CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:11 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ok guys here we go. I have never trapped anything except a few coon for pup training and property damage prevention. That beind said i've also cought four or five truck loads of possum, alot of house cats, and the occasional stray dog. I need some advice on the whole deal. I want to trap Bobcat, cotoye, fox, beaver, and of course coon. What size and type of traps do I need and how do I prepair them, how and where do I go about setting them, what kind of scent precautions do I need to take. All that good stuff. Being an avid hunter and fisherman, I have places to trap for all of these types of varmits. I know where there are three coyote dens, four fox dens, I have a good river to trap the beaver and coon off of, and have a few places that I have seen alot of Bobcats.

What books do you recommend buying for a beginner. I personally do not know anyone who traps that could teach me.

Any info will be apperciated.

**CGN CGCH 'PR' S & JR's Show Me Bella**
**CNC CCH 'PR' O'Neal's Locktite Little River D** (Co-Owned with Russell O'Neal)
(CH GRNTCH PR Coulter's Timbuktu X NITE CH GRCH PR Little River Jessie Jr HTX)
**'PR' Stouts Creek Jessie II**
(GrNiteCh 'PR' Isom's Show Me Black Timber X GrCh 'PR' Little River Jessie Jr. HTX)
**'PR' Stouts Creek Gator**
**'PR' Stouts Creek Hooker**
(GrNite Ch Gr Ch "PR" Coulter's Timbuktu X GrNite Ch Gr Ch "PR" Faulkner's Amy)

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:31 pm 
IP:
There is alot of area to cover with your Q's. It would take a book to answer all of that so I would recommend buying a Fur-Fish & Game magazine and order one of the books on trapping they have advertised. They are all good. Or look on-line, Mike Marsyada is a great trapper and has plenty of books out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

http://www.traps4kids.com/

There is a lot of good info on that site. Such as the right sized traps for animals and fur handling info.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:23 pm 
IP:
Get the book Trapping North American Furbearers by S.Stanley hawbaker tells how to trap a lot of animals. I use the 1.75 victor for coyote and bob cat use the 1 and half for fox and coon. I like useing the bucket set for coon a bucket that has groves cut in it for the conibearin to set in with the bait in the back of the bucket put some were no pets can get in it. I use the dirt hole set for coyotes and foxes does really will. Tells all about it in that book. Just have clean traps and order free. I always wear rubber gloves and boots when trapping. Finding a dead alimal in the woods works good also mos of the time has goood trails going in to it place trap to one side in the trail. When makeing the dirt hole set use a smal rock so they can see over it and put the bait hole at a angle and bed the trap just in front of that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:09 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

go to www.trapperman.com and search the archives, or go to the trapper talk forum. All the info you'll ever need.