It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hazel Hill Blueticks wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:
FYI: It goes back a WHOLE lot farther then chief and the ones from chief that really carried this trait got it from their dam (smokey river crazys blue fly) whom was by sparetime spanky and robs crazy, robs crazy had it also, just as chiefs sire dryfork spud.......I have pics of all of them. the trait goes back to the mt music blue and blaze, alot of sebastion and vaughn dogs also had it and this is where the liver pup came from...............remember that blueticks where english (ie redticks, blueticks and tri's) until 1947. the liver is called a sport/throwback and you see it in all breeds if your around enough. look at the walkers that have ticks on them, they would be blue if there base was any other color besides white. vanzants sam, mt music blue etc. all walkers english and blues go back to these dogs and it really hasnt been that long ago

Tom you seem to have a book of knowledge about our breed. You just about covered every dog in a ped I have here and doubled up on some of them. I guess I have been lucky and have not had a livertick and heavy line breeding has been done in the past and we continue today. I dont believe it came from Mountain Music Blue and Blaze I have pictures of Mountain Music Blue when Mike Herron owned the dog and that was sometime between 1949 and 1955. The foundation stock of Hazel Hill came from the Mountain Music and Vaughn lines and later the Original Northern Blue Hammer was added and at that time Grandpa Carl was just going back to Vaughn, but it created a lifetime friendship between him and Dave. I thought it came more from the Smokey River line. I am not talking about Chief, I am going back into the late 40's I would have to get out my old full cry magazines to pin point it. I believed Warren bred it into them to get the nose off the ground, But I may be wrong.

And yes both the sire and the dam have to have the gene. It has been brought up many times over the years on the UKC forum and I would not be the only person to tell you this if you posted this on UKC.

I am not taking about anything other then the monkeyface that some call a red head. and JTG yes your cameron dogs go back to the same stuff as the rest of them and one point or another and rather or not bird dog has been put in what i hunt many moons ago........I dont care because I wont own a hound that cant pick his head up run a track and do it pronto.

btw" Warren was breeding top hounds before blueticks where recognized as a breed and alot of the good englis dogs go bask to his old blue boy dogs

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:05 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

That is true about Warren. I have full cry mags with his ads in them before he had a bluetick kennel. Warren was one of the breeders that helped get the nose off the ground. I wish Grandpa was still alive he would chime in on this one. He was also hunting hounds before the Bluetick became a seperate breed. Then he met Mike Herron in the late 40's and based his Kennel off Mike's registered stock of blueticks.

I don't care what a person is hunting for a hound they are all cross bred with one thing or another. So ya'll just carry on. :) Tree Ol' Blue

Brad & Alison (Wilcox) McGill
(660) 833-3180

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

A knowledgeable breeder who understands genetics can remove certain traits and replace them with those of his choice. Insomuch if bird dog was added,(which it was) through good breeding practices it can be eliminated.
Liver color, yellow eyes, blue eyes, short tail and other tail issues, lack of grit all come from something other than a hound.
I find it amusing so many are caught up with past breeders and other breeders, which is of little importance, compared to what their own hounds are now and what they can do today.
Of course the best breeders use there own name and are not caught up what someone else has done now or in the past.
JTG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:55 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

JTG wrote:
A knowledgeable breeder who understands genetics can remove certain traits and replace them with those of his choice. Insomuch if bird dog was added,(which it was) through good breeding practices it can be eliminated.
Liver color, yellow eyes, blue eyes, short tail and other tail issues, lack of grit all come from something other than a hound.
I find it amusing so many are caught up with past breeders and other breeders, which is of little importance, compared to what their own hounds are now and what they can do today.
Of course the best breeders use there own name and are not caught up what someone else has done now or in the past.
JTG

No matter how hard you try to remove a trait it still shows back up at times. Right now I am seeing a lot of liver ticked pups, not in our kennel, but in the bluetick breed.

You have to know where you have been to know where you are going. Some of the old traits we can live with generation to generation, coon dogs have been born here. Also this is our name Hazel Hill Blueticks. A family name since 1949. With our older boys hunting the hounds it makes 4 generations of hunters having carried this name with 9 generations of Hazel Hill dogs in our peds here. Things don't last that long by not being sucessful. With the breeding behind our dogs our Grand Children will have Coon Dawgs. Good luck to your breeding program, if we can be of help let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am in agreement there is more and more Liver and Blue eyes in the bluetick breed as I have been bringing this out for a while now. The question is what is the solution and what are you and others doing about it? Why are these hounds being registered and what action is being taken against breeders who do register these type of hounds? UKC and BBOA have written goals and standards but no one is enforcing those standards. When someone spends hard earn money on a registered bluetick they should get what they are paying for, and those organizations based on their goals are paid to do just that. Talk is cheap.
I am also in a agreement that in some breeding programs something different will pop up. At that time a skilled breeder understands and takes corrective action. In respect to line breeding , when a breeder breeds what he considers the best, he is breeding towards more dominant traits and by doing so he is pushing the negative genes deeper in recessiveness. In my case since I have not added any outside blood, their genes have remained the same but rearranged into a sequence that produces more and more positive traits and hides the unwanted traits so deep they no longer express themselves.
I respect you have been staying with it as long as you have. My two lines have not had in outcross, one line in 14 generations and the other line in 11 generations. In the latter and future generations whole litters are being kept.
JTG
Hazel Hill Blueticks wrote:
JTG wrote:
JTG

No matter how hard you try to remove a trait it still shows back up at times. Right now I am seeing a lot of liver ticked pups, not in our kennel, but in the bluetick breed.

You have to know where you have been to know where you are going. Some of the old traits we can live with generation to generation, coon dogs have been born here. Also this is our name Hazel Hill Blueticks. A family name since 1949. With our older boys hunting the hounds it makes 4 generations of hunters having carried this name with 9 generations of Hazel Hill dogs in our peds here. Things don't last that long by not being sucessful. With the breeding behind our dogs our Grand Children will have Coon Dawgs. Good luck to your breeding program, if we can be of help let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:44 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

It seems that we are breeding in the same direction as you are and our vision is like wise. All we can do is keep breeding the best coon dog to the best in our lines. I have been looking for a few years for a out cross, but Have not been able to find it.