CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Please Give Your Opinion
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:52 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have talked with several people all with different views so I thought I would post on here and ask the question. Do you think it is better to have a dog in a kennel or chained out. I have heard arguments for both and I know with a female you would have to kennel her when in heat but in general what are yalls opinions on this? Thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:55 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

im kinda fond on kennels myself but i know a lot of people that chain out, and nuttin wronf with that. i just like the fact of mine not havine a chain on them all the time but with them being on a chain they are better on the lead. there are pros and cons for all of them so the most important thing would be do what is easier on your checkbook

In memory of papa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:01 am 
IP:
I prefer chain circles for these reasons. The dogs are more active on a chain. They can interact with the environement better. The clean up is much easier. The stink is much less. There is more maintenance with chaining but worth it in my opinion. I do use kennels as well but only for females in heat, puppy's too young to chain and for injured dogs who need to be kept calm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:07 am 
IP:
i like a kennel and a chain.Th reason i like a kennel better is because when i am going to have to be gone for a few days i can just put a lock on the kennel door.A couple of weeks ago someone kept opening up my cousins kennel doors and just lettin the dogs out.We caught him once and i dont think that he will do it again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:10 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

those are some very good points lck and i agree with those. i just use the kennels because ive got a septic system hooked onto mine so washing out the pen is a breeze and no stench. id keep mine on a chain but we have got a lot of stray dogs that keep comeing up here as it is and we dont need a hound getting in a fight with a mutt and ruin them for the hunt that nite but good points on the chaining i might start doing some with mine when im at home so i can keep a eye on them it might help them some

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:24 am 
IP:
what ever fits you the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:58 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i HAVE 4 5X10' KENNELS AND 2 CHAINS. i TRY TO ROTATE them out. I try to get them all on the chain every week. If you will start out by putting a pup on a chain a few hours a day it will most of time make it easier to leash break them. jmo

Home of:

NITECH Beaver Creek Stylish Nellie

CH Whitey's Stylish Samantha

Triple X-Rated

Rank's Stylish Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:03 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

There are advantages to each method. I selected the one best for ME and let the dogs settle for that. We are starting to thaw here as we speak and for several weeks, dogs on chains are ankle deep in mud and slime. Walk within 10 feet of one to feed or water and you are as filthy as the dog. Not so on concrete. I have 4 kennels that have access to the barn where they have a small indoor run. Gates outside, and doors inside allows me to feed, water, handle and treat dogs without getting in the rain, snow, wind, ect. and then be able to go to town without a bath and change of cloths. Dogs stay cleaner. Parasites are also easy to control. Chainlink over the top insures that there are no unwanted puppies. No dog fights with roaming and stray mutts. Chains and snaps breaking and dogs getting killed before I get home aren't a factor.
My theory is, if it works for me, the dogs will adjust to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:18 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

We've got both our dogs on chain but I do wish that I could have a large fenced off area to keep them in. I think if my backyard was fenced off it'd keep out strays, give them more excersize, and reduce things like dogs strangling and spilt feed dishes from the chain.

Chetek Bulldogs- Playoffs Level 4

Calkins- #11 on Coondawgs post list.

Home of:
Calkins' Northern White Raider

Signature Edit by Admin and Reason Account is Now Banned.

A dog is only as good as the man's word that's selling it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:15 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i have owned dogs on tie outs and i've had kennels ... i use to have this dayum redbone female that you couldnt keep in a pen she would bust her mouth chewing on chain link, or she would climb over it , or dig under ...right now i have about a 50 ft by 50ft area fenced in and i have my dogs on chains when i cant be with them... inside the fence... when i get home i turn them loose... works out well for the plott dog and the blue tick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:41 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I keep my females in kennels and males on chains or when I am hunting one of my males hard I keep them in the kennel it seems they lay around a little more the only reason i keep the females in kennels is i don't want them getting bred so I have to road them when i'm not hunting them hard

Nitch'Pr' Deepwoods Cye Boy
Grnitch'Pr' Like NO Dawn J
Grnitch'Pr' Maves' Nightmare Ms. Monster
GrCh Grnitch'Pr' Rebel's War Cry
'Pr' M&S' Screamin Loose Cannon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:19 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

after having a ukc gr nite pkc silver ch and a 2 yr old that won in the PKC superstakes finals, STOLEN OFF CHAINS, i keep my dogs in locked kennels with a locked perimeter fence and a man eating shepard inside the perimeter fence.dogs are too easy to take off chains. i ONLY chain my dogs out when i am at home to look out for them......................TC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:58 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I used to say kennels cause I know there safe that is until I expanded from foxhounds to a add some coonhounds. When you buy a coonhound it ought come with a two by four. It would never get used however because you always tryin to figure out whether you should knock the coonhound over the head with it in an effort to impart some sense into him or give it to your hunting partner to knock you over the head with to knock some sense into you.
I've had coonhounds rip up a chain link kennel. I reinforce all my panels now. dang coonhounds. Paul Conway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

In my opinion- if you have a dog - and you don't want anything to happen to your dog like get stolen or some one coming up to your dog to "pet it up" so they can take it in the middle of the night w/o you knowing it.--Or a stray running loose and it attaks your pick of the litter 6 mos. pup-- and the pup is laying dead on the chain when you get back from the store. A coyote makes your female a snack. Ect.

I guess it depends on you what you have in your dogs ( time money training lots and lots of purina ect. ) I have to much in mine to loose one They are ALL under lock and key 24/7 w the exception of hunting only

PR'PB N J's Dewberry Daisy and PR'PB N J's Blueberry Betsy
Member of SBA and BBOA .22 DRAGGIN -HOUND DOGS TREEIN -COON SEEIN CRAZY Take a kid hunting with a hound dog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I rotate my dogs into different type housing all the time. I have a 10x10 kennel with and big insulated dog house. I have barrel houses with chains and I have a couple of run lines with some wooden insulated dog houses. I take my dogs with me places all the time and by rotating the type of environment they're in at home they seem to adjust real nice where ever I go with them and they don't bark the hole time they just settle into their new setup.