CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:09 pm 
IP:
Old Jim wrote:
Jeesh, guys, it was just a question, that's all. No need to get riled and talk down to me.

I didn't think anyone was talking down to you. Everyone has their own opinions on hunting--what is ethical, what is sporting, etc.

For me, shooting a coon on the ground or using scents to bait deer are both unsportsmanlike. But look around the stores during hunting season; so many scents and baits that clearly many other hunters think it's fine. To each his own.

The first couple coons I shot I used a spot light. I needed a coon to drag around to show my dog what scent he should look for. After that it's all about the dog, for me personally. If my source of income was selling furs then I probably would feel differently.

If calling them out is fun for you, then have fun. Just remember you're on a site for coon hunting with dogs--you'll get a lot of passionate opinions :)

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:51 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
if its not done with a dog i have no interest what so ever in it.
coyotes sure, deer sure. but to me the only way a coon should be hunted is at night with a dog. its all about the dogs.
i for one don't carry my coon out and sell them.. buzzards got to eat too.
fur buyer wants mine they can follow me around and carry them out them selves..they can save thier 4 bucks.
i go for one reason,i enjoy the dogs.
i watched them using the calls on tv before. i am glad in michigan you have to have a dog treed at the point of kill . other then the trapping of coon or damage causing coon, its the only way you can take coon in mich legally.. at night with a dog. and by law the dog has to tree it, no shinning .

Old Jim started this thread with (Daylight Hunting with a call) He was seeking the following information!!! (Quote) [I've been doing a bit of reading and studying on this lately. Anybody here ever tried it?? Sure would like to hear back from those that have.] (unquote) Toe Cutter; you were the first to come in with a reply. Just what reason did you have to post a response that contained absolutely nothing to do with Jims request.

The Swamp Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:20 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

to shed some light, i believe he was getting to the point of which he ultimately made that in his state(MI) that daylight hunting with a call would be against the law. that coons are legally hunted with dogs only, and they must tree the coon.....

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just for clarification in case anyone wanted to come up to Michigan. We can legally hunt coons with a call, day or night.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

dredder wrote:
Just for clarification in case anyone wanted to come up to Michigan. We can legally hunt coons with a call, day or night.

========================================================================================================
That is a very interesting statement; But Old Jim never got much Info on his question!!!

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:59 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Could not have said it any better. :mrgreen:

Why did you delete such a good post toecutter?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:09 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

stu9344 wrote:
Could not have said it any better. :mrgreen:

Why did you delete such a good post toecutter?

i just thought about it and decided it was better to just keep my opinion on the subject to myself and not stir the pot any.
most true hound hunters can see what is real coonhunting and what is not without me pointing it out for them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Now hearing all this bickering back and forth between all of y'all i thought to my self well its hunting the matter of harvesting the animal for its hide or just for fun is just the persons way of doing it right or wrong everyone has their own opinion or way of doing something i personally run dogs and love treeing coons at three in the morning and hunting in the competitions but if some kid has his own land to hunt and wants to go shine for coons and call them in then fine thats his business doesnt mean i have to criticize him for being different if it aint illeagle in my state or the state hes doing it in then fine as long as hes not doing it on my land or the land i use for the competitions i cant believe what hunting has come to people arguing over something someone does i mean come on guys why can you just do it your way and if someone agrees or likes it then fine but if you dont like it then mind your own the way to get people to understand the way you do things is to show them not talk down to them because they dont understand the practical way of coon hunting or hunting general but if the way they do things work then let it be and be done with it im not picking sides but this gets to be a little over whelming seeing that a sport i love to do is coming down to be a two sided debate on whos right or whos wrong it honestly makes me sick that some day its going to be left for the younger generation to decide the fate of the sport of hunting and arguments like this worry me about the fate of the sport

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Old Jim,
I haven't tried calling coon yet but my wife gave me a Fox Pro caller for Christmas and it has a raccoon distress call on it. I've seen the videos and it looks like a blast but now I have to wait until the season opens in the fall. From everything I've seen it works great just don't sit too close to the call or you may end up with an angry coon in your lap. :)

As a side note:
We almost lost bear hunting in Michigan because of bickering between the bait hunters and the hound hunters. The anti's tried using the two groups against each other and it almost worked. As outdoorsman, hunters and trappers we all need to stick together and support each other regardless of our personal preferences.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:10 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

to me if you shoot any coon your dog did not tree or shoot more then one coon out of a tree your dog treed on, you have no idea of what the term sport even means. i did'nt shine coon or kill more then one out of a tree when coon hides were $25 to $35 each. i will not lower myself to do it for $4 to $8 each. young or old i'll tell you the same thing, if you shine a coon and kill it while coon hunting with me with my dogs or jump shoot a rabbit while hunting with me and my rabbit dogs. we are done and you will never go with me again.
if i think you are wrong then i will tell you i think you are wrong. i don't really care if you think it is right or not. i aint on here to be your friend or say anything in hopes you will agree. i don't care if you do or don't.
maybe if some had someone that actually has some integrity and principals and a backbone guiding them insted of you telling them "do it how you ever want to do it", they could actually see the enjoyment of a hound doing good work and not just see the $ signs people like you have taught them to look for..
i knew plenty that would walk around the woods killing $25 coon with a worthless dog just trailing around barking and never treeing just to beat hunting laws.. then come home and brag to thier wife and kids and buddies that did'nt know how coonhunting was done how good of a hunter they were/how good my dog is "look how many i got"..you were just out there for the money... you were not coon hunting then and you ain't coon hunting now. you're shinnin. hunting w/a one eyed red bone. you are CHEATING.
the site here is called coondawgs.com, because it is for people that hunt with hounds..... not coon harvesting anyway you can 101,or chats in the cabelas parking lot.com...
you should not worry about the fate of the sport,you don't even know what the sport of hunting hounds is. and if you do,you just stated in your post you will be the first to say ok do it anyway you want cause I'LL NOT STAND UP FOR HOW I THINK IS THE RIGHT WAY FOR IT TO BE DONE. i dont care if its legal or not, its not hound hunting the way i was taught or how i taught my son and grand sons to coon hunt. i taught them there is more to it then just the $$$ bills. unlike what you greedy cornballs have taught yours.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Toe Cutter
I feel sorry for you!!!!!

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:23 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

plottten wrote:
Toe Cutter
I feel sorry for you!!!!!

Robert

its sad you aint got nothing better to do with your time then follow me from site to site and from post to post to ask me why i do things. after 27 yrs in michigans maximum security state prisons do you really think what you think or feel has any bearing on my thoughts what so ever.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:29 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

take them to school toe cutter!!!
boys thats a houndsman talkin, pay attention

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:45 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

ghosthunter wrote:
take them to school toe cutter!!!
boys thats a houndsman talkin, pay attention
They will learn one day!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Here is my take on it for what it is worth.... I agree with Toe Cutter in a sense. I have no interest in shooting them during the day, or with out dogs. But I really don't care if anyone else does it, as long as it is legal where they are hunting. TC you mentioned that this is coondawgs.com but this site also has forums and information about trapping which obviously requires no dogs. While I can respect your decision not to hunt coons/rabbits with out dogs, I think the same respect should be given to those who decide not too. Some of the most fun I had as a kid was walking around with my dad and friends kicking bushes and shooting the rabbits as they took off. Don't get me wrong, I like watching a good beagle but at the time we didn't have any. Anyways, my point is... telling guys that they are wrong for hunting (legally) the way they do because you don't agree with it is no different than someone telling you that you are wrong for hunting animals with dogs because they don't agree with it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next