CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Finishing a dog on tree?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What's the best way to finish a hound on the tree? 2 year old walker is striking and running a track super fast, after my female gets to the tree he's going around like he's checking himself, tracks back to the tree gets on it, jumps on it, bawls and chopps some and then leaves it checking around and back to the tree he goes. How do I get him to stay on the tree? I'm new to the training thing. Thank you, John

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:53 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

John W. Hardin wrote:
What's the best way to finish a hound on the tree? 2 year old walker is striking and running a track super fast, after my female gets to the tree he's going around like he's checking himself, tracks back to the tree gets on it, jumps on it, bawls and chopps some and then leaves it checking around and back to the tree he goes. How do I get him to stay on the tree? I'm new to the training thing. Thank you, John

I asked that a while back and many people told me that when i get to the tree to chain the dog up to it or around it. Hope it works out..

Pr"Houstons Outlaw Ringo"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i personally dont mind a dog that circles a tree as long as he trees hard enough for me to get to it,,,,out here fox and cats like to jump and sneak out on ya,,,if a dog does some checking and circling its less likely to get away,,,,
however tie the dog up to the tree and eventually he will get the idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:31 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i disagree with jplum i think this is a big fault to the dog but i do agree with tieing the dog up as soon as u get to the tree and have someone untie him when the coon starts coming out if u r going to shoot it out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ido want him to check himself but I would like him to be a little harder on the tree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:40 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

get in there and leash him to the tree. then love him up real good and get him treeing real good. then shoot the coon to him but only if he trees good on it. if he doesnt tree good tie him back and let your other dog have it while he watches. he will come around with more hunt time. GOOD LUCK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:58 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

VaCoonHunter wrote:
i disagree with jplum i think this is a big fault to the dog but i do agree with tieing the dog up as soon as u get to the tree and have someone untie him when the coon starts coming out if u r going to shoot it out

i understand why u disagree,,,,it wouldnt look good for a comp dog to circle the tree,,,,,,but trust me out here pleasure hunting it aint such a bad thing,,we dont got no trouble catching game with some ol dog with faults

but i do agree 99% of people would see it as a fault,,but if those 99% hunted with the dog they would change their mind in a hurry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:09 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

im having the same type of problem...my dog does super on the track, then she'll tree right by herself. i clocked her one time with my old dog..134 bpm. the problem is that when i hunt her by herself (which i have been lately), she'll tree until i get almost in seeing distance, then she'll come off the tree and act like she's hunting again. chet told me to chain her, but i cant get to her to see what tree she's on. any suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:28 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

BCOCHRAN wrote:
im having the same type of problem...my dog does super on the track, then she'll tree right by herself. i clocked her one time with my old dog..134 bpm. the problem is that when i hunt her by herself (which i have been lately), she'll tree until i get almost in seeing distance, then she'll come off the tree and act like she's hunting again. chet told me to chain her, but i cant get to her to see what tree she's on. any suggestions.

after she comes off,,,she wont go back to the tree at all?? im just trying to make sure i understand correctly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:49 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

...I think every dog should be chained back at the tree .Just to make them stay put..BUT you dont want to grab a dog and look for trees they located on..Most dogs will locate several times on bad old tracks..Before they ever tree.Most dogs have a type of bark they only give on the tree when they will stay put.You just have to listen for it....I own a dog right now that most guys would think is leaving all kinds of trees..BUT I know the dog real well..LOL...He gives a little grunt when he stays on a tree.With out the grunt hes not going to stay on any tree.... Id also say dogs need lighted dog collars just so you can watch what they are doing on trees...It also makes it easyer to follow them in the woods.....This time of year real nice dogs can look bad.......LOL....My buddy called me tonight about getting rid of his dogs. Because they are not looking to good right now......LOL..Hes owns some real nice dogs..They are just hot nosed and look great in warmer weather........

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Chet McCreary wrote:
...I think every dog should be chained back at the tree .Just to make them stay put..BUT you dont want to grab a dog and look for trees they located on..Most dogs will locate several times on bad old tracks..Before they ever tree.Most dogs have a type of bark they only give on the tree when they will stay put.You just have to listen for it....I own a dog right now that most guys would think is leaving all kinds of trees..BUT I know the dog real well..LOL...He gives a little grunt when he stays on a tree.With out the grunt hes not going to stay on any tree.... Id also say dogs need lighted dog collars just so you can watch what they are doing on trees...It also makes it easyer to follow them in the woods.....This time of year real nice dogs can look bad.......LOL....My buddy called me tonight about getting rid of his dogs. Because they are not looking to good right now......LOL..Hes owns some real nice dogs..They are just hot nosed and look great in warmer weather........

u are exactly right that is what i was trying to get at when i stated that i dont mind a dog that doesnt just hammer 100 barks per minute and circles some just to be sure,,,alot of guys wouldnt like my dog i dont guess but hes sure enough as good as they come,,,i can tell if hes treed or not b/c i know the dog,,,,i dont like a 100 bark a minute type dog anyways hell it get annoying when im trying to see what he caught,,,,,dont get me wrong i want a dog that will bark treed and stay put,,,but 20-30 barks a minute is more than sufficient for me,,,,,especially if theres more than one dog on the tree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:55 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

what about rut and all of that...why is it that when coon rut it is harder for one to hunt them? for example deer hunting is when you wanna really hunt. wouldnt the coons be moving more during rut?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

That's a good question also

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:18 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i understand why u disagree,,,,it wouldnt look good for a comp dog to circle the tree,,,,,,but trust me out here pleasure hunting it aint such a bad thing,,we dont got no trouble catching game with some ol dog with faults

but i do agree 99% of people would see it as a fault,,but if those 99% hunted with the dog they would change their mind in a hurry[/quote]

i am a pleasure hunter as well and although checking themselves is a good thing once is all a dog should need and it should do it before it comes on the wood i think when a dog sets up on the wood it should hammer down with 100 percent confidence in itself

i think to hear a hound treeing at the end of the race is the best part of it if ur in it just for the kill then u might as well not be in it at all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:15 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The rut can mess up some dogs.Just because the boar coon leave so much scent on the ground and coming off trees...A rutting boar will check every den in a area looking for females in heat.Thats why a lot of boars will have the back of there neck rubbed raw.From going into so many dens...but its also a good time of year to start a dog. Because of the hotter scent trails....

Profile  WWW