She would not take too kindly to her 10 year old Tom Boy daughter tromping through the woods in the dark and getting hurt. It was me and my dads secret for years.
That was it. I was hooked. I love coon hunting yet to this day. I owe my love of hunting to my father Gilmur Eia. He taught me the way of the woods, hounds, creeks, culverts, coon, wind and most of all how to be a good hound handler and a good sportsman. He has retired from the Hound hunting but he will still go out with me and my hounds at times. I know if I ever have a question about hunting I know I can ask him and he will give me the best advice because of his years of experience. Thank you Dad!! I love you and all that you have taught me!! I hope to someday be as good of hound handler as you!!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Houndlady
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:15 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Susie, that was a good story and I am glad that you enjoy coonhunting and respect your dad for knowledge and I know you have had lots of good times with him in the woods. This ole world needs more women like you. "Thar ain't nothin wrong with a hunting woman". :D , fact is I think it just makes them a better woman. Good hunting

Texascoonhunter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:06 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

:D Thank you Texascoonhunter for the kind words!! :wink: Sounds like you have some great Hog hounds!! Good stories from you too!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:17 pm 
IP:
Susie, I dont have any Girls only sons. but all my friends that have daughters say there is a special bond with their little girls. since you hunted with him all those yrs that bond is even greater. It was a wonderful story. I can tell how much you love the ol fella.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:42 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

:D :D Your right Randall~There is a very special bond there!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:18 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

good story susie have you been run over by any more dogs ? :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:20 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

From the pics she sure keeps the coons in line :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:59 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Hi ya Mel.. Nope havent been run over anymore by hounds.. Had a coon or two try and crawl me a time or two.. but I learned what those Wolverine Boots are for!! :wink:
Gloria.. ya.. those coon are only in line when they feel like it!! Dont think I will be having them much longer.. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Very good story. :wink:

Huh she is treed again what a surprise.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:37 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

:D Thank you!! Would have been really fun to have a video of it!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:52 pm 
IP:
best story ive ever heard susie thanks for shareing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:09 pm 
IP:
Good story. The closet i have been to a coon is right in the middle of the fight with the dogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:27 am 
IP:
great story!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:38 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

great story... reminds me of my first coon hunt i was about 8 or 9 i went with my papaw he had 2 monster black and tans i'll never forget they tree'd by a creek bed...it just so happen not only was there a coon at the top of that tree it had a hollow spot in it about 3 foot up off the ground about a foot in diameter and my papaws buddy had a younger dog at the time he stuck his head in that hole and pulled out a skunk... needless to say that smell at that age can ruin a kid on a first hunt... but i couldnt let it bother me ... so on the second dump it was still earlier in the season a few leaves were on trees and this patch of oaks they tree'd in had to be the tallest trees i had ever seen i do remember complaining about my neck hurting we looked up for so long trying to see his eyes ... papaw pulled out the ole coon swaller i backed up 12 foot or so from the tree and i will be darned if a coon didnt fall out of that tree that i had propped myself up against he fell less than a foot from me... the dogs pulled off the tree they were on and nailed him and me to the ground... needless to say i've been hooked everysince

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:33 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

:D Those are awesome stories!! Isnt it funny what you can remember from hunting when your young!!!!!! :wink: