CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

 

It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 


Author Message
 Post subject: Stopping on track
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:49 pm 
IP:
Offline
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Joined: 27 Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Location: Mississippi
I am trying out a 3 year English female I took her last night (had a lil rain and wind) her first time out she struck on about 5 different trails (after a slow start had to walk with her a lil to get her started) but quit after about 100 yards should I blame this on weather her being in a new environment and more importantly what should I expect next time or do different


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

 

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
Author Message
 Post subject: Stopping on track
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:33 pm 
IP:
Offline
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Joined: 30 Dec 2011
Posts: 166
Location: Wv
I had a Bluetick male that did that. He started 10 tracks a night sometimes. Every once in awhile he worked one out and put a coon up but most of the time he Boo hooed awhile on them an came back. I don't believe he was running coons. I think he was running other game and realized that wasn't right and came back. I never caught him in the act of running trash but I could tell he was. Needless to say he didn't eat my food long.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Stopping on track
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:52 am 
IP:
Offline
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Joined: 17 Apr 2005
Posts: 3078
Location: Indiana
How long have you had her???? How many times have you hunted her????.Is she cheap???..Windy nights with some rain coon usually move pretty good..If your getting short tracks that just stop.Chances are the dog is running possums or (armodillos down south) and killing or catching them .Then going on hunting or comes back in...When getting a new dog it takes about 30 nights of hunting. To really know what kind of dog you have..Some dogs can look like crap for a week them look great.Or the other way around..Thats why you need 30 nights of hunting..I like to keep a dog at least a week before hunting it..I know that most guys take a dog home and hunt it the same night.That can be OK for a well broke dog.But most of the dogs you find forsale are not well broke..They have faults thats why they are forsale most of the time...

_________________
Check (Wild River Kennels) or me on Facebook. We have a few pics and video clips of our dogs Co-owner Tyler Stroh :Richmond IN Treeing Walkers
Nite Ch Southern Stylish Tide (7 gen all grand)
Nite Ch Deep Creek Stoney
Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl


Top
 Profile  WWW
Reply with quote  
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Stopping on track
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:32 am 
IP:
Offline
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Joined: 27 Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Location: Mississippi
Chet McCreary wrote:
How long have you had her???? How many times have you hunted her????.Is she cheap???..Windy nights with some rain coon usually move pretty good..If your getting short tracks that just stop.Chances are the dog is running possums or (armodillos down south) and killing or catching them .Then going on hunting or comes back in...When getting a new dog it takes about 30 nights of hunting. To really know what kind of dog you have..Some dogs can look like crap for a week them look great.Or the other way around..Thats why you need 30 nights of hunting..I like to keep a dog at least a week before hunting it..I know that most guys take a dog home and hunt it the same night.That can be OK for a well broke dog.But most of the dogs you find forsale are not well broke..They have faults thats why they are forsale most of the time...

This was the first day I had her and first hunt and he wants 700 for her I want get to hunt her again until Friday he said when I got her that it took him 3 hunt with her before she did well


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Stopping on track
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:00 pm 
IP:
Offline
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Joined: 17 Apr 2005
Posts: 3078
Location: Indiana
How long is the guy going to let you hunt her????...


Top
 Profile  WWW
Reply with quote  
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Stopping on track
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:19 pm 
IP:
Offline
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Joined: 27 Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Location: Mississippi
Chet McCreary wrote:
How long is the guy going to let you hunt her????...

Said till I'm satisfied


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Stopping on track
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:46 pm 
IP:
Offline
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 61
Location: nc
id say hunt her a few more times. she might no be use to you or not use to the area. but if she isnt turning out ,dont waste money on something if its not showing a end product.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Stopping on track
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:04 pm 
IP:
Offline
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Joined: 27 Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Location: Mississippi
silentstalknc wrote:
id say hunt her a few more times. she might no be use to you or not use to the area. but if she isnt turning out ,dont waste money on something if its not showing a end product.

Yea I've never ran a already trained dog I don't really know what to expect


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Stopping on track
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:03 am 
IP:
Offline
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Joined: 17 Apr 2005
Posts: 3078
Location: Indiana
$700 is not a bad price.Thats about what a good started dog is priced at..But Ive bought some really nice broke dogs for less..Ive also tryed out dogs for 10 times that. That I would not feed...LOL..Hunt her as much as the guy will let you .I tryed out 27 dogs before I bought my last really good dog.But Im kinda picky...LOL.....


Top
 Profile  WWW
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  

cron


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Want to DISABLE pop-up ads & banners after 1st post of threads? Become a member of the forum & view the forum logged in.

CLICK HERE for more info.

CoonDawgs.com - Your One Stop Coon Dog Source for Coon Hunting!!