CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Talked to the fur buyer in my area today he told me he was only looking to buy 5000 hides in total this year. He said he wasn't even sure if he was going to be able to sell them this year and that he is making the preparations to hold on to them for a year.
does not sound good for a feller looking to make some money. Lucky for me i am in it for the recreation.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:12 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

sell them like you are selling a car. highest bidder gets to buy . there are usually more then one buyer in a area. i will not sell them for just what ever they are paying at the time. supply and demand. if i won't supply then the demand will rise.the price is down and will stay down as long as we just sell for what they are offering.i mean why would i give you $1000 for your car if you will sell it for $500 because i say thats the top dollar.if i want it , i will up my offer. try this , after he looks through them , load em back up and say no. see if he does not offer more. when he says don't come back later i won't want them. he is lieing through his teeth.i've had them call me within a hour claiming they had another order and can now pay more. its a poker game you can win.if you play your cards right.if we all do.............TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:47 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I don't stretch or dry mine. Just skin them. I wonder if I should try some shopping around. There's two or three guys within the same distance from me. If I hold out maybe one can give me a better price.

I remember when I was 16 my dad sold about 8 coon one week and got almost 20 bucks apiece for them. The next week, I took about 5 back and the guy must have seen me coming a mile away. I think I was lucky to get 12 for the big one. From then on I made sure my dad went with me.

Hopefully now I can play the game a little better. We'll have to see 8)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I think hunters should put togeather COOP's in divided sections of each state and sell in volume at auction to buyers like they do with NAFA. It would be the Coon Hunters Cooperative, (CHC or Missouri CHC, Iowa CHC). Strength in numbers... Spend alittle extra time and scrap/strech them. Let them bid on your furs. Advertise the auction and invite buyers. The farmers pulled togeather not to long ago and look how well it worked out for them.