CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: rig dogging
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:46 pm 
IP:
will any trained coondog be able to rig or is there any special way to make them do it?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:20 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i have 4 of my dogs that will rigg a coon/bear track and all of my dogs road hunt...

DON'T FORGET PAPERS MEAN A LIL' BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN PAPERS PUT A COON IN A TREE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:51 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i think it's just a case of some hounds that will sound off when they pick up a scent when riding around. i read somewhere that you can encourage your dog to rig hunt by hanging a caged coon in a tree, near a road. you drive by the coon and you dog should pick up the scent and signal. i haven't tried it but it sounds interesting. my cur likes to ride with her head out the window. if she gets a scent, she will start whinning. so far though, she hasn't found anything, so maybe she just wants out..

Post subject: rigging
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

the best way that i've figured out is to put something with a lot of scent like a drag or a coon by the side of the road in a bush so he cant see it. i dont do it with coon cause i dont hunt coon but i usually start off by using a drag and put a lot of scent down at the first and drag it accross the road and then hide it in a bush i use lion or bear scent but it should work on coon if thats what your hunting and when he fires up on it let him out and love him up good. keep doin it every now and again using smaller amounts of scent each time when he starts to fire up and hardly misses take a caged coon and put it in a bush where he cant see it and when he strikes dump him out and see if he finds it. ONLY DO THAT ONE TIME BECAUSE YOU DONT WANT TO RUIN THE DOG BY SHOWIN HIM A LOT OF CAGED ANIMALS. then take another caged coon and turn it loose ten miniutes or so before you drive down the road with your dog remove the trap before you take your dog you dont want him to run to the trap drive slow and when you get to where you turned the coon loose wait for him to strike and then dump him out and let him run the track hopefully he trees it. hope this works for ya remember only let him see the one caged coon. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:45 pm 
IP:
thanks alot guys, ill have to try it with a caged one, my dogs only about a year and a half old, he just started hunting on his own actually, i won't be doing alot of riggin' just thought that it'd be fun to try and fun to teach the dog how to do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:46 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

than others. My current hound will rig on bear, but not on coon, even though I hunt him on coon. Bears are just stinkier, I think.
I let my red dog ride in the Jeep with me, with windows open, but strapped in with a seatbelt. He often rides with his head out the window and his nose going. Since he is semi-silent on the ground, I don't really expect him to open in the Jeep but I can hear his nose going and sometimes he starts getting excited in more subtle ways, usually because he's winded something interesting. On the other hand, his predecessor could be sound asleep on the seat with the windows closed and would wake up wide open if a coon crossed the road in front of me.
The easiest way to encourage rigging is to put him in the box or on the rig with another dog that rigs well. If you reward the dogs by turning them out when they rig, they usually catch on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:11 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

best thing i can tell you is get a dog that will rigg and then its like monkey see monkey do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:40 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Ok but how do i get the dog to ride on my hood and not jump off. Or ride on there period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:45 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i hope ur not stickin ur dogs on the Hood lol. im pretty sure they r tipically in the back of the truck snapped 2 it with lead or somethin like that.

RIP THROUGH THE NIGHT WITH A BOBCAT LIGHT If you want a good dependable light give Bob a call at 918-822-8888

They call me Chief not mess around 4 a reason :)... Ole Stone Mountains Billy Bob and Copper, Good as the Best and Better than the Rest. Names Stoney. wanna hunt give me a call or text @ 918-497-0269

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:49 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My hound will rig one every now and then. When its nice out I just tie her in my box and she will rig one about every other time when traveling to and from places. I never worked with her on it, and she has only been around two other dogs that will do it, and niether of them were really worked with either. They all just started doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:30 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

well its either that or the roof i have a suzuki samurai ( mini suv ) thats my hunting vehical

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

YA;LL TALKING BOUT DOGS WINDING COON OR TRACK FROM TRUCK ?NEVER HEARD THE TERM RIGGING OR RIG DOGGING BEFORE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:52 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

It is more or less winding a coon from a pickup or rig box. A lot of big game hunters will rig their hounds so they can try to get them on the hottest track possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:01 pm 
IP:
You can help to train a dog to rig, but the good ones are natural. All you really need to do is help them get accustomed to ridding on the hood or box etc. Yes you can rig from the hood of a Suzuki. Been doin it for years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:24 am 
IP:
btt