CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

What make of Diesel pick up truck do you recommend?
Ford Powerstroke Diesel 40%  40%  [ 32 ]
Dodge Cummins Diesel 27%  27%  [ 22 ]
Chevy Duramax Diesel 33%  33%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 81
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:08 pm 
IP:
what make of 3/4 ton pickup truck would you recommend?

I am fixing to buy my first Diesel pickup truck, I would like to get some different opinions on the power, transmissions,etc....... on the different trucks.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:14 pm 
IP:
I would say Chevy I have a one to n dually diesel and love it plus I am getting great fuel milage between 20-22mpg out of it. I would not recommend Dodge transmissions won't hold up to that cummings. My father in law has one it is in the shop about every one to two months for recalls. it is only 1 1/2 years old and he has had nothing but problems out of them. I don't know about the fords I am just happy with my chevy and I am a ford man on sundays Jarrett will get it right sooner or later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:24 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

the duramax is the most powerful and reliable and the alison transmission is excellent. my vote went there...but, the ford is very competitive for less money. It is what i am actually looking at....if you've got the money, go with the chevy, if not, definitely ford. the dodge has transmission problems, and is underpowered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:51 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

WE LOVE OUR DODGE
ALOT OF THE GUYS THAT HUNT AROUND HERE HAVE THE DODGE
ONE THING I CAN SAY THOUGH IS IF YOU ARE GONNA HUNT OUT OF IT THE DODGE DOES HAVE THE LOUDEST DIESEL MOTOR OR THE THREE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:22 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I agree on the Dodge transmissions having problems,but those are mostly in automatics, which has never been Dodge's strong suit.So, if you're going for pulling,go with the Dodge with a manual trans.Dodge has also come out with the Cummins 600, which is the quietest diesel out there.The main thing is that diesel trucks off the showroom floor are only running at about 1/3 of their available horsepower,and the aftermarket for diesel is booming, so what any brand CLAIMS is there horsepower numbers is only a jumping-off point.I have a friend that has a Dodge 4- wheel drive dually with a 5-step programmer in it (aftermarket)that allows him to go from tractor pulls to drag strip by pressing a button.He also has a propane- injection system that gives more power and killer mileage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:02 am 
IP:
I went with a Ford and am well pleased with the power, clearance and ability to take some very serious abuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:07 am 
IP:
personally all u really need is a 1/2 ton like a dodge ram sport 1500 them are real nice and have an affordable price. then again wat kind of huntin u do. the bed isnt the biggest pry about 8 ft. perfect for a dogbox. my neighbor has a dodge ram 1500 turbo charged cummins diesal for bout 25,000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:36 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

coleman, you hit the nail on the head about the after market. I saw on Trucks on spike TV where they took a chevy with a duramax, put a new wiring harness on it and a hypertech programmer and had a low 14 second pickup and it pulled like a champ also... the total cost was under 500 for the upgrades.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:44 am 
IP:
Depending on your state emission laws on what you buy is a big decision maker. I know Tennessee passed this year diesels under 9999 gvwr have to go through emissions. I know that dodge 2500 is under that. But a 3500 is not. I just don't think you can beat that duramax with the alison tranny. Cummings has been making 600 horse power diesels for years. What is the use of having all that horsepower and torque if you can't use it. Also dodge has been making tranny's that don't hold up under any sercumstances. Dodge is to well known for tranny problems. I haul all of these vehicles I am a car hauler and haul all of these from the plants. Ford does have a nice powerstroke but I believe the package chevy gives is a whole lot better. Any of you that have had a Dodge for the past two or three years How many times has it been recalled. I know of 4 times just for the tranny. I have owned 2 dodges in my life and 1 plymoth same thing 1 dodge tranny went out 12000 miles another 36000 miles, then the plymoth accually lasted 46000 miles. Never had transmission problems out of any other vehicle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:19 pm 
IP:
I personaly think picking a truck is like picking a breed of coonhound, theres good and bad in all of them, it's just a matter of opinion and what someone prefers. I personaly like Dodge but if you park a new Ford or Chevy in my driveway and tell me it's all mine, I'll drive the wheels off of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

if I were u i would get a F250 you cant beat that blue oval. We have a few powerstrokes around the farm and those things are tuff. Especially the new 6.o liter, my next choice would be a dodge because they have Cummins backing them, and all of our 18wheelers have Cummins. But i guess theres good and bad in each of em. Just my opinion

Post subject: post subject
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:41 pm 
IP:
For a work truck I would go f 250. For coon hunting there not to
good they weigh to much. When I get stuck with my F 250 diesel
The little ford ranger just keep on going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:55 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I pull a gooseneck equipment trailer a lot, and generally tag my trucks at 24000 gvw. I have had numerous ford 3/4 and 1 tons and the only real problem was one 7.3 with an auto, and that transmission never was right. I would steer clear of older autos in a truck you will pull with. I have my first dodge one ton, and it does not hurt for power, but it doesnt' ride near as nice as the fords. You can't go wrong with a cummins diesel, I have one in a dump truck, a skid steer and this pickup, and havent had to touch one of them. The only problem I ever had in the fords (7.3 non-powerstroke)was an injector pump. The 3/4 ton fords in the 80's and early 90's had a bad front end design in the 4wd's as well. Steer clear of them. That's my experiences in a nut shell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:37 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

each one is gonna have its own stong points and weak points- i personally reccomend the Chevy 2500 Duramax Turbo Diesel.

-Chevy has the most bang for your buck. the most quality and longest lasting. better gas milage too. the only problem i have with em is the IFS (independant front suspension) but thats because im big on lifting trucks and its way more expensive to jack up a IFS and more expensive to costomize. but if youre not worried about offroading itll give you a nice ride on the street. chevys all id have. theyre awesome trucks!

-Ford is wayyy to expensive, seems like they haul good as long as theyve just come out of the shop. theyll nickle and dime you TO DEATH. when i pay 60 grand for a truck it better be able to haul as much as a peterbuilt and be able to hit a brick wall and not have a scratch on it and still be able to pull that much 30 years later. all the new fords ive seen are damn near falling apart. dont even get me started with ford- all im gonna say is i wouldnt have one personally.

-Dodge you better be willin to change out trannys every couple years. CTDs are alright but theyre not very good pulling a trailor. plus when youre using it for hauling youre gonna be runnin through trannys twice if not 3 times as fast. but i suppose if youre gonna have a performance tranny waitin on it at the house theyre alright...

whatever you get fix it up with BANKS performance products- itll make your diesel come alive! get the Banks Six Gun! youll love the towing feature and the performance feature. good luck!

Last edited by ItsOlMander on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:45 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I own a gas 3/4 ton Dodge and i replaced the tranny once already and i get the worst gas mileage of any truck i have ever owned. Thats not to mention its starting to rust also. I will never buy another Dodge , gas or diesel. Theres a reason they are cheaper on the lot.