CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my dad and i were looking at a 2.5 year old redbone dog... not trained but does have several commands, so may have some of the basics down already. I was also looking at a walker because my dad ran that for a few years. I'd like to hear about some of your experiences with either or both of these breeds. Thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:42 pm 
IP:
the red bones i hunted with were stubborn and trashy. i like walkers just my preferrance

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:25 pm 
IP:
walkers are good but a bluetick is the way to go

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:03 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well tubby and walker, just got off the phone with a man with some pups, he went after a hybrid mix and put a bluetick and a walker together, hopefully this will work out, it's gonna be a girl so give me any info u guys can on how to train a little Sue Ann. Thanks again guys!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:49 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

redbones are very bullheaded i here about good ones but never see em i like walkers and blue dog and im crossin a blue with a walker this year should make sum real deal coondogs.... and as far as trainin read the trainin forum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:56 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well, we got the pups home last night, turns out the gentlemen was hunting with his walker, being trained by the owner's brother's bluetick... he didn't see the female was in heat, she was only about 7 or 8 months old and nature took 'er course!!.. but she produced a really good batch of pups, a lot of straight backs.... we got 3 and expect atleast 2 to be coonhounds.. hopefully it all works out for u too!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:41 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

yea my buddy has a blue bitch and and told him we should cross her and my male they will prolly be uglier then sin but who cares they will prolly be the best coondogs around

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well, I have to admit.... they are certainly favoring the bluetick side of their heritage, but one is looking to look like a walker pup except for some gray spots!!, they are all gorgeous... but sadly they are my first and as they say, sometimes it's a face that only a mother can love... anyways, they are fearless as H**L, chasing cats that keep wooping them :lol: can't wait till they get a coon this fall!! also.... do u maybe have any good hints on how to train some fresh puppies throughout the summer, already gonna use some COON, not urine, scent on a raccoon drag/toy... anything will be appreciated!! thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:57 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

READ WALK WITH WICK volumes 1 & 2

PR' Odin's Hammer (black brindle)
PR' North Country's Frosted Blue Moon(maltese brindle)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:34 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

take em to the woods right now and make them your best friend then it will hit em as they get older

pr clarks go hard or go home blue cowboy
pr clarks go hard or go home blue lucy
go visit my website it is gohardorgohomebluetickkennels.weebly.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:36 am 
IP:
MAn you can't go wrong with a redbone. You just have to make sure you get the right blood and put LOTS of time into them. I have hunted with some world quality red dogs. Walkers are nice dogs. they are so many good walkers around they wouldn't be hard to find a good one. My advice is find a dog you like and stick with him. Hunt him till his tail starts going bald then go from there.
Good luck bub

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Good luck bub[/quote]
beast wrote:
take em to the woods right now and make them your best friend then it will hit em as they get older

Haha, been taking them with me for the last couple days.. but they are really only 6 weeks old, but i have actually had some good dogs come from just sitting with them in front of the tv and taking them on truck rides.... but they sadly were just lap dogs and were great with me!! hopefully i can make these dogs as good as my old ones, they certainly have it in them!!
Yet, i think i will eventually go ahead and get me a redbone... i'll ust have to see how well i do on these dogs, wish me luck guys!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:22 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Fresh road kill works if u don't have any hides my pup have hides in there box from the day there born instead of a blanket LOL it's called impressioning I think it make it easier for your pup to get over that so called hump LOL and I always have salted coontails layin around for them to play with but other then that read the training forum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:37 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am looking for some hides... i think that idea about putting the hides in the box will work though, i am about to go look for some good, fresh roadkill when the next moon comes up.... i'll just have to hope for the best until then, and i think i know a guy who could set me up with some older pelts, until Kelly and Wendy get their own that is!! but then they'll probably just be for the next generation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:42 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

every breed exeppt walker,black&tan,redtick suck

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]