CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Raised Kennel Floors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:29 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Just wondering what some of you with raised kennels (Like a Scott Kennel) use as an affordable floor...The Scott Kennels have a grate type thing, but they want $30 for 2 feet...Just wondering what some cheaper options are???

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:26 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

go to your local gravel pit and get some discarded gravel screens

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:39 pm 
IP:
I had one I built like the Scott type. I used expanded metal. I don't remember how much it was, just that it was alot cheaper at the time compared to the Scott flooring.

Post subject: flooring
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I use 2' X4' panels from a duck house. same style panels can be purchased for I think around $15.00. Easy to clean and take care of

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:09 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i bilt my floor with 2 x 6 treated lumber
i used the 2 x 6 for framing and decking
the deck is 10 x 31 cost $800
very easy to keep clean
i made 3 10 x 10 lots and have 3 happy coondogs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:00 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i use 2x2's set 3/4 of an inch apart.

Post subject: flooring
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I built a subfloor with 2"pvc every 3' then I screwed 5/16 treated deck boards and spaced them 6" apart Then I went to Tractor Supply Co. and bought horse stall mats they are 4'x6' 3/4"thick the mats were $30.00 each and very easy to clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:38 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

How do you guys keep these kennels clean? Do you have to use a hose or pressure washer to keep waste from sticking to the gratting, or does it generally fall through onto concreate or something? I would like to see some pictures of your setups. I am rebuilding my kennel in the next couple of weeks and would like to build mine with a raised floor/hutch style kennel, there's going to be 2 bays 4.5'x10' and I am goi the have 30' run lines outside the kennel for during the day so when I open the doos they will have enough chain to get back into the kennel out of the weather or run out on the line for some extra room. I am also fencing in a 2 acre section of woods with 6' chain link fencing to let pups out into to get used to running and figuring things out for them selves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:30 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

the waste falls through to the ground and i just scoop it and pitch it. i don't use treated wood because the stool sticks to it. i've built my own and used them for 36 years. long before scotts ever made them. raised alot of hounds and beagles in them. i would not use any other kennel set up. the way i build them they last bout 15 years. i 've tried every type of kennel set up and these are the only way to go. cost bout $200 to build one right. and most of that is the 90 bucks for the insulated dog house...........TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:51 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

materials needed. 4 treated 4x4 x6ft /2 10ft 2x4 treated/ 5 8ft 2x4 treated/ 32 4ft 2x2 untreated/ 16ft 3ft high chain link fence/ 1 full 4x8 1/4 inch sheet of plywood/ 1/2 sheet of 1/2 in plywood. 1 dog house, nails ,screws ,2 hinges,1 latch-----they come out 6ft high 8 ft long. close to 4 ft wide, floor is 3 ft off ground, door on one end , dog house on the other. use the 10 ft 2x4 for bottom rails .leave 2 ft of them stick out past legs to set the dog house on , 2 8ft 2x4 as top rails. frame both ends with cut 2x4 , space 2x2 2inches apart for floor and fence the sides.8 ft down each side.put 1 8ft 2x4 down the center of top so roof bows over it,full sheet plywood for top/ half sheet for front with door........simple.......if you interlock your framing on the ends they will not wiggle , wobble or walk..............TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:36 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I am going to be building my new kennel within the week and am going to try do something very similar to how you described. I am going to have a total of three runs 10x4.5'. Do you think those runs are large enough for hounds. They are going to be on 30' run lines during the day and in their kennels at night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:48 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

one suggestion i have is do not have a fence seperating two stalls. dogs can and often will face bark each other and get bad habbits toward other dogs.one dog finishes its food before the other and may start blowing at the other , or if one has a bone or what ever. my kennels are 4 feet apart from each other. i know a man with his pens side by side sharing the same walls on one side. every dog he gets is ill and wanting to fight within a year of living like that. 10 ft long and 4- 1/2 ft wide is sure nuff big enough...............TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:33 am 
IP:
My buddy has the same setup. (fence seperating stalls) and his dogs are fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:57 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

wvcur wrote:
My buddy has the same setup. (fence seperating stalls) and his dogs are fine
alot of kennels are like that and alot of dogs are fine with it.but the thing is , when you relize one dog is not fine because of it, and you fined it has caused one to be a face barker or tree fighter. you might as well just have the dog put down , because you will not stop a tree fighter once they start.don't matter if it is bred into the dog or man caused by how it was raised or kenneled.also if you have your kennels inspected for a kennel license , the dogs must be seperated so they cannot touch each other.that way if you have one sick dog , they will not all get sick.you must also have a perimeter fence so no stray dog can come in contact with the penned dogs , can't even touch noses.........TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:28 am 
IP:
[every dog he gets is ill and wanting to fight within a year of living like that]TC

Maybe its a problem your buddy has with one of his permanent dogs causing the newer dogs to face bark and be ill. Beacsue like i said my buddy has had this setup for like 15 years and has never had any problems like the ones you describe[/quote]