CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:17 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Tc, Those are sharp. i have been thinking about doing some kenneling and think im going to go this route myself. but i got a question about em. do you set the corner post in the ground or just make sure they are setting good and level. they look at little top heavy and was just wondering if you have ever had any problem with tipping from side to side, especially if a hound gets to bouncing around like an idiot in one.

'PR' TERMITE'S ROWDY
'PR' JOLLIE'S BUCK BRUSH AUGGIE

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:27 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

they are very heavy once you get one together. takes at least four grown men to lift it. i have tried to flip them over on the side to load on a trailer. its hard to do. i leave mine free standing ,so i can move them. but you could cement one or two legs very easy . you would just never move it without digging up the leg.with the 4 foot wide and 10 foot long stance and 6 foot high, they are very stable.if you make then more narrow, then they would be easy to flip.they are actually bottom heavy with all the weight being at floor level and the roof being just the 1/4 or 1/2 sheet of shealthing, 2 foot higher at 6 foot,then the base of the 4 foot wide stance.get what i'm saying?..............TC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:57 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Yeah i got ya. i have never seen one like this before and just wanted to make sure that it would be good and steady without any hole digging. and after re-reading how it was i can now see how the weight is more centered inside the posts than on top. thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:26 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

WITH THESE 2 INCH RIPED STRIPS YOU SAID ARE 2 IN APART AND ARE THERE EVER ANY PROBLEMS WITH THEM GETTING THERE FEET HUNG IN THE CRACKS ??

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey guys, I just built two for my pups. The TC condos are great. I can move them around with just two guys and they are very steady. I used screws on one to hold together and nail gun on the other and neither one wobbles or shows any sign of loosness. I think the way TC explained building them keeps them from moving. Its all interlocked they way it is designed. The only thing i did different was to keep only an inch space for flooring. Was worried about feet falling through... Still works good enough for cleanup.

Thanks TC...

Tony Steelman

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:50 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

thrasherjr wrote:
WITH THESE 2 INCH RIPED STRIPS YOU SAID ARE 2 IN APART AND ARE THERE EVER ANY PROBLEMS WITH THEM GETTING THERE FEET HUNG IN THE CRACKS ??
no problems. since a 2 x 4 in reality is only 1 1/2 by 3 1/2.when you rip a 2 x 4. the "2 x 2" is actually 1 and 3/4 wide.i place the "2 x 2s" the width of one of the floor rails.1 3/4 inches apart.i lay the floor rails down and nail every other one,then remove the ones i did not nail, giving me the spacing................TC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i thought that but as u said about the treated i knew this but what about water sealing with something like tompsons or something to that affect do you see any problems with this as i am building tommorrow and i will be able to go back and spray it in with a pump sparyer the only thing that i could think of is skin irritation if anything at all but what are your thoughts in preserving the wood this way

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:34 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i dont know if its the chemical that wood is treated with or not,but i have found the stool sticks to the pre treated wood more,it does not fall through as well as it does with the untreated wood, used for the floor rails........................TC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:30 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Toe Cutter, I just got done building one of these. Does it take a dog a little while to get used to the floor?

Thanls, Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:45 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

some dogs may take a day or two. you can lay a piece of wood down on the floor. some thing 5 or 6 feet long and 8 or 10 inches wide for them to walk for a week or so , then take it out. but most dogs will get the hang of it in a day or so.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:01 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
some dogs may take a day or two. you can lay a piece of wood down on the floor. some thing 5 or 6 feet long and 8 or 10 inches wide for them to walk for a week or so , then take it out. but most dogs will get the hang of it in a day or so.

Ok thanks! I really like the concept. I think I might be building three more of them. A friend of mine gave me 150' of 3 1/2' chainlink fence. I'm able to build one for $120. I used 2X3's on the floor though. Menards had a deal on them for $1.10 a piece. They were cheaper than 2x2's and easier than ripping 2x4's. I spaced them by laying a 2x3 on edge inbetween the planks as I nailed 'em down. I'll post pics later.

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:26 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

yep, you can use alot of differant materials to save money on them. dogs kinda walk like they are walking on egg shells :D ,till they get used to it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:35 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

some dogs will also pee inside their dog house ,because they don't want to stand on the new style floor they are not used to. i stopped that on a couple dogs by putting a removable sub ceiling in. that prevented them from being able to stand inside the house.i made it even with the top of the doorway. so they have to crawl in and can only lay down.

one of the biggest drawbacks on these style pens is a dog that won't come out to you, you will have to crawl up inside the pen and get him. i have a 3 yr old that if he is barking and i go out to put a bark collar on him,he will go in his house and just look at me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:54 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:36 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

looks good!!! i like the sun porch/deck in front of the house.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next