CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Toyota trucks?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:51 pm 
IP:
Ok folks, I need some education. I am fixin on trading the old bomb in on a Toyota truck. I could use all the advice and info available on these trucks. Models, options, size, everything. The good and the bad. I plan on treating this truck like a rented mule so I need to know how they hold up under rough use. So come on Toyota experts let's hear it.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:57 pm 
IP:
what year range you lookin' at getting? i've got an '87 with 312,000 miles. i've owned it since '89. it's been everywhere from the mountains of virginia to the swamps of eastern north carolina. different years have different faults and benefits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:20 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

there isnt a better truck than a toyota! I like the 84 and 85 myself. 85 is the last year with the solid front axle. You can climb a telephone poll with one of those. Any year of toyota is good though. They can handle any abuse and just keep on going. buddy has a 06 tundra and does a lot of hunting with it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:23 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i have a 87 and 88 4runner the 87 has almost 300,000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:26 pm 
IP:
jeff anderson wrote:
what year range you lookin' at getting? i've got an '87 with 312,000 miles. i've owned it since '89. it's been everywhere from the mountains of virginia to the swamps of eastern north carolina. different years have different faults and benefits.

:shock: I would be happy with those miles! I don't know enough about em yet to know what year I am lookin for. Just mainly interested in getting educated so I kind of know what I am lookin for. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:27 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

where im frmo in west vir. thats all the bear and coon hunters use is toyotas you can tstop em they are one tough truck most of them that get used and hunted in hard have milage over 150,000 and 200,000 miles and they still run as if they only had 50,000!!

Ive hunted almost everyday of my life, the rest have been wasted!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:36 pm 
IP:
i'm on my second motor and transmission. i paid 650 for the used motor several years ago and 750 for the tranny a couple years ago. my 87 has two faults. the cabs are great but the beds rust. the second is the particular transmission i have is heavy duty, however the transmission input shaft front bearing is above grease level. guys who work on them alot can pull that bearing without tearing down the tranny. if the bearing goes and you keep driving it you ruin the whole gear cluster. now for the good news, mine has original ball joints and suspension. i've used the 4wd alot and so far no problems. just keep the front bearings greased real good. the body style of the '82's has one fault i know of. water collects inside the frame just behind the cab and the frame wants to rust thru, just drill a small hole in the bend in the frame and problem solved. i've seen them break in half. also the most you can expect from a timing chain is about 150,000 or so. the 22r and 20r motors are great. i personally prefer carb'd over fuel injected. solid lifters so it runs forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:38 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

If your looking at newer ones..Ill tell you the mileage sucks...A couple of my buddys bought new ones..They didnt keep them...12-15 miles a gal on the Full size I think its the Tundra..The older Toyotas are not bad..Myself I like chevys......LOL

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: truck
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I had a 90 model and put 360,000 miles on it . It had a little rust on frame but run like a sewing machine. It used a half quart of oil between changes and had 22 r fuel injected engine. It was built in Japan, and if you look on the info. sticker located inside of the door it will tell you where it was made. Most of the mechanics say these are better trucks?? I have a 95 model now ,uses a little oil and has almost 200,000 mile. In my opinion I would rather have a toyota than any thing out there, I have never had mine stuck and I do not baby them when I am in the back country. Ohh what a feeling, TOYOTA :!: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:29 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

watch out for the frame rails ive seen a few trashed

Post subject: Trucks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I like the new ones and was going to buy one, but I drove one four a week and the v6 in the Tacome did not get the gas mileage my Chevy v8 gets. For the money and the gas mileage in new trucks I would buy a chevy. Older trucks I would not hesitate to buy a Toyota.

2005 U.K.C. Performance Sire
Gadsden, AL
Home: (256)546-4464
Cell:(256)504-7235

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:10 pm 
IP:
Thanks for all the good info. Please keep it coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:08 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Go to kbb.com you can check out all the options and pricing info there.

Most Toyotas generally come loaded and the dealers are usually difficult as they never discount, but once you buy it, there service is second to none.

But check out KBB (Kelly Blue Book) as it is a good resource.

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:15 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I have a 93 with 186,000 on it. I will say there has been a recall on some models in reguards to a front axle/contol arm. :?: Mine was included but I have not been able to do without it long enough to take it by the Toyota dealership yet. I would not be without a Toyota turck it is my opinon tey are the best all around light duty truck on the rode for the money most will cost you.
I have had one sense I have had a license to drive. I run moblie 1 motor oil and drive about 8500-10,000 miles between oil changes. I would look for a older one from the late 80's to early 90's. I prefer th 22RE 4 cylnder motor for wear and tear and fuel economy. I have only put a clutch and all parts that are in cluded in a clutch assembly,front and rear main seals, and other standard maintance ie aternators belts etc.

The only thing I know of to be a bad deal with one is the harmonic balancer on the front bottom of the motor where all the belts run is held on by one bolt. This has been known to back out and allow the balancer to fall off causeing serious internal damage to bearings and rods. I caught mine before this happened, I will pause right here and give thanks to GOD. Just be aware of this. It is hard to see just by looking down and even harder to see from the underside because of the stump guard. If you purchase a older one I would be under it soon and check this bolt. A special chain wrench is made that I have been able to rent from Advance or Auto Zone to hold the balancer while the bolt is tightend.

Sorry to get long winded but this is the pro/cons I have found being a Toyota truck owner for almost 15 years.
I hope this helps.

PR VESTAL'S NITRO JACK (Gone But Not Forgotten)
MY SON MY PRIDE AND JOY!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:37 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I got a 91 with the 22re and that baby will go anywhere you all are right! Its like a mini tank...haha I have had to pull full size trucks out when I was working construction and I put her in low and she tugged them right out no trouble They def. are my favorite trucks no doubt about it mine has 222,000 and still runnin strong i gotta through a new clutch in her but thats about all...