CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Pistol vs. Rifle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:07 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Looking for opinions on whether to carry a pistol or long gun coon huntin. I currently have a Marlin .22 long rifle w/ a scope that I carry but can be a pain lugging through the woods while running two dogs. Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Pistol vs. Rifle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:05 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I went to Walmart and bought a davy cricket kids 22. Single shot bolt action. 100$. It's awesome. Cheap enough to beat on but accurate enough to shoot the nuts off a Nat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:29 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

its hard to say what a good gun to use is. but a pistol is less accurate unless u practice a lot with it. easier to carry though. i tote a 17 hmr one shot one kill. i tried a pistol. very easy to carry but took more shots than i care to say. i also have to carry a machete most placesi hunt are thick. last tree took over an hour to get to but dog were only treed less than a 150 yards. florida swamps. wet and thick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Was looking at the mark III pistol and putting a red dot on it... Or figuring out a different way to carry my long gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:09 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

To me it's kinda a trade off. I always carry my SR22/crimson trace lazer on my coon light belt always. It's louder than my .22 marlin/synthetic stock/scope and honestly I use more shells when trying to hit the coon vs the rifle with scope. Especially when I 1st started packing it, like the guy b4 more shells than I care to mention. I prefer to use the rifle with scope in a perfect world, one where I didn't have to lug it thro branches,bluffs,briars, and creeks etc...for long distances.
So when I go hunting by myself I very rarely use the rifle, if a friend or the guy who doesn't have a dog in the race goes and wants to pack the rifle and wants to shoot the coon then we take it ..because the rule of thumb for us is if u pack the rifle you shoot the coon.
Also once you practice and get used to using the pistol/lazer at various distances the pistol is nice and its also like a handy dandy pointer to show other people where to look at when looking for the coon especially when the leaves are on etc..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

never thought bout laser sights. heck yeah. u just made my day. pistol does beat lugging a rifle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:17 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a Ruger mark II and it is dead accurate at any distance. Problem is at 49 I just cant find the coon up the tree without a scope and a spotlight. I carry a Marlin 25N .22 with a scope on it and that sucker is wicked accurate, but carry it barrel up and it hangs on every tree branch there is following ol Ruby through the woods, carry it barrel down and I'm beatin it off logs and boulders and sit down on a log and now the barrel is full of snow or mud. My solution is after coon kill season to take it to my gunsmith and have the barrel cut from 21" to 16". That should do it i hope. I looked at the Cricket .22's but I want a clip, sometimes that coon is in a pine down low and when commotion starts under him, and the lead starts flyin he is climbing for the stars where I can't see him, I want that quick second shot. My daughter has savage youth .22 but believe it or not its only an inch shorter than my Marlin bolt gun. Coon huntin is hard on a gun, find you a good one cheap at a gun show or yard sale or out the classified ads and cut the barrel down to minimum 16". Yer gonna beat the heck outta it anyway. My other solution is to let the girlfriend carry the gun and who cares how long or heavy it is ha.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I had the exact same problem. I love my Marlin but it was just too clunky to run coons with. I switched to a Taurus Tracker 992. Love that pistol but just isn't doing it. My solution: I created a new stock for my Marlin. It will be in production hopefully this summer. It will have a pistol grip and accept AR stocks. So you can have a telescoping or folding stock. It will have front rails for lasers and lights and all the goodies. Watch my site it will be out soon and I promise it won't disappoint.

http://www.huntingtactical.com/

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:48 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Here's a picture of my prototype. This does not have "all" wonderful features the finished product is going to have. This is just what I made out of a Marlin. I can't talk about the features just yet as I'm in the process of patenting them. But you can get the idea and proof it works.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:56 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Here is a picture of my latest prototype. I filed my patent on it last week. It has new adjustable features in the butt-stock and pistol grip. You can adjust the pistol grip to your hand size (distance to the trigger) and the angle of the butt-stock. What do you think?
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... g3awd.jpeg
[url]Image[/url]
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... um6c5l.jpg

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:57 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

http://huntingtactical.com/firearm-acce ... ical-ht60/

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:53 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

That's pretty slick!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:01 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Cool hand Luke wrote:
That's pretty slick!

Thanks it has taken a lot of work to get this far. Hopefully I can get some investment into the company and get it into production.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:38 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Best of luck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:05 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I know it has been a while for this thread but I didn't want this to come across as an ad. I just wanted to follow up on the subject. This stock has gone into production and is now commercially available. If you have an old Glenfield/Marlin 60 or 795 check it out.
http://huntingtactical.com/HT60

Profile  WWW